1894 Win 30WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LGS
Levergunner

1894 Win 30WCF

Post by LGS »

A few years ago I purchased a 1894 30 WCF from my mother-in-law after my wife's father died. He was a mechanic and got the rifle as payment for a car he fixed back in the early 60's. It appears to be a special order rifle, with a 26" half round half octagon barrel and flip up express rear sight with 3 sight blades. Most of the original finish is gone but has a nice patina but the barrel still has a nice blue color although it does have some lite pitting . The only manufacturing information I can find about the serial number 92XXX, puts year of manufacture around 1897. I was surprised at how tight the action still is. The bore is a little rough but strong. I have shot 170 grain jacketed soft points and it shoots very well. The bore is rough enough that my cast bullets wont group that well. I have been able to fire group. around 4 inches with jacketed bullets at 100 yards. I am not planning on selling the rifle but would like to know an approximate value. Thanks.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by LGS on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Re: 1894 Win 30WCF

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

For a value I would look at what they are selling for on Gunbroker.com
Someones opinion is great but in the real world it is what someone will spend for it.
Condition is everything to value. Can't see any detail in your pictures.
I would get a Cody letter on that serial number to find out what options it was build with and perhaps some history on it.

It looks like standard grade wood, no engravings and it is a rifle not a carbine.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Get some hard cast bullets with gas checks and size them at .311. The barrel variation is rare. Kinda hard to tell with your pics but around 18+.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

What is a 40 wcf ?, don't reckon I've heard of that one before. Nice old rifle though, shoot and enjoy. As far as value I haven't a clue.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
LGS
Levergunner

Post by LGS »

OOPS Fixed it. Now it says 30WCF. For cast bullets I been casting using Lynotype with a hardness of 20-22. I will have to try and cast a bigger bullet. My RCBS mold throws them at .310.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx, I guess I aint totally ignorant ! When I read 40 wcf I immediately looked at the loading gate thinking I would see a 92 then things went completely awry.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pics don't show the barrel detail.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...