Long distance calls not going out today?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Long distance calls not going out today?

Post by Steelbanger »

I've been trying to call Midsouth Shooters since 9 this morning and I keep getting a recording that all circuits are busy and to try again later. These calls are from my home in PA and going to TN. My phone provider is Verizon. I hope this isn't the beginning of some sinister plot.

And this from Midsouth's site.
phones_down.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Long distance calls not going out today?

Post by mark08 »

I would suspect your local phone office's toll circuits. report it if you haven't already.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Or some idiot with a backhoe cut buried landlines. Happens all the time.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

stew71 wrote:Or some idiot with a backhoe cut buried landlines. Happens all the time.
How can that happen ? Ur spose to "Call before You dig" 1-800-USA :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

stew71 wrote:Or some idiot with a backhoe cut buried landlines. Happens all the time.
Hey, I thought "dig alert" was supposed to prevent such happenings. Of course that only works if they actually know where the lines are buried, and someone calls ahead of time to ask.

Once saw what happens when you stick a backhoe into a 14" natural gas line. It was fine, right up to the time something lit it off. The aerial detonation flattened one building, and blew out windows for blocks. The darned backhoe was spreading the flame, so we hooked onto it with a winch cable and pulled it out. After that it was just a nice straight flame shooting up quite a distance, and loud as all get out. Took about three hours to get the gas shut off and line to depressure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I know that guy, he's "Backhoe Bob", and he seems to travel all across the country.

My company has nationwide locations, and I work in the voice/network side, so we've seen outages on an irregular basis. A local CO (central office) may have a bad line card that cuts voice channels and compromises my facilities long distance calls. A train wreck on the east coast happens to rip out several fiber optic cables and long distance cell service in a region disappears. I've got a facility in Louisville that works perfectly except they can not call one local number. It's something to do with the local telco, but we never could get a straight answer from them. So we did programming magic in the background and re-routed that call through our network.

It's funny how much we depend on the nationwide network and how fragile it seems sometimes.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Seen my neighbor cut a pretty big bundle of underground phone wires he tried to make a joke out of it by picking up one end and pretending to talk into it and held the other end to his ear only he touched his ear and it shocked the stuff out of him :)

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J35nut wrote:Seen my neighbor cut a pretty big bundle of underground phone wires he tried to make a joke out of it by picking up one end and pretending to talk into it and held the other end to his ear only he touched his ear and it shocked the stuff out of him :)

---J
Karma baby, karma!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad