1966 Winchester 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

1966 Winchester 94

Post by big bear »

Was this a good year for 94's? Looking at a used one. thanks!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 1966 Winchester 94

Post by gamekeeper »

A lot of folks will say no just because Winchester lowered the bar in 64 but the one I had was good to go!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'd say generally no. Any of these especially early "Post 64" (actually more accuraytely post 63) era are hit and miss, mostly miss. But as the previous poster shows, you can luck onto a good one. Must be a special (birth?) Year for you - whatever, pursue the search for what you want.
The chief culprit making these not nearly as collectible as the Pre 64s and later Post 64s (late 70s on up) is a receiver plating/scintered metal that tended to pit more than usual (all 94s, especially in humid climes, if not wiped off occasionally can pit a little. Contributing is/was that a lot of folk's handle/carry their 94s by the receiver). Many of these early "Posts" had a receiver that almost black paint-like finish that flaked without a lot of provocation and was iffy looking even new. Some have found sows' ears and made silk purses out of them by refinishing. The nature of the material used for receivers in this period precludes standard re-bluing. Some have indicated case hardening works ok, or one of the "kote" finishes, various treatments including Robar, etc etc. Stocks on many examples reflected cost cutting as well, going from nice walnut on the "Pre's" to birch or some other cheaper mystery wood. Also "fixable" either relatively low cost (DIY refinish to more acceptable look) or higher cost walnut replacement. Someone else casn chime in on the various little mechanical bits which were changed in this period as well, but most have found the guns reliable enough as shooters.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thanks, I'll keep my money!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They still are good guns and they make excellent shooters......they are just not collectable. Considering the price you can get into one for, you will still get your money out of it.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I had a 1964 that kept 3 rounds in a inch at 50 yards always. It wasn't,the prettiest but it sure kilt deer!