Running up the rabbit tab ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Running up the rabbit tab ....

Post by 86er »

The boys have their two cousins visiting for 3 weeks. This means they cannot get away often enough to shoot the rabbits at their summer job. This is not good since we need those days in Bob's pool more than ever for the 4 kids. I talked to Bob and decided to stand-in for the boys. First, I helped Bob sight in his own 1947 Marlin 39A. We added a new, taller front sight that was needed. Next, he made a new rear sight elevator (retired locksmith - made one from a key blank). We took his ammo and ran it through Paco's Accurizer and added the Nasty-Nose. Then we sighted in at 50 yards. For my own use, I took out my 2002 Henry H001. I put the Hi-Viz steel front sight system on it and chose the red fiber dot (it comes with red, green, black, white and yellow). Next I changed to rear sight to a Tru-Glo Extreme with Ghost Ring. This is a dovetailed sight tang with a lock-screw, elevation adjustment screw and dovetailed Ghost Ring that features two green dots and is windage adjustable with a set screw. This sight set-up gave me a great view, excellent accuracy and kept the weight and profile of the rifle that would have been disturbed with a scope or any larger sights. This rifle liked some old Remington Target Match ammo the best with 50 yard groups routinely staying in a quarter sized orange dot sticker. Now to the rabbit shoot ... I told Bob I would "back him up" if he missed, and therefore earn the "day in the pool" for the kids. He said we'd only take head shots for more challenge and insurance that any hits would keep them down. We settling into our spot and used the Leupold rangefinder as a monocular. The first rabbit appeared at 57 yards. I was up first so I held the sights where I could just see ears over the top of them. At the shot I did not see anything. I wandered out there and found the shot was true. The next one showed up at 61 yards and Bob took his shot. It went down instantly and I played retriever (Bob has MS and can't walk out there). This shot went just under the head but was squarely in the neck and effective. The next one was facing us for a long time. It looked further than the rangefinders indication of 50 yards. Bob told me to shoot since we were doing head-shots only. Again, just seeing ears I squeezed the trigger. It ended up being a very small rabbit but the shot was very good, only ears and a little piece of skin were connected to the rest of the body. The last one to show up was the furthest at 68 yards. Bob aimed in and so did I. At Bob's shot I saw the body leap into my sights and I cracked a shot off. Neither of us saw anything for a minute. I wandered out there and found it. Bob's shot hit the head where he was aiming and sure enough there was another hole about mid-way back. That'll get the kids 4 days in Bob's pool! What are good neighbors for?

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Running up the rabbit tab ....

Post by Nath »

Cracking write up as ever Joe.

I enjoyed that. Good shooting sir.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Cracking write up as ever Joe.

I enjoyed that. Good shooting sir.

Nath.
+ 1.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bet those rabbits wished they only had that Mr. McGregor to deal with. :lol:

Canned rabbit--------------------------"it's what's for dinner" :D

Otherwise filling the freezer for sure.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Actually found a good use for the rabbits. The Wylie wildlife rehab sanctuary will take frozen rabbits, whole and in quantities of at least 12 for the big cats and birds that reside there. Summer rabbits are iffy for human consumption so this was a nice way to make good use of them.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And, if you keep the rabbit population in check, the coyotes will not usually become a problem. 2 good things.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It WAS a good writeup!

Sounds like fun, too. 8)

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

86er wrote:Actually found a good use for the rabbits. The Wylie wildlife rehab sanctuary will take frozen rabbits, whole and in quantities of at least 12 for the big cats and birds that reside there. Summer rabbits are iffy for human consumption so this was a nice way to make good use of them.

Ya. I thought that when typing it Joe------But you got to remember (your taking to a dude that has eaten road kill) :lol: ----least fresh road kill-----(deer---just couple times, like along my place)and I do mean steaming fresh(course with proper LEO OK) :wink:

Hey-----------------------meat is meat! :oops:

About anything but Opossum! :shock:

Baked Opossum ?????????-----------had it (once) a dude's grandmother baked it(Good grief) makes woodchuck taste like Filet Mignon.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

86er wrote:Actually found a good use for the rabbits. The Wylie wildlife rehab sanctuary will take frozen rabbits, whole and in quantities of at least 12 for the big cats and birds that reside there. Summer rabbits are iffy for human consumption so this was a nice way to make good use of them.
That's awsome :)