Project: A knife for Sara

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Project: A knife for Sara

Post by WCF3030 »

To commemorate 5 years of grandfather-daughter and father deer camp, we have formed a plan to make 3 knives, staring tomorrow and have them finished before camp. Plenty of fire-side chats and some research went into the approach, until I was able to sort of Frankenstein them together.

We will make them from old files, not for lack of funds or material but for a certain reason. As many of you know a knife made from a file when done properly makes one heck of a knife. Between some sage advice from some 80 plus year-old tool makers and in one case a 91 year-old metal-worker/blacksmith, we have a process of preparing the file for the work to be done. I'd also like to mention Youtube for some inspiration. I'll cover more of that as we get into the process.

The choice for the file comes from my daughters family history on all four sides. Myself my father and his father and brothers, My mothers father and his father, as well as my father-in-law. We all/are or have made a living, providing for our families and helping our community with hand tools, a file being near the top of the list for the machinist and welders. Sara's (my daughter) knife will be made from a hand me down file from her great grandfather passed onto he grandfather with a total of 65 plus years of use. My knife and my F.I.L. will both come from my great uncle, both with 60 plus years of use all local, with my daughters file was used locally and also used in Manhattan Illinois where my wifes side of the family came from.
The Black Walnut handles are local aged wood that has come from my great uncles kiln. We hope to inlay a coyote canine into each handle that we extracted from a dead yote we had found while scouting for our hunting spot.
We have worked out our designs and hopefully will start the annealing process tomorrow night on half a dozen plus large files and a few smaller ones.
If there is interest I will take plenty of pictures and make follow up post.
Regardless I am excited for the outcome and history that will be in these knives. :mrgreen:
Last edited by WCF3030 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Project: A knife for Sara

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What a great plan you have. I would not change a thing.
Files with that much use and age on them will almost certainly be high quality or they would have been discarded many years ago.
Files do make wonderful knives when ground and tempered properly.
I have made many the way you plan and look forward to further posts and pictures of this project.
Have fun. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Please, please show us a picture of the finished knives..... 8) 8)

(I only have one Anza knife made from a file, and it's one of my nicest, sharpest blades....)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

"IF" there is any interest, U do realize Who U r talking too ? Of course We want to see Pics.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Sounds like you're in the process of creating some serious family heirlooms.
I look forward to more information, and photos as this project progresses.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I N T E R E S T

thank you for posting, it's on my bucket list. I have some files to work with and am eager to learn from your projects.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Would be nice to document with pics and videos thru the stages of making them. I'm sure everyone involved and receiving them would be interested. Not to mention all of us on here.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I would love a ring side seat for this project as I am sure many others would. Please document the process. You might consider making a photo book to go along with the knives.

Chris
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Grizz wrote:I N T E R E S T

thank you for posting, it's on my bucket list. I have some files to work with and am eager to learn from your projects.
yep yep!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Am definitely interested and definitely would like to see pics of the process as well as the finished products.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting project incorporating a lot of family history.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hey guys thanks for the interest!
I will make an organized effort to record this whole project for post here as well as a "scrapbook" for the knife makers.
Look for part one “Design and Annealing” this Friday afternoon, with pics this time. 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Another pair of eyes waiting for some good Foxfire action.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

That is a cool project

Wm
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

My Grandpa made quite a few butcher & kitchen knives from shoeing rasps and skinning knives from files I remember him firing up the coal forge and shaping them on the the anvil when he got the shape finished he would temper the blade then add a wood handle, those carbon steel blades are sharp. Good luck on your project it will make memories. danny