Havalon Knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Havalon Knives

Post by jkbrea »

Has anyone else used these knives for hunting? I bought a hunting one and a filet one. They are sooo sharp its scary. Instead of sharpening them, you simply replace the blade. I used the filet knife on several trout and it was great except I wish they made a longer blade. I'll try the hunting blade this fall on elk. Last year I saw a Game & Fish officer using one on an elk to get tissue samples and he loved it. The blade seems a little thin but they make a thicker one. There are several youtube videos showing them dressing game. They are not too expensive so its worth a try. I never could sharpen a knife worth a dang so popping on a fresh blade is convenient. Anyone use one on big game?

http://m.havalon.com/
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Havalon Knives

Post by wolfdog »

I have one I received as a gift last Christmas. I have not used it yet, but the friend who gave it to me swears by them.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Probably be great for someone who doesn't enjoy sharpening knives.
At least you know you'll have a sharp knife when it's needed.
I personally get satisfaction and some relax time hand sharpening my knives on a whetstone.
Probably the same as guys that hand load their own ammo. verses guys like me that buy
their ammo. at Wally world. :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen them in stores, but have not tried them. I am able to sharpen a knife. It is one of the skills my Dad taught me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

I received one for fathers day last year. I used it on an elk I shot in the fall. The blades are very fragile, I broke two doing the gutting and skinning job. I think I could have done the whole job with one blade if I would have taken my time and stayed away from bones. Overall I feel it's a good knife and worth having.

Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I carry one (the Piranta) daily. It's definately not a fighter or knife you can pry with, but I don't like to pry with a blade anyway. I also like the fact that I can carry spare STERILE blades for EMT work.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have two and use them for opening the hide of ungulates for field dressing and for caping. Not tough enough for hogs or bears, etc.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

keyston44 wrote:I received one for fathers day last year. I used it on an elk I shot in the fall. The blades are very fragile, I broke two doing the gutting and skinning job. I think I could have done the whole job with one blade if I would have taken my time and stayed away from bones. Overall I feel it's a good knife and worth having.

Key
They make a thicker blade now. I have some and will test them out in the fall.
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

I can't imagine they would be thick enough to do what I shouldn't have been doing with mine. Trying to cut the tail and open up the hip bone. You will still need a regular hunting knife for that.

Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I tied one on a elk didnt care for the results blades are to fragile and you worry about applying to much pressure and snapping a blade and cutting yourself. Over the years Ive found a Mora knife with a 4" blade work best for breaking down game and with the built in bevel a monkey can sharpen them a couple of strops each side with a diamond stone or steel brings them back to shaving sharp. Lay them down in the snow or duff you can find them. danny
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I bought one out of curiosity (they are relatively inexpensive) and carry it in my laptop bag. Scary sharp, and being able to swap in new blades keeps it that way. Anyway, the thing has held up really well considering the things I've ended up cutting with it (like stranded copper wire). So, I bought a fillet model and have been very happy with it.

I haven't used one to skin anything larger than a coon, but it made very quick work of that. I wonder if they have enough beef for larger critters, but some of the reports I've read say they work fine on critters as large as black bear (now there's a skinning job). I don't recall how many blades they went thru for the bigger critters.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad