Uberti Yellowboy Carbine.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Uberti Yellowboy Carbine.

Post by gamekeeper »

I took my Yellowboy .22 WMR out for a rare walk in the woods today, there was nothing about so I did a bit of plinking. The sights, as I've said before are abysmal, especially in dark shade, anyway by just guessing where the front sight was I managed to hit a tin can and a couple of .410 shells. When I got out into the sunshine I could see the sights OK but they still leave a lot to be desired. I took a couple of shots at the end of a log and both shots were touching, OK the range was only about thirty yards or so but this rifle has been always accurate even at longer range, if only it had better sights I would use it more often.

Anyway, what I would like to know from other Uberti Yellowboy or Henry owners is, how do get the brass to tarnish evenly so it takes on a more antique look?

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Uberti Yellowboy Carbine.

Post by Blaine »

The Sergeant Major sez a bit of brasso and some elbow grease is in order, what?

(some White Out on the blade will be utile)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'll try the White Out on the blade but I do want to get away from the shiny polished look old boy. :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

game keeper wrote:I'll try the White Out on the blade but I do want to get away from the shiny polished look old boy. :wink:
That's a good Lad...be off wi' ya now.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Use some black powder fouling on a damp rag, quickest thing I know to tarnish brass.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GK, although there's a multitude of methods out there for giving brass a patina via soaking the brass in tea, etc - IIRC, all involve removing any overfinish (lacquer, etc) from the brass.

http://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/18365 ... s-quickly/

The absolute best way is to simply wait - the brass will tarnish naturally over time (usually a few years, as in the case of my frontstuffers).
The pic looks like your rifle's well on it's way to a natural tarnished/brownish finish - which I prefer to the black finish that results from some of the methods. (like maybe using BP fouling on a patch ? IDK, I never tried that.)

On one BP rifle that had a multitude of bright brass, I applied a light coat of cold blue to the brass, letting it set foe a little while before wiping the brass dry w/rag (more will turn the brass black) - which resulted in an immediate, CCH-type tarnished finish that actually was quite attractive (IMHO - YMMV).

I'm sorry that I didn't keep any pics of the cold blue result, but I deleted them after I sold the rifle.

Maybe you could try it on a non-visible brass area of the receiver of your rifle, or on some other shiney brass piece, like an empty cartridge case.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Gee, those Pirates don't like shiny brass either... :o

I should have remembered what black powder did to my muzzle loaders.. :roll:

I think I'll let time age it. :wink:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Most brass will have some type of lacquer or other protective finish, it it is gone, it will tarnish. A soak in the right solvent may work, or removing it with an abrasive, either way the coating needs to come off. Once that is done, you can speed the tarnishing with vinegar (get it on the bluing and it will take the bluing off as well, be careful) or buy wiping cold blue on lightly and wiping it right off. Go kind of dry and easy if you use cold blue as if it goes on heavy it will turn it black. Or just take it down to bare brass and let it take a patina naturally.

ETA: If you use any kind of abrasive, make sure it is done in a way that does not leave even sanding scratches all the same direction in the surface or it will look sanded.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You will have to forgive all us old retired NCOs; our military training indoctrinates us to believe that ALL BRASS MUST BE HIGHLY POLISHED!

7.62 is right, brass has a protective coating, to tarnish it properly it must be removed. Before you can shine brass properly we always took and covered it with toothpaste and then rubbed it vigorously with a cotton cloth like a diaper. Once you get the coating off, only then can you polish it properly.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks great and seems to shoot too....how bout a tang sight?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

GK, speaking of Yellowboys, I was in the Lanes Armoury in Brighton the other day and spotted this on the wall.
I thought it was a Uberti but it was an original 1866 in 44RF that had been totally refinished
Nice deep blue, shiny brass and varnished wood!The owner proudly told me that it was now "museum quality". I told him he
should be locked up for criminal damage.
If you want to go over and acquire this piece of vandalized history the price is £8950.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

perry owens wrote:GK, speaking of Yellowboys, I was in the Lanes Armoury in Brighton the other day and spotted this on the wall.
I thought it was a Uberti but it was an original 1866 in 44RF that had been totally refinished
Nice deep blue, shiny brass and varnished wood!The owner proudly told me that it was now "museum quality". I told him he
should be locked up for criminal damage.
If you want to go over and acquire this piece of vandalized history the price is £8950.
Perry Owens
I have a hard job explaining to folks that doing anything like that to an antique is insane. :shock:
My Uberti has a horrible varnish finish on the wood and I'm tempted to strip it and give it an oil finish, I like my new guns to look old and my old guns to stay old. :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have used white out on a few sights. Works good. Every time I see your Yellowboy I kick myself for not buying them in the 70"s when Navy Arm's imported them. Dad's friend had shop, he had a few in stock at all times. IIRC they were $99 for .38 Special. I was young and didn't think a .38 was good for anything. So bought a .30 M1 Carbine. What 22 Mag ammo you using?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3LT, I've tried CCI 40g JHP, Federal 36g SPEER TNT HP and Federal 50g JHP.
The Federal 50g are the most accurate in this rifle, I'm pleased with the way they shoot.
I know it wouldn't work but I'd love a loading gate..just for looks.. :)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

game keeper wrote:3LT, I've tried CCI 40g JHP, Federal 36g SPEER TNT HP and Federal 50g JHP.
The Federal 50g are the most accurate in this rifle, I'm pleased with the way they shoot.
I know it wouldn't work but I'd love a loading gate..just for looks.. :)
If you can try some of the Hornady 30gr. Vmax's. Understand about the loading gate. We can can buy stickers of "bullet holes" to put on cars, wondering if you could get one made of a loading gate! :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I keep an eye open for the Hornady 30g but over here choice can be a bit limited.. :(

Don't know about the sticker though... :lol: