1950's Hunting Gear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

1950's Hunting Gear

Post by RustyJr »

At the age of 15 my mom bought my grandfather's deer rifle (Remington 721 270 Winchester) from my uncle so that I could have it. She gave him $500.00 for the rifle which was more than it was worth monetarily but to me it was then and will always remain priceless. At the time that I got it from my uncle it had see through mounts and a old Bushnell scope on it that wouldn't hold its zero. Since then I have put a set of Leupold rings and had a modern K4 Weaver on in an effort to keep it retro. I recently purchased some reloading supplies and some other things from a friend of mine. Included in the deal was a Steel tube K4 Weaver (made in USA) and a copy of "Sportman's Arms and Ammunition Manual" written by Jack O'Connor. The copyright for the book is 1952 and it is marked the first edition. There is a price of $3.50 written on the inside of the cover. Since acquiring the scope I have now mounted it to my grandfather's rifle and let me tell you . . . it was made for it :D . The rifle was first manufactured in 1948, the K4 in 1947. I intend to load it with a 130 grain Partition which was also introduced in 1948. The sling that is on the rifle is that one that was on it when I received it from my uncle. I have tried to take my first deer with it for a few years now without success. Maybe this year my luck will change.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1950's Hunting Gear

Post by PaperPatch »

Very nice rifle Rusty....and with the story it becomes a gem of family history. Well done.

:wink:
Last edited by PaperPatch on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's a real fine story!! along with a nice old rifle

have a 300 H&H in 721 bought it in 86 & used it a lot
it has a story but not like yours

ollogger
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a great looking rifle and scope. I wanted one in 257 Roberts in the worse way. While I was dreaming, also thought how come they couldn't have made a left handed version. As great as the M700's are, they don't visually come up to those rifles looks.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RustyJr wrote:I have tried to take my first deer with it for a few years now without success.
Well of course you didn't succeed - that gun is OLD, the scope is OLD, and that type of bullet is OBSOLETE. The gun needs a nylon sling, too. Maybe refinish in a tactical matte finish with some ceramic component. Get rid of that warp-prone wood stock while you're at it.

Get it re-chambered in a Short Magnum, or better yet an Ultra-Short Magnum, THEN maybe it will kill deer. If possible make sure it's either .338 caliber or 6.8 mm, because none of the other calibers have enough accuracy to hit the vital zone of game beyond 50-60 yards. You surely realize there are no AR-15 platform guns in 277 caliber, so it obviously is a caliber on the way out; probably won't be able to get "270 Winchester" ammo in another year or two.

:wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great outfit - like what you have done with it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Nice rifle, Rusty!

My first rifle was a 721 in 06. They are fine guns and are surprisingly accurate. I always thought mine wasa 2" gun at 100 yards until I shot it from a lead sled and had a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards!

Keep packing it in the woods and you will bag that deer. :D
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very cool 8)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Old Savage wrote:Great outfit - like what you have done with it.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

I admire the way you think. Retro is good. Your grandfather would be gratified.

Regards, Gerry.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

A priceless gem and very fine hunting rifle. I hope you get that deer!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

The older I get the less I like newer stuff. That is a great story and rifle. I am sure your grandfather approves.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ethang wrote:The older I get the less I like newer stuff. That is a great story and rifle. I am sure your grandfather approves.
I'm right there with ya :wink:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's an awesome rifle and priceless story!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That is a fine vintage American rifle and I am glad you have it. Even better because it belonged to your Grandfather. You uncle is a slug for gouging your mom on the price. He should have given it to you. I would have.

I recently returned a sword to a family after it had been missing for over 100 years. Took me some research and a few years, but it happened at last. These things belong with the family.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm glad to hear your Mom went the extra mile for you, Rusty - securing your heritage.

Don't worry about the deer - just relax, take it out & enjoy the day(s), and the game will be sure to follow, sooner or later.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Outstanding rifle and outfittig. That rifle will work for you and can be passed forward again. They were a blend of serious purpose and art to the sportsman. The hardware and spirit of the sporstman are alive and well in you. That is real nice to see in todays world.

The first deer is the best so don't give up.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Charles wrote:That is a fine vintage American rifle and I am glad you have it. Even better because it belonged to your Grandfather. You uncle is a slug for gouging your mom on the price. He should have given it to you. I would have.

I recently returned a sword to a family after it had been missing for over 100 years. Took me some research and a few years, but it happened at last. These things belong with the family.

Charles, Rusty's grandfather was a very giving man. The rest of the story, so to speak is that years ago there were a lot of cousins in the family that Grandpa Jess allowed to use that very rifle to take their first deer. Those "boys" are all now in their 60's as well. When we told them at a family reunion how we got the rifle most of them were fit to be tied. They all said you know I would have loved to have that rifle cause it belonged to uncle Jess but that boy has a right to it and you shouldn't have had to buy it. While that may be true the way some feel the important thing is it got to stay in the family and he's proud to have it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty Jr, I know that you are real proud of your mama and 'Ol Rusty.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

At the age of 15 my mom bought my grandfather's deer rifle (Remington 721 270 Winchester) from my uncle so that I could have it. She gave him $500.00 for the rifle which was more than it was worth monetarily
Nice story. My question is, where did a 15 year old girl get $500?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Great heirloom rifle and story !

I only see one little hitch in this whole thing -

you're going to have to shoot a 65 year old deer to keep everything consistent. :D

( "Goliath" shown here is a farm-raised deer )
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Great story and a great Mom to make the purchase. I don't hold your uncle to the same respect as your mother. She was wanting to give her son a piece of family history and "Ol Unc" took advantage. Regardless of my thoughts on him, I think you have already made your Grandpa proud by taking care of it like you have. Good hunting.