Uberti 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ninety caliber
Levergunner

Uberti 1873

Post by ninety caliber »

Thinking about a '73 big bore. Looking for recommendations from current owners. Do you prefer .44 or .45? Will these rifles handle magnum loads?
Would appreciate any and all input.
N.C.

"We deal in lead friend"
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Uberti 1873

Post by Griff »

If you already load for the 44-40, that's the one to get. If you load for the 45 Colt, get that one. If you want a rifle that'll handle magnum loads, get an 1892. While Uberti sez they make a 44Magnum, can't recall anyone saying they've seen one. IMO, I wouldn't trust a toggle-link with that level pressures.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Griff wrote:If you want a rifle that'll handle magnum loads, get an 1892.
Either that or a Marlin 1894.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have two and love them both...BUT !! They are not recommended for heavy loads.
My .45 and others I know of are not that great in the accuracy department. Plenty good for Cowboy Action Shooting but only fair if wanted for hunting or target shooting.
My Uberti `73` 24" .32-20 is ,on the other hand, just super accurate and would make a great small game gun.
I agree with others in saying if you want it to hunt, Get a Browning or Rossi 92 or even better yet ,IMHO, a Marlin 1894 in .44Mag. or .45 Colt.
Have fun! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Griff wrote:If you already load for the 44-40, that's the one to get. If you load for the 45 Colt, get that one. If you want a rifle that'll handle magnum loads, get an 1892. While Uberti sez they make a 44Magnum, can't recall anyone saying they've seen one. IMO, I wouldn't trust a toggle-link with that level pressures.

Griff I saw one on a hunting show in the Florida swamps, riding 8 feet up in a swamp buggy. They were field testing a 44 mag 1873 and rolling block in 45/70. They commented how little it kicked for a 44. They popped 3-4 hogs with them. I still would like to know how they hold up in the real world.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

You should still have one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Here's a youtube video with the .44mag carbine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTgNxOj9Eg

The toggle-link system is apparently stronger than most people give it credit for, and the 44mag models have been differently heat treated and that's why they're all blued, they can't be case colored. I wouldn't mind having one, I figure it owuld have no issues with a steady diet of .44spl loads with the occasional .44mag load.

I got the 357/38 model though because a) I wanted a short rifle not a carbine b) the cheapness of 38 special cases, it's mostly used for BP:

The rossi is in 44mag though so I really have that caliber covered more than adequately.

And speaking of possible redesigns it looks to me like it should be pretty simple to beef up the locking system, since I finally got my own 1873 I could look over how it worked in person and it really helped me understand how it all fits together. Seems to me that it should be entirely possible to make a locking lug that slides up and down like on the 1892, it would probably be actuated by the same spring that moves the carrier lifter (making the gun heavier to cycle). Having a single locking lug would greatly strenghten the gun. So IMO it could be done and it would be very cool in that certain "Just to show it can be done way".

But I just don't think it's called for, we got the lighter and better 1892 already for a steady diet of 44mags, and even the current '73 is good enough it seems. So not really any reason to bother except intellectual curiosity and a love for rube-goldberg designs.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hi Roland, nice display. 1st time I seen a BL22 with a tang, or is it a 94/22? 3leg/Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Thanks! And yes it's not a BL-22 but a 9422, made in '74.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Uberti also makes a .44 Special-specific '73 - through Cimarron (and maybe Taylors?)--but not just via "Uberti." (Ditto their SAAs, same dynamic). A friend has a Cimarron 1873 SRC .44 Sp in their "original" (antiqued) finish and it's great.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never fully got this......the higher the pressure the more the case grips the chamber wall....no?
I would of thought low power ammo would hammer the link!
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Griff wrote:If you already load for the 44-40, that's the one to get. If you load for the 45 Colt, get that one. If you want a rifle that'll handle magnum loads, get an 1892. While Uberti sez they make a 44Magnum, can't recall anyone saying they've seen one. IMO, I wouldn't trust a toggle-link with that level pressures.
re: 44 mag. 73

I have one; just feeding it standard factory 240s and mostly handloads that are in 44 special range.
havent done a lot with it, but just got a nice tang sight put on it, and expect to do more with it soon.
cable
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Has any one actually measured those weights/thrusts or are they a speculation?

I think a few blows with a 1/2lb hammer to the end of a bolt of any kind would actually do more damage!

Has any one anywhere actually shot a modern 73 to bits or just loose on hot ammo?

I think it is wrong to think a case acts like a piston and imparts an equal force on a bolt or other as is pushing the bullet the opposite way.....the case does in fact expand and an equal force is pressing it against the chamber wall.....where are the maths experts and a fancy equation for that?

So Uberti have it wrong do they? Do we have any proof Uberti have it wrong?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Steve, the '92 is a wonderful, stronger gun for sure. It's just not as purdy as a '73. It make sense to me to have both. At least.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Nath,
To answer your question about bolt thrust; If you can get a copy of P. O. Ackley's book he has a detailed article with pictures of a 30-30 that has been improved. He actually screwed the barrel out a couple of threads and the minimum taper case does not come back ANY! He had to extend the firing pin on this test. An oily case/chamber is a different story.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

M. M. Wright wrote:Nath,
To answer your question about bolt thrust; If you can get a copy of P. O. Ackley's book he has a detailed article with pictures of a 30-30 that has been improved. He actually screwed the barrel out a couple of threads and the minimum taper case does not come back ANY! He had to extend the firing pin on this test. An oily case/chamber is a different story.
Yes, and British proofing of a firearm (may still be) was in two stages. First the barrel was proved and then the action via a lubricated proof load cartridge!

I firmly believe reduced loads actually bear as hard if not more on the action!

Anyway...thats just me...I would shoot one in any chambering the manufacturer has chambered it in.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!