38-55 new barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

38-55 new barrel

Post by Les Staley »

My kid bro inherited our great uncle's Winchester 1894 round bbl rifle made in 1898. Gramps said the bbl was shot out when he handed it to Tom about 30 years ago..but he killed a few deer with it since..finally he got tired of so-so groups, keyholes on target...ordered a new 26" octagonal bbl from Numrich...we put the new bbl on it two nights ago..twisted right up to proper headspace w/extracter notch right on the money...also ordered the octagonal nose cap..forearm took a little scrapeing to fit ..shot a walnut size group at 45 yds..what a soft shooting rifle. No recoil..cracks more like a muzzleloader...gotta look for one fer myself..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 38-55 new barrel

Post by BenT »

The Numrich barrels shoot great.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I am currently trying to get My Rifle packaged to UPS satisfaction for shipment to Jes Reboring in Oregon. It is now 30-30 and I want it bored to 38-55. Already talked to JES and have the money order for $225. UPS would only insure for $100 the way I had it wrapped. Grrrr. I could drive it there in a day and have a nice little trip.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pwl44m wrote:I am currently trying to get My Rifle packaged to UPS satisfaction for shipment to Jes Reboring in Oregon. It is now 30-30 and I want it bored to 38-55. Already talked to JES and have the money order for $225. UPS would only insure for $100 the way I had it wrapped. Grrrr. I could drive it there in a day and have a nice little trip.
Perry
Remove (and keep at home) the buttstock and there will be fewer issues, with packaging and shipping damage, from Usually Pieces Scattered.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Does a 30-30 action need mods to feed 38-55? Just thinking....

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Jes re-bores the existing barrel, right? Is this a oct. Rifle barrel-only proposition, or does a .30-30SRC have enough steel to be re-bored to .38-55? I'd love a carbine in .38-55!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mine has a massive after market Octagon 20 inch barrel in 30-30. I'm sure there is enough for 38-55.
Taking the stock off would solve the current issue (for the box that I have needs to be 3 inches longer for 2 inch clearance all around).
I want Mine to shoot like the OPs - crack Walnuts at 50 yards.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The standard carbine a 1974, is what my son sent to Jes, it came back with a note that says "she shoots great". There is not a thing that has to be changed, just the rebore.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

aren't there about a dozen different bore sizes for 38-55?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

pwl44m wrote:I am currently trying to get My Rifle packaged to UPS satisfaction for shipment to Jes Reboring in Oregon. It is now 30-30 and I want it bored to 38-55. Already talked to JES and have the money order for $225. UPS would only insure for $100 the way I had it wrapped. Grrrr. I could drive it there in a day and have a nice little trip.
Perry

USPS - No hassle, safe delivery for me (in regards to over 50 long guns mailed during the past 15 years)

Insure it for whatever ($$), no legal requirement to disclose parcel content(s), beyond answering the PO clerk's five specific dangerous catagory questions (are the contents explosive, poisonous, flammable, fragile,etc, etc).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

So the barrel was prechambered and pre threaded perfectly already? Did you torque it on with an action wrench or just hand tighten it?

Do Winchesters have alignment marks like Remingtons do? Or, since it was a Octogon, is it just a matter of tightening it till its flat?
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I have one of those 38-55 octagon barrels but have yet to fit it to an action,the twist rate is 1 in 14 and the groove diameter is .375
I have noticed that Numrich also have the same barrel in 30-30,
Regards

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/882400.htm#1369690
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

My problem with USPS is that they do ZERO education of their employees about shipping firearms or ammo. You have to shop around for somebody who won't give you an automatic "We don't ship guns" and then you have to take the time to teach them the laws. UPS usually has somebody who is in the know, IF you go to their "Customer Service Center." "UPS Stores" are hopeless in my area. Expensively hopeless. "OMR-D"???? Huh?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Fatjackdurham: bbl was fully chambered, threaded, extractor notch cut. It is very close in size to the width of the extractor so once the bolt closes with the extractor lined up centered in the notch, you're GTG. All dovetails, groove for mag tube retaining pin, hole for mag tube front plug in bbl..even blued. I have bbl vice, with oak inserts, drilled a blank to fit the old round bbl..borrowed a homemade receiver wrench..whole job about four hours..

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My Numrich barreled 1978 mdl 94... .30-30:
Barrel is .850 across the flats from breech to muzzle... absorbs a LOT of recoil... and with groups in the ¾ to 1 inch range @ 100 yards... and having won several long range matches from 200 to 400 yards, I can't brag enough about 'em. Although my chamber is rough, and therefore my reloading life is shortened, I ain't complainin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!