My Uncle got interviewed (WWII veteran)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

My Uncle got interviewed (WWII veteran)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi fellas -

I know there are a lot of history buffs here. I've mentioned before, my Uncle Paul is a WWII veteran, having served in the 29th Infantry Division, 116th Infantry Regiment, Company F (Hobie is familiar with this unit :D ). He landed in Normandy on D-Day and fought through the fall of Germany. While on vacation the week before last, my nephew (my brother's son; the brother named after my uncle) was asking about his Great Uncle and his experiences in the War. I told him a lot of stories that my uncle had shared with me.

After vacation, my nephew did what everyone his generation does - he went to the internet to find out more information. Lo and behold, my uncle had just been interviewed the week before on his experiences in WWII!

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBwQWvrA7I

I haven't even had a chance to listen to the how thing yet!

By the way, the You Tube video is marked "Dick Winters", but my uncle - the man being interviewed, is Paul Winters. No relationship to the man who served in the 101 Airborne, Easy Company (made famous by the "Band of Brothers" book and HBO mini-series). Oh well.

Enjoy!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Uncle got interviewed (WWII veteran)

Post by jeepnik »

OK YK, son, brother and uncle. You're making the rest of us look bad. Congrats to them all.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool. Not many of them left these days - cherish the time you can spend with them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, your uncle is a wonderful man and that interview is very important for future generations to see.
I often wonder where I'd be today without guys like your uncle, please thank him from me ( a very grateful limey ) for his service... :D
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks! I put this up on the 116th Foundation FB page.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That was a great interview..
I could listen to him all day...
tell him thank you for his service...

"we stand up when we hear dixie"..... loved that line!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you for posting this. I've studied and read about WWII since I was a kid. Talked to and thanked all of these guys that I could. Words can't express the respect and gratitude I feel for these people. It's so important that these experiences get recorded, not only for the stories themselves, but more importantly so we can see the caliber and character of the men who fought for us.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jeepnik wrote:OK YK, son, brother and uncle. You're making the rest of us look bad. Congrats to them all.
I have to brag about others - I don't anything anymore but work, work, work. :(
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:Jay, your uncle is a wonderful man and that interview is very important for future generations to see.
I often wonder where I'd be today without guys like your uncle, please thank him from me ( a very grateful limey ) for his service... :D
Will do John! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Thanks! I put this up on the 116th Foundation FB page.
I should probably get back to FB. Haven't been there in almost 2 years (ever since I got into this role). Just no time... :(
Garneteye
Levergunner

Post by Garneteye »

Just finished watching the interview. What a outstanding gentleman you have for an uncle. As a son of a Pearl Harbor survivor I understand somewhat of the type of individuals comprising the "greatest generation". However my dad was one of those who rarely talked about his experiences. Please say " thank you" to him for me.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Outstanding - and still sharp as a tack! Thanks for the post. Bless them all who served in all these wars - and during "peacetime" as well.
+1 I hope more can get heir experiences recorded before it's too late. So many, perhaps understandably, have been reticent to speak about their experiences - but time indeed is running short.

I wish I could remember the name--if this rings true to someone, chime in--but ten years ago I spoke (listened) at length in a 1 on 1 with a remarkable gent at a conference in Columbus OH, who was one of those who didn't mind talking at all. I wish I'd had a recorder and hope he's chronicled his experiences "formally." He said he was/is one of only a handful of Allied forces who ever saw the D-Day armada from shore just before and during the first hours of the landing. He was in a small group of "Seals" (don't recall exact name) who came ashore in inflatables just before light on the extreme south end of Omaha to do final recon of pillboxes, gun emplacements, etc, , and signal (flash) the battleships etc., and IIRC armed with Thpmpsons and .45s they did as "quietly" as possible encounter/engage and kill some Germans they couldn't avoid (and some may have been specifically intended "take outs"). I don't recall if they returned to ship when their primary assignment was done or stayed ashore, but I believe he told me they also saw the first volleys coming in--a slightly daunting situation to be in, basically calling fire in on yourselves!! Wow - unique point of perspective in history.
If anyone knows this gent. He was a fixture in community goings-on in Columbus when I met him (this was a transportation conference). He was also sharp as a tack, but this was ten (or more) years ago so...?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jay, your father was one who deserves honor as well.

You have a great family that anybody would be proud of.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JohndeFresno wrote:Jay, your father was one who deserves honor as well.

You have a great family that anybody would be proud of.
Thanks John!