"Texas Ranger Daily Scout Report" + 1873 lever & 07 auto.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

"Texas Ranger Daily Scout Report" + 1873 lever & 07 auto.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is not much but fun to research. As I have said before, any authentic Texas Ranger item is hard to find and I welcome them all. This is an unfinished Ranger Daily Scout Report by Texas Ranger G.W. Chapman. The reports are hard to find because they were sent to the Adj. Gen. each bay during the "Bandit Wars" period by each ranger. Chapman was in Capt. W.M. Ryan's Co. C stationed on the border just south of Laredo, Texas in the 1920s. He was in the Texas Rangers from 1917. He moved in and out of the rangers for many years to come. His 1873 Winchester Carbine in 38-40 made in 1910 and his 351 cal. 1907 Winchester were auctioned off not long ago and written up in the "Texas Ranger Dispatch Magazine" recently. This magazine is online from the "Texas Ranger Museum" in Waco. The articles told me a lot about G.W. Chapman. I wish I had been able to bid on the guns but not so lucky. Finding the Ranger Daily Scout Report will have to do for me. I thought y'all might like to see them. RR7

Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "Texas Ranger Daily Scout Report" + 1973 lever & 07 auto

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting find RR7, I was surpised that there was a clause against duelling.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Texas Ranger Daily Scout Report" + 1973 lever & 07 auto

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah, probably to keep gunfighters out of the ranks.

I just looked up ath 1907 model on Wikipedia. the French ordered thousands of those in WWII and towards the end of they war, they were build as fully automatic.

Then, Winchester was the designer of the M1 Carbine, which I didnt know.

I love learning stuff on here.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Texas Ranger Daily Scout Report" + 1873 lever & 07 auto

Post by Charles »

I find it interesting that Co. A was stationed in Alice which was/is the county seat of Jim Well county, yet he enlisted in LaSalle county two counties NW from Alice. I guess they enlisted them all over the place and not just at Co. HQ.

The Daily Report was written in San Ygnacio which is indeed down on the river Zapata County. The town is still there, and probably hasn't changed all that much. The Rangers would have high times there now as it is a hotbed of drug smugglers and such. It was where the 1952 movie "Viva Zapata" was filmed with Marlin Brando and Anthony Quinn. That movie had its "World Premier" at the Majestic Theater in Brownsville Texas with your truly in attendance that day.

In fact nothing much has changed since 1920 except more people. The brush and border is still working alive with smugglers, killers, thieves and Peace Officers. Ranger Chapman would still find plenty to keep him busy down on the river.