Anybody tried a .458 SOCOM ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody tried a .458 SOCOM ??

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'd be more interested in a Marlin 1894 in 50AE. There's a couple of smiths out there that do the conversions.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anybody tried a .458 SOCOM ??

Post by MrMurphy »

I've shot the SOCOM (half a mag) and the .50 Beo (about three mags).

I'd rather shoot the Beowulf than a 12 gauge with magnums, it recoils less. Having shot up to .416 Rigby i'm not exactly a recoil wimp but it's hard-hitting, and fast on target.

If I ever were to go after serious annoyed large toothy animals, I'd consider one. My entire adult life has been spent around the M16 platform in some form and as much as I like leverguns, I'm far, far faster on target (irons or optic) with an M4 than I am with a lever action .45-70.

The 6.5 is an excellent medium to long range round from what I've seen it do. Not a ballistician but I know of at least five elk that have gone down to it at over 400m. I've considered a 6.5 upper if I ever get into hunting with an AR seriously (my current hunting prospects aren't the best and I have a 7mm Mauser to cover that).