loading for the 405 Win

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

loading for the 405 Win

Post by foxtrapper »

I have a Ruger#1 in 405 Win that I would like some help with. I have 325gr Hard cast gas checked bullets that I would like to load with Benchmark powder. Anybody have a starting load for this combo?
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

Start off at 50 grains even, that will put you at/near 2000fps. But at that speed you are going to need lots of cast bullet knowledge to keep leading down. Proper bullet size, bullet lube, ect.ect.

What do you want to do with your loads ? Target and whitetails 1300 fps is plenty enough speed. For these loads XMP 5744 is perfect.

If bigger game is on the menu I would try some 3031....................JJ
Last edited by JJ_Miller on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks JJ Miller

Post by foxtrapper »

At least its a start :lol:
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

In '04 I took a 1895 405 as a back up to a flintlock on a safari to South Africa. I used a Hornady 300 gn FP loaded with 55gn of H-4895. That gave me an average of 2230 fps. I was running it thru a levergun. I think you could run your Ruger up to the point where your shoulder gives out before the Ruger No.1 does.

Its all about the pain :wink: ................................................JJ