Got These Cast Bullets Figured Out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Got These Cast Bullets Figured Out

Post by Rifleman »

Well, I have precise loads for all my center-fire firearms but 2. My 686 has a bore constriction, which faster moving bullets, (357mag,) will lead really bad. Then my Eddystone M1917 smokes like the dickens. The bore is pitted badly so gas escapes around the bullet; paper patching could solve that problem.

But my Win94ae is doing wonderfully with two different loads.
Win94ae 30-30, Cast Bullets, 350 Yards [YouTube 51sec Video]

The wind drift is tricky, so this winter when there is usually a lot more wind, it could get difficult.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got These Cast Bullets Figured Out

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Friend has 586 made in '84. The barrel is .355 diameter. I had a badly sporterized/cut up '06 Eddystone with the 2 groove barrel. Shot any cast load great. Sold it to friend.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If that Eddystone 1917 smokes, it is not because of the bore condition. Go back to school on that one.

Original 5 groove Eddystone, Remington and Winchester 1917 barrels tend to run large at .309 or a smidge larger in the grooves. WWII rebuilt 1917s were barreled with 2 groove barrels by Johnson Automatics and ran a spot on .308.

I would suggest a cast bullet of at least .311 in 1917s rifle and perhaps more if the throat is quite worn.

A badly pitted bore may lead or if damaged enough, cause the bullets to keyhole or yaw. Often it is surprising just how good a pitted bore will do with cast bullets.

Smoke is a subject thing with lubes being the primary difference in the amount of smoke.

The only important thing is not the amount of smoke, but how close the bullets land next to each other on the target.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Charles wrote:If that Eddystone 1917 smokes, it is not because of the bore condition. Go back to school on that one.
Why is this site so prone to the arrogant insulting types?
Charles wrote:Original 5 groove Eddystone, Remington and Winchester 1917 barrels tend to run large at .309 or a smidge larger in the grooves. WWII rebuilt 1917s were barreled with 2 groove barrels by Johnson Automatics and ran a spot on .308.
My original 5 grove barrel slugs at the max of .308.
Charles wrote:I would suggest a cast bullet of at least .311 in 1917s rifle and perhaps more if the throat is quite worn.
I've tried from .309 to .312, with the same results.
Charles wrote:A badly pitted bore may lead or if damaged enough, cause the bullets to keyhole or yaw. Often it is surprising just how good a pitted bore will do with cast bullets.

Smoke is a subject thing with lubes being the primary difference in the amount of smoke.
So then... Why does my Howa 30-06 smoke very little, yet the Eddystone with the same size bore smoke like crazy?
I know the answer! Because you have no idea how pitted my bore is.
...and that is the best part.

...and no, it doesn't keyhole or lead the slightest bit.
Charles wrote:The only important thing is not the amount of smoke, but how close the bullets land next to each other on the target.
If you reread my post, "I have precise loads for all my center-fire firearms but 2." So yes, since "the bullets [don't] land next to each other" it is not "precise."
...and I will be the one that decides how "important" it is as to how much smoke my firearms produce; your input is irrelevant.

You get an A+ for hubris, unfortunately you've failed in every other aspect.
Last edited by Rifleman on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

3leggedturtle wrote:Friend has 586 made in '84. The barrel is .355 diameter. I had a badly sporterized/cut up '06 Eddystone with the 2 groove barrel. Shot any cast load great. Sold it to friend.
My 686 barrel's constriction slugged at .351. It shoots great with jacketed bullets and 38special cast.

I'm fine shooting both with what will work in them.
One Shot Load Development: YouTube 1:42
Last edited by Rifleman on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Can you tell where the constriction is ? Just ahead of the forcing cone ehre the barrel screws into the frame maybe? It sounds like a good candidate for fire lapping.

The '06 might be made to shoot better by fire lapping as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Rusty wrote:Can you tell where the constriction is ? Just ahead of the forcing cone ehre the barrel screws into the frame maybe? It sounds like a good candidate for fire lapping.

The '06 might be made to shoot better by fire lapping as well.

Yes the 686 constriction is right where the frame is. I've considered fire and hand lapping the bore, but I am okay with shooting the 38 cast bullets. Then when I want to hunt with it, I'll just use my jacketed bullet hunting load. I would hate to screw-up this kind of 100 yard precision.

And the 1917's bore is much better than it used to be.

In essence, I fire lapped that bore with an extended bore break-in. I shot it once then cleaned it thoroughly over and over again, over a long period of time.
Now that I have it shooting as well as it does;
Impossible 30-06 Group: YouTube 26sec
I would also hate to screw things up... and I would have to lap that bore to well over .308.