Had a scare

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Had a scare

Post by madman4570 »

Most important family member-----

Just got back from taking big Chaz to our Vet Clinic. They got him right in within 2 hrs of my phone call. That place is what I call beyond fine.
Chaz starting favoring left leg yesterday, and I noticed when he slept last night he was shuttering that cute big head of his (pain??) But he is tough, he still would when awake just shrug it off.
They spent an hour with him! Did extensive testing on him. I asked for X-rays(they took two so they could get full angled views and then I went over them with Doc in detail.----and those xrays(they had them reimaged on a High-Res Samsung Computer tablet screen.
Turned lights off and I could see very clearly exactly everything including all angles of joints/bones etc.
She said-------boy he has some big bones!-----so when people say(he weighs 125lbs? too much----I can say(Hey, he has big bones)
Everything came out perfect---bones/joints/etc. She thinks he stained a ligament.(cause he pulls like a JD model A tractor) Had them clip nails/dewclaws and they even massaged his little(well big) foot (and----boy was he good)
No playing fetch/catch for a tad!
bottom line----no stress fracture!----that is what I feared.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Had a scare

Post by 2ndovc »

Good news!

I hate hurtin' dog stories that don't end well.

My last lab Tasha was about 85 lbs when she was young and strong. When I was building my last house she would
pull an 8' 2x4 off the stack and run around the yard with it, knee capping a few people along the way.

She would pull a muscle/ strain a tendon every now and then. Usually in the spring when playing in the creek and chasing
critters around the fields. The first time she came limping back to the house I about freaked ( she was my first dog) but my Ex had been around dogs all her life and knew exactly what it was and what to do. Out on a leash for a few days ( boy she hated that) and no playing for a few more days after that. Always did the trick. Baby aspirin helps too ( vet told us that one).

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad he is ok
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks friends! :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am glad it is not a stress fracture. I had those in every bone in my left foot in the Army. My Sergeants were convinced I was just trying to get out of duty. I can tell you stress fractures hurt. A LOT!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Glad he's ok!

I had a dog go gimpy on a front shoulder. Took a little head scratching to figure out why. She used to sleep on a spare bed that was fairly tall, she'd jump off onto the hard floor and it made her shoulder sore. Her 104 lbs was enough to cause a problem from the repeated impact. I kept her off it for a while, and put a thick foam pad with a rug next to the bed to pad her impact and it didn't come back.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:D
Glad to hear that all is well. God is good!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Most dogs heal pretty good on their own. I could tell stories from now 'till next week on the issues we have had. My favorite goes back about 15 years when one day I looked outside and one of our Yorkies (big 12 lb. male) made it through the gate and was barking at one of our horses.

The horse turned around and kicked the dog and I can still see it today......was like a hard hit line drive baseball. The dog was booted a good 20 feet.....straight as an arrow. I went outside and carried him in, set him down and put his food and water next to him and that's where he sat for about a week.

My wife is pretty good on animal issues and she initially checked him out to have no broken bones. One thing for sure, ole Lardo never chased the horse anymore.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

And you probably couldn't have paid that Yorkie to go after another horse!

Our Minature Pinschers throw a fit at our horses. Luckily, so far they haven't got near them.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

44-40 Willy wrote:And you probably couldn't have paid that Yorkie to go after another horse!

Our Minature Pinschers throw a fit at our horses. Luckily, so far they haven't got near them.
Don't understand little dogs, they are like little men....always have to prove themselves by fighting. :D Naaaaa.....we have a mess of Yorkies and they continue to attack anything that moves. I sleep good at night and I bet you do too. :D ------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:Glad he is ok
+1 :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys, :oops: :oops: :roll:

It is very possible that the $227 Vet bill was because one of two things or a combination of both.

1)Since this year being absolutely insane with the deer tick problem and a very high percentage this year carrying the infected Lyme, I have greatly refrained from the long in the woods hikes with Chaz!

Because of this his toe nails do not stay worn like usual. Now, Prior to last week I have never clipped his nails. Our little Schnauzer yes but normally the groomer does hers. Chaz's are like bear claws :lol: I did clip them a tad after I noticed that limp(last time prior was in August at Vets getting his Lyme Vaccine. I will be truthful I was very hesitant on how far to go so I aired on the extreme caution side.

When at Vets last week they said they are still too long.(they took him in the back and cut them and I noticed when returning after about 25 mins. you could hardly see them. The were just past where the fur ends. He had some bloody paws still between the webs of feet???????? Wow, they seem short. However, now he is not limping. The only other thing I have done is stopped playing catch with him tossing tennis ball inside our enclosed patio on the indoor/outdoor carpet. No going up on just his hind legs catching the ball and coming down on fronts rather forcefully.

So, maybe it was a combination of both things??
But it is possible not cutting them darn nails short enough, if so he got a $227 toe nail trim!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hey, look at it this way, you wanted to be sure he was OK, now you know. It was a learning experience. You erred on the side of caution, and have now learned more stuff besides.

Yes, when the nails get too long, the quick grows also, and when cut back to what should be the right length, can cut the quick also. They bleed, then heal and shorten. I've gone through that as well.

I don't blame you for being cautious, however, will say, they LOVE doing stuff. Doing stuff has some risk, but,...they don't live forever. I try to let my dogs live life to the fullest whenever I can. If there's ticks, a collar while out, or spray can probably deal with it, or the stuff you put on their back, or a bath with appropriate shampoo. Here, it isn't ticks so much, but rattlesnakes, bears, wolves, moose, and whatever else isn't coming to mind at the moment. Haley got zapped on the nose by a scorpion a while back, but it didn't seem to hurt her. She sure jumped when it connected though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?