My daughter said, "Why did you shoot such cute animals ..."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

My daughter said, "Why did you shoot such cute animals ..."

Post by 7.62 Precision »

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My daughter said, "Why did you shoot such cute animals .

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's funny and made me bust out. Hung out with a few guys from Down Under while bumming around in Alaska. They were amazed at how much flack they got for shooting Roo's and Wallabies. Even tho they explained how much of an overpopulated pest they can be.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

God intended for us to kill them, that's why he made them so tasty!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Peter in Acts - Arise, kill and eat.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Her biggest disappointment is that we can't easily take wallaby skins back to Alaska with us.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The answer I gave to mine about a suppressor and a night-vision optic was...

...because I have to justify spending all that money on a suppressor somehow... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

Does anybody bow hunt in Australia for kangaroos?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

. . . 'cause the ugly ones get elected to congress?'

Cat
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

tom deinek wrote:Does anybody bow hunt in Australia for kangaroos?

Not legally.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Regardless of how many Kangaroos (or Wallabies, as pictured) are on a persons land - they are a protected species. If you kill one you risk seizure of your equipment, including firearms, camping gear and motor vehicle and then being charged under law. You need to have tags issued by government departments to kill them.
Maybe our fearless Wallaby hunter could qualify just how he came to be knocking over native fauna with a supressed firearm - which is also illegal to all but some professional shooters.
I regularly shoot roos for a property owner who does have tags, and has considerably more roos than sheep on his place, but never found the need to take pictures of it.
Pop.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pop, do they compete for food with the sheep and cattle? Are they a nuisance? Any danger involved with them? I've heard of wallaby stew, is that for real?

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I believe he is in New Zealand.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Pop Watts wrote:Regardless of how many Kangaroos (or Wallabies, as pictured) are on a persons land - they are a protected species. If you kill one you risk seizure of your equipment, including firearms, camping gear and motor vehicle and then being charged under law. You need to have tags issued by government departments to kill them.
Maybe our fearless Wallaby hunter could qualify just how he came to be knocking over native fauna with a supressed firearm - which is also illegal to all but some professional shooters.
I regularly shoot roos for a property owner who does have tags, and has considerably more roos than sheep on his place, but never found the need to take pictures of it.
Pop.
Well, reading the blog post, he's in New Zealand, not Australia. One can only assume that the laws are somewhat different there - and I am assuming, having no knowledge of either country beyond the little bit I read.

m.wun beat me toit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

no offense, but I think you should shoot cats in New Zealand.

Still a cool photo.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

92&94 wrote:
Pop Watts wrote:Regardless of how many Kangaroos (or Wallabies, as pictured) are on a persons land - they are a protected species. If you kill one you risk seizure of your equipment, including firearms, camping gear and motor vehicle and then being charged under law. You need to have tags issued by government departments to kill them.
Pop.
Well, reading the blog post, he's in New Zealand, not Australia. One can only assume that the laws are somewhat different there - and I am assuming, having no knowledge of either country beyond the little bit I read.

m.wun beat me toit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yes, wallabies and possums were introduced to NZ from Aust and are considered pests.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

MY STANDARD ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION FOR THE PAST FIFTY YEARS IS THUSLY : IT IS HARD TO KEEP E'M IN THE FRYING PAN IF YOU DO NOT WHACK 'EM FIRST.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Rusty wrote:Pop, do they compete for food with the sheep and cattle? Are they a nuisance? Any danger involved with them? I've heard of wallaby stew, is that for real?
They can cause crop damage, compete for pasture and damage fences. We had a recent incident at our local range (which is located in a forest reserve) where the boundary fence had been lifted in places by roos. Sheep from the neighbouring farm entered the reserve and ingested a native poison plant and several died.

A roo is generally only dangerous if cornered with no escape route. That said, there have been instances of attacks on people in urban areas and where their presence has been encouraged by hand feeding.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/lo ... 6484064473

http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/ka ... n/1302874/

Wallaby and kangaroo stew is definitely for real but it's white-fellah tucker..... Here's a traditional Arrernte (Central Australian tribe) recipe:

"You find kangaroos in flat country or mulga country. In the old days, people used to sic their dogs on them and spear them. The milk guts are pulled out and a wooden skewer is used to close up the carcase. Then it is tossed on top of the fire to singe the hair which is scraped off, and then it's (put in a hole and) covered up with hot earth and coals. The tail and both feet are cut off before cooking. These are put in together with the rest of the carcase.

The kangaroo is chopped up so that many people can eat it. The warm blood and fluids are drained from the body cavity and drunk. Then it is cut in a special way; into the two thighs, the two hips, the two sides of ribs, the stomach, the head, the tail, the two feet, the back and lower back. This is the way the Arrernte people everywhere cut it up."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Bruce, I know just about all animals can go rouge in some way. I guess those buggers can really do some damage.

Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

My apolagies, I did not realise the shooting was in NZ where wallabies are a real pest.

The biggest damage Kangaroos do to most people is get dazzled by their headlights and end up as an expensive hood ornament.

For farmers, the competition for grazing is what creates the biggest problem. As was previously mentioned, they do amazing damage to fences because they seem to like crawling under netting fences rather than jump over them - which they could easily do.

Kangaroo meat is low in fat and high in protein and available in many supermarkets now.

I prefer a good curry, rather than stewing your roo or wallaby.

Marinated thinly cut steaks cook up well and if you mince up the meat you can make nice rissoles (meat patties) out of them.

Even though you are technically not allowed to take the meat from a culled animal it just seems too good to waste.

As far as dangerous to humans, as mentioned before, only if really backed into a corner and have absolutely no means of escape. I did see one take to a mate of mine one night a few years ago. We were shooting for a farmer and his head shot turned out to be a nick that stunned the roo. When my mate walked over to drag the carcas back to the ute the poor old roo jumped up when he grabbed it's leg and kicked him three or four times before it hopped off. I was driving and working the spotlight and if you could have seen the look on my mates face when that roo jumped up and kicked him, you would be laughing about it now like I am.

I love Kangaroos and certainly do not enjoy shooting them, but do it to help out farmers who let me onto their land to hunt pigs, foxes, rabbits, goats and deer - all of which pose far more serious threats to our native wildlife and environment.

Pop.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the photo and info. Both on my list of places to show up some day and bother guys I used to work with.
It is not the critic who counts
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

We have very liberal hunting laws. They only thing to watch is hunting fowl.
It is absolutely forbidden to hunt native birds.
There is a duck shooting season in May.
You can shoot wild Turkey anytime.
Slaughtering Canadian geese is sometimes positively encouraged.

Possums, kill as many as you can..
You can hunt with a crossbow, anytime.

The Wallabies are found all over the place. They probably carry TB.

If you really what to be primitive you can even hunt pig without a firearm. A hunter will get his dogs to bale the pig up and then he will impale it.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The movie The Hunter, filmed in Tasmania by an Oz company, is one of the best movies of the last decade.
They killed and gutted a wallaby while making the movie - it was important to the plot and was also part of the acting method for Willem Dafoe. Because of this, the film never ran in US theaters.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Everyone wants to know where babies come from but no one wants to know where the supermarket meat comes from!

The best programme on New Zealand television is "Hunting Aotearoa"

Let's say it is true to life.

Here is a YouTube tube

It is in the English and Maori languages

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-0yA_haNc
Last edited by KiwiKev on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Many very funny replies! :lol: :lol: :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

KiwiKev wrote:Everyone wants to know where babies come from but no one wants to know where the supermarket meat comes from!
Isn't that the truth?

More and more I think that hunting is a much more humane treatment of animals than a lot of the factory farming/slaughterhouse treatment. Lately a lot of the chicken I see has broken bones accompanied by a lot of bloodshot meat, indicating rough treatment before the animal was killed. I don't mind using animals for food, but I have a problem with abuse. In hunting, animals are generally killed very quickly and without abusive treatment.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

We have Wallabies here too on the island of Oahu up in Kalihi valley probably about a hundred from an original 6 that escaped a collection 100 years ago. They are protected here even though non-native because they can't seem to identify the species and suspect they may have gone extinct back in Oz.
I saw one once standing there on the shoulder of the Likelike Hwy at 3 a.m., I thought it was a giant rat for a second. :o

Hawaiian Rock Wallaby
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

KiwiKev wrote:Everyone wants to know where babies come from but no one wants to know where the supermarket meat comes from!

The best programme on New Zealand television is "Hunting Aotearoa"

Let's say it is true to life.

Here is a YouTube tube

It is in the English and Maori languages

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-0yA_haNc
Thank you for the link. I love this YouTube channel too: https://www.youtube.com/user/waikarimoana/videos
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

There are lots of different varieties. I have heard of the rock Wallabies.

Here is a great video

I think she is called EVE and he is called ADAM

I am sure I heard Adam tell Eve. 'Don't touch it!'

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNYpEfMbjY