A What Is It?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

A What Is It?

Post by ColColt »

Anyone have any ideas as to what these things are? I see them every year around this time affixed to trees, under the deck where I shot this one late this afternoon. They're about 1 1/2" long. It doesn't look like some sort of bee despite the tail. Look at them eyes. That's no bee's eyes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9600480669/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A What Is It?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cicada
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

They must dig in the ground. Looks like dirt all over him and I've found nickel to dime size holes in the back yard.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

What 3leggedturtle said. They make a whole lot of noise if you get enough of 'em together.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

ColColt wrote:They must dig in the ground. Looks like dirt all over him and I've found nickel to dime size holes in the back yard.
They live underground and emerge only to breed lay eggs and die.
Last edited by 765x53 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

ColColt wrote:They must dig in the ground. Looks like dirt all over him and I've found nickel to dime size holes in the back yard.
They spend 7 or 17 years underground then emerge to mate and die. They have no mouth or any other way to eat.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are a few every year, and a bigger bunch off and on, but about every 17 years there is a HUGE amount of them (along with huge damage to young trees); if you've not been where there is a huge eruption like that, it's amazing.

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-47.pdf
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

3leggedturtle wrote:Cicada
+1 what a pain in the a** these guys are during hunting seasons....
incredibly loud down here when its very dry...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Well we know your not from down south. Or you lived a very sheltered life. :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

What a nerd, I thought for sure it was a Transformers Insecticon. :lol:
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Cicadas are a hoot. I had a customer that had retired and moved south. I did a bunch of work on his car one time (clutch,timing belt,brakes, struts,tune) . I did the work myself and car was flawless when I got done. He picked the car up and brought it right back complaining of a strange noise. I couldn't go for a road test right then so he said keep it until the next day and check it out. Next day drove the car several time still no noise.He picks it up brings it right back, getting kind of upset about it. This time I could go for a road test with him. First bunch of oak trees we pass he says "thats it". I take over driving pull under some oaks and turn the car off. He is amazed the noise is still there. I explain to him what it is and he gets this look on his face you would not believe. Then he asks "you're not going to tell anyone about this are you?" .
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

They spend 7 or 17 years underground then emerge to mate and die. They have no mouth or any other way to eat.
That's about a terrible lifestyle! I wondered what all those holes in the backyard were from. I was afraid they may be yellow jackets.
Well we know your not from down south. Or you lived a very sheltered life.
I'm in the great state of TN. I remember hearing those things when I was a kid and my Dad said they were Katydids. I think both of them make a lot of racket. It sounds a lot like what I hear all the time since I have tinnitus. It's like listening to them year round everyday and night.
Then he asks "you're not going to tell anyone about this are you?" .
wolfdog-That story reminds me of when I got my first dog. He had rolled over on his back to get a belly rub and I saw places on his tummy area that I couldn't quite make out what was wrong. I couldn't see that close up and they felt like they could be ticks so, I took him to the vet and told her the problem I was concerned about and showed her what I had found. She looked at me and said, "Honey, that's his teats!" I felt the blood leave my face and travel down to my stomach., I told her, "This doesn't have to go any further, ok?" She agreed and said there would be no charge for the visit. I didn't know boy dogs had teats.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

As a kid growing up in Japan I'll never forget the sound of Cicadas or as they are called there "semi" (seh-mee), a very peaceful relaxing sound of country life there. Been over 47 years but still a fond memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE-_kNWJXNw
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ColColt wrote:<snip>
I'm in the great state of TN. I remember hearing those things when I was a kid and my Dad said they were Katydids. I think both of them make a lot of racket. It sounds a lot like what I hear all the time since I have tinnitus. It's like listening to them year round everyday and night.

<snip>
That is the example I give people who don't have tinnitus when I tell them I do and it causes me a lot of trouble. Go stand under a tree full of singing cicadas and then imagine what it's like hearing that 24-7-365.
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:As a kid growing up in Japan I'll never forget the sound of Cicadas or as they are called there "semi" (seh-mee), a very peaceful relaxing sound of country life there. Been over 47 years but still a fond memory.

Perhaps the Japanese Cicadas sing a different tune. Those in Arizona and Illienoise are anything but peaceful. Or ~~ maybe they are clashing with my tinnitus.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

That is the example I give people who don't have tinnitus when I tell them I do and it causes me a lot of trouble. Go stand under a tree full of singing cicadas and then imagine what it's like hearing that 24-7-365.
I feel your pain. I've been living with it since summer of 1974. I understand there's hearing aids today than they can cancel out that sound but has anyone priced hearing aids lately? Think $5K plus each. Medicare won't cover a cent of it either nor will my supplement.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

One thing for sure, that's some nice photography .----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"... I remember hearing those things when I was a kid and my Dad said they were Katydids. "

That's just another name for them. Where I was raised, they called them locusts, which isnt correct, but everyone used the term.

Hideous sound to me. It always clashed with my tinnitus also, and seemed to magnify it to a profoundly annoying degree.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

Sixgun wrote:One thing for sure, that's some nice photography .----6
Just good equipment...Nikon D200 with 60 f2.5 micro lens shot at f14 and flash.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Cicada, AKA 17 Year Locust.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The sound of summer! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

J Miller wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:As a kid growing up in Japan I'll never forget the sound of Cicadas or as they are called there "semi" (seh-mee), a very peaceful relaxing sound of country life there. Been over 47 years but still a fond memory.

Perhaps the Japanese Cicadas sing a different tune. Those in Arizona and Illienoise are anything but peaceful. Or ~~ maybe they are clashing with my tinnitus.

Joe
Here's another example of Japanese Cicadas singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymR5xfUP3Kw
All I have are pleasant childhood memories of Japanese country life associated with the sounds of singing Cicadas that and the memories of fireflies filling the summer night sky. My hearing is not the as it used to be, maybe I'd think different now if I heard them today. Memories are many times better than realities. :D
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Amazing short video on the life cycle of the cicada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDdTBgqYt0
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

ColColt wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to what these things are? I see them every year around this time affixed to trees, under the deck where I shot this one late this afternoon. They're about 1 1/2" long. It doesn't look like some sort of bee despite the tail. Look at them eyes. That's no bee's eyes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43545724@N03/9600480669/

That looks like my ex-mother-in-law.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)