Humor - Church services

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Humor - Church services

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Thought you guys might enjoy this one.

One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Alex standing in the foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with names with small American flags mounted on either side of it.
The seven year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the little boy, and said quietly, "Good morning Alex."
"Good morning Father, what is this?" he asked the pastor.
The pastor said, "Well, son, it's a memorial plaque to all the young men and women who died in the Service."
Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque. Finally, little Alex's voice, barely audible and trembling with fear, he asked, "Which service, the 8:30 or the 10:45?"
Last edited by Kilroy6644 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Humor - To those who died in the service

Post by Jarhead »

Kilroy6644 wrote:Thought you guys might enjoy this one.

One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Alex standing in the foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with names with small American flags mounted on either side of it.
The seven year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the little boy, and said quietly, "Good morning Alex."
"Good morning Father, what is this?" he asked the pastor.
The pastor said, "Well, son, it's a memorial plaque to all the young men and women who died in the Service."
Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque. Finally, little Alex's voice, barely audible and trembling with fear, he asked, "Which service, the 8:30 or the 10:45?"
This subject matter is not to be made sport of!!! You should have more respect for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice...regardless. This is not funny.
Semper Fi
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

JARHEAD,

ITS A JOKE! No disrespect is intended towards those that served.

I guess you never sat through a baptist service as a kid on a hot summer day. There were days as a kid I swore I would die before it was over.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I don't think that he meant any disrespect to our fallen heros, I think he just wanted to bring some smiles to the board.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've heard that one before.....it was funny then, too.....

Jarhead, I'm sure no disrespect was intended......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

The subject line is in poor taste, very poor taste,,,

Those words should not be in the same sentence.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Having known individuals who were later killed in the line of military duty, I have no doubt at all they would find the joke quite funny. THAT is the standard I usually use for appropriateness for matters involving humor - would the ones we 'take offense' of vicariously really, in fact, be offended?

So, count me in for a chuckle, with NO disrespect ever for those who fight for freedom.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Nothing could be worse for a kid sitting and listening to a minister who may well not know what he's talking about, just going on and on endlessly, when that kid has got more important things to do. This kid was just replying to what he saw, and what was on his mind. Pretty funny thing, coming from a little kid.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

It is ONLY a joke about the INNOCENSE OF YOUTH nothing else! and to that, I found it cute.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

oldmax wrote:The subject line is in poor taste, very poor taste,,,

I agree....
Semper Fi
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Jarhead wrote:

I agree....
I think you've earned a merit badge from the political correctness police.

Now, do you need a hanky?

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

FWiedner wrote:
Jarhead wrote:

I agree....
I think you've earned a merit badge from the political correctness police.

Now, do you need a hanky?

:lol:
No hanky needed...I might need one at my reunion this year though. I'll be paying my respects to my fallen brothers in May. My shadow box is full...don't have room for a merit badge.
We have a "Wall of Honor," and a Sunday service given by a Navy Chaplain....not a dry eye in the ranks. Perhaps you would like to go to our reunion and hand out hankys?

Happy Easter tough BOY?? :lol:

"You talk the talk...do you walk the walk?"
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I did not find it funny at all. In certain settings, it might be funny, but my brother just left for his third tour, and he is a combat medic, which is not one of the safer jobs over there. It will be some time before I can laugh at this. Don't get me wrong; I understand morbid humor quite well, being a big-city police patrolman, but for me, today, this was not funny.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Rexster wrote:I did not find it funny at all. In certain settings, it might be funny, but my brother just left for his third tour, and he is a combat medic, which is not one of the safer jobs over there.
The bravest MEN are Army Medics and Navy Corpman....God Bless your Brother!

As you know being a Police Officer....Anybody can shoot off thier mouth...
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

4t5 wrote:It is ONLY a joke about the INNOCENSE OF YOUTH nothing else! and to that, I found it cute.
I agree totally.

Jarhead, you sound bitter. Plain and simple. I don't believe your fellows that fell would like to hear you like this. You can remember them and honor them without out the hostility. Now, stop picking fights where there aren't any.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Andrew wrote:
4t5 wrote:It is ONLY a joke about the INNOCENSE OF YOUTH nothing else! and to that, I found it cute.
I agree totally.

Jarhead, you sound bitter. Plain and simple. I don't believe your fellows that fell would like to hear you like this. You can remember them and honor them without out the hostility. Now, stop picking fights where there aren't any.
Enough said...Have a great Easter... :) God Bless...

I can't speak for the Marines on the Wall and don't know what they might be thinking...I know they would not think much of me if I allowed someone to insult me. I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours...
Semper Fi
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

joke

Post by joachim slim »

i got a chuckle.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I thought it was funny. I stop at every Vietnam and other war memorial I can, and I've taught my kids the same. I am also active duty National Gaurd.

To those crying about it, throw on a fresh pair of panties and quit reading books about being sensitive and your feminine side. Waah.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

sore shoulder wrote:I thought it was funny. I stop at every Vietnam and other war memorial I can, and I've taught my kids the same. I am also active duty National Gaurd.

To those crying about it, throw on a fresh pair of panties and quit reading books about being sensitive and your feminine side. Waah.
Didn't know they issued panties in the National Guard? Books?
Semper Fi
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Cute one Kilroy! I'll have to tell it to the gang I work with!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I thought it was funny. I stop at every Vietnam and other war memorial I can, and I've taught my kids the same. I am also active duty National Gaurd.

Only to the females. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote:

I bet they look good on ya! :lol: And thanks for paying your respects to my brothers at the Memorials you like to visit. I don't enjoy visiting them myself...once a year is enough.
Semper Fi
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote:

I bet they look good on ya! :lol: And thanks for paying your respects to my brothers at the Memorials you like to visit. i don't enjoy visiting them myself...once a year is enough.
There is just something icky about a Marine wanting to see a male soldier wearing issue panties. :lol:
11B30
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote: Didn't know they issued panties in the National Guard? Books?
I bet they look good on ya! :lol: And thanks for paying your respects to my brothers at the Memorials you like to visit. i don't enjoy visiting them myself...once a year is enough.
There is just something icky about a Marine wanting to see a male soldier wearing issue panties. :lol:
I think it would be funny :lol: "icky?" that's what my little girls used to say...when they didn't like something. Thanks for serving your country...seen combat yet?
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Say what you want.

I agree that the title of this thread is offensive to many of us. The little joke about the boy and the pastor is one thing, but putting "humor" and "for those who died in the service" together in the title is offensive to me.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As result of listening to similar discussions & reading similar threads over the last few years, here's my take on why this can be offensive or not funny to some. I once heard it described as the slow steady drip theory: a slow steady water drip that will eventually wear away the foundation of a house.

Such jokes are considered as a sign of a weakening of the moral concept that certain subjects or topics, once considered "sacred," no longer are.

For example, in the 1950's Armistice Day (AKA Veterans Day) & Decoration Day (AKA Memorial Day) had meaning. On November 11 @ 11:00 AM, everything stopped -- except traffic --for one minute. On May 30 -- Decoration Day -- there was one minute of silent reflection @ noon. A house w/ a Gold Star in the window gave people pause to reflect.

Now they are just "holidays" for time off from school, sales @ the malls, etc. When was the last time you saw a store closed on these holidays or July 4th? How many houses still put out the flag?

Speaking of the U.S. Flag, once it was considered a revered or sacred object.

Now is it still? For example, it is not unusual to see ties, jackets, & shirts that are made to look like the U.S. flag or parts of it? Seen the lawn/patio furniture seats w/ the same design? How many still are upset when a flag is burned as a political "statement" or protest? Not as many as before as it is become a common practice & society has become immune to feelings or numbed.

Could it be that this is why so many people complain that children &/or young adults have no respect for anything & that is the direct result of nothing being held sacred anymore??

As far as Jarhead being labeled as "bitter," there are some people that take things very seriously for various & sundry reasons. I've know a few. Doesn't matter if they were combat veterans, a member of burial parties, family relatives. Some things they take very seriously....
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote: Only to the females. :lol:
I think it would be funny :lol: "icky" that's what my little girls used to say...when they didn't like something. Thanks for serving your country...seen combat yet?
Not yet, still have a couple schools to go to before I'm deployable with my light infantry unit. No thanks needed jarhead, the pleasure is all mine.
11B30
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Jarhead wrote: I bet they look good on ya! :lol: And thanks for paying your respects to my brothers at the Memorials you like to visit. i don't enjoy visiting them myself...once a year is enough.
I think it would be funny :lol: "icky" that's what my little girls used to say...when they didn't like something. Thanks for serving your country...seen combat yet?
Not yet, still have a couple schools to go to before I'm deployable with my light infantry unit. No thanks needed jarhead, the pleasure is all mine.
Keep your Chin Up and your Butt down! God Speed...be safe. I was light Infantry as well....a Squad Leader.
Semper Fi
omgb
Levergunner

Post by omgb »

I'm a vet, and I lost friends in the line of duty. I'm also 52 so I'm no child. So, I wasn't crazy about the title ... I was wondering how one could make a joke of service men dieing usless it was about our enemies in which case it may or may not have been funny depending on which enemies and in which context.

So, I read the joke, found it amusing and was not offended. I honesty don't like the sensational title as it hits too close to home.
R. J. Talley
Madison Fellow, NRA Member, CDFG Hunter Ed. , Quail Unlimited
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Not a big fan of the title, but I liked the joke.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As a youth that sat thru interminable "services" I can appreciate the humor; as a vet, I can appreciate Jarhead's and others ire. But, I long ago gave up pushing my values on others, sorta like using a rope to "push-start" a car. Somebody's bumpers are gonna get smashed.

I was leary of the title, opened it expecting to get angry... pleased that the content was light.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

no worries, in three days the crucified are free to rise again. Happy Easter to all.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Ray Newman wrote:As result of listening to similar discussions & reading similar threads over the last few years, here's my take on why this can be offensive or not funny to some. I once heard it described as the slow steady drip theory: a slow steady water drip that will eventually wear away the foundation of a house.

Such jokes are considered as a sign of a weakening of the moral concept that certain subjects or topics, once considered "sacred," no longer are.

For example, in the 1950's Armistice Day (AKA Veterans Day) & Decoration Day (AKA Memorial Day) had meaning. On November 11 @ 11:00 AM, everything stopped -- except traffic --for one minute. On May 30 -- Decoration Day -- there was one minute of silent reflection @ noon. A house w/ a Gold Star in the window gave people pause to reflect.

Now they are just "holidays" for time off from school, sales @ the malls, etc. When was the last time you saw a store closed on these holidays or July 4th? How many houses still put out the flag?

Speaking of the U.S. Flag, once it was considered a revered or sacred object.

Now is it still? For example, it is not unusual to see ties, jackets, & shirts that are made to look like the U.S. flag or parts of it? Seen the lawn/patio furniture seats w/ the same design? How many still are upset when a flag is burned as a political "statement" or protest? Not as many as before as it is become a common practice & society has become immune to feelings or numbed.

Could it be that this is why so many people complain that children &/or young adults have no respect for anything & that is the direct result of nothing being held sacred anymore??

As far as Jarhead being labeled as "bitter," there are some people that take things very seriously for various & sundry reasons. I've know a few. Doesn't matter if they were combat veterans, a member of burial parties, family relatives. Some things they take very seriously....
Ray,

You put things in perspective quite well... :) and you're not pushin' any Christain values on anybody, however, I would not mind if you did. You have the right to express your opinion...and I'm glad you did so. Happy Easter and God Bless...My bumper remains undamaged :wink:
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

If you want to talk about pet peeves, my biggest is people who leave the US Flag hanging out in the dark all night. People don't know any more that it's disrespectful to have the flag flying in the dark without a light on it. But then, I don't go pounding on their doors to tell them either. I live by a creed to always be good to someone you don't know, and be better to those you do. I don't always succeed, but I try my best. I wish compliments were more prolific in todays society than criticizims.

BTW: I found the joke hilarious.

Ed
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Kansas Ed wrote:If you want to talk about pet peeves, my biggest is people who leave the US Flag hanging out in the dark all night. People don't know any more that it's disrespectful to have the flag flying in the dark without a light on it. But then, I don't go pounding on their doors to tell them either. I live by a creed to always be good to someone you don't know, and be better to those you do. I don't always succeed, but I try my best. I wish compliments were more prolific in todays society than criticizims.

BTW: I found the joke hilarious.

Ed
Respecting the American Flag is very important. I agree. I have asked businesses to replace a Flag if it's all tattered....and they always do. I am not a liberal and I don't compliment them..perhaps I should start, but just don't see any benefit in doing so. I don't compliment someone who wants "Gun Control." You have a right to your opinion.. And I will respect that right until you or anyone else, crosses the line with an insult.
Semper Fi
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

I meant no offense to anybody. I see that several are bothered by the title. Honestly, it never crossed my mind that it might bother some; I just needed a title, and that one was relevant to the joke. I'll happily change it if someone has a better suggestion.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Kilroy6644 wrote:I meant no offense to anybody. I see that several are bothered by the title. Honestly, it never crossed my mind that it might bother some; I just needed a title, and that one was relevant to the joke. I'll happily change it if someone has a better suggestion.
Kilroy,

Thanks for walking up to the plate. I think you are being honest and I appreciate your willingness to do this...without the need of an insult. You are entitled to your opinion and if you enjoy the joke, I'll respect that. The Title you used was the issue with some of us for a lot of different reasons. Perhaps, Humor-Church Services. It's your post/subject and it's a free country, so you can make that call.
Happy Easter and God Bless.
Semper Fi
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Done.
KILROY WAS HERE

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

21 years of service, two wars, lots of lost brothers. They and I laugh . Sorry others took offense. :D :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

rjohns94 wrote:21 years of service, two wars, lots of lost brothers. They and I laugh . Sorry others took offense. :D :D
Happy Easter Brother :wink: And thanks for your service to this great Nation.
My Grandfather served in WW1 as an Army Medic, My Dad served 30 years and in three Wars(Navy)...My Brother lost his legs in Nam(Marine), and then I stepped up to the plate...I'm sure my Marine Brothers are laughing as well, especially now.
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Semper Fi
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I just showed it to my dad, a combat vet 68-69 and he thought it was hilarious I also showed it to my pastor this morning and he thought it was hilarious. I guess I need to find a kid named Alex to show it to before I can retell it (make shure everybody involved in the joke takes no offense) then Im good to go :D
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

lever-4-life wrote:I just showed it to my dad, a combat vet 68-69 and he thought it was hilarious I also showed it to my pastor this morning and he thought it was hilarious. I guess I need to find a kid named Alex to show it to before I can retell it (make shure everybody involved in the joke takes no offense) then Im good to go :D

:lol: Happy Easter... :wink: And while you out in the bush hunting...may the wind always be in your favor.
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Jarhead
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:29 pm Post subject:
Happy Easter...
Same to you :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You know, in the middle of nowhere ,New Mexico; my uncle still raises the flag every morning, and takes it down at night.
Whenever I am there, I help him.
After all these years, we still fold it up tight, sharp; and with a snap!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:You know, in the middle of nowhere ,New Mexico; my uncle still raises the flag every morning, and takes it down at night.
Whenever I am there, I help him.
After all these years, we still fold it up tight, sharp; and with a snap!
American Native Indians have always respected the Warrior and I really admire that. Thanks for the fine contribution to YOUR Nation.

I was riding my Harley through the Hopi Reservation in 2005 on my way to the "Wall," and they invited me into thier homes. I told them I was married to a Yakima lady and they saw the Marine Corps emblem on the back of my Hog. One of the highlights of my trip...
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

lever-4-life wrote:
Jarhead
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:29 pm Post subject:
Happy Easter...
Same to you :D
You're good to go!
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

And you were treated well?
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:And you were treated well?
Very much so! Infact, a couple of Indian ladies wanted to take me home :) , but I told them I was married...we had some good laughs.
My wife and daughters love going to the Pow Wows here in the Pacific Northwest...My daughters wear thier Native Pride T-Shirts... :) WE have a Drummer on my wife's side of the family..My wife's Brother's son...He can drum and he can dance! I'll try to dig up some pics to share via PM...
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Thanks for changing the title.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Nothing quite like watching a good drummer, gets you in the mood: even a moron like me can dance!