Mr.Heater and winter tent camping question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Mr.Heater and winter tent camping question.

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Something I always wanted to do in my 45 years of Deer hunting is camp out for it, so this year my youngest son(22 years old) and I are going to do it.

Was wondering if anyone on here has used the Mr.Heater heater in there tent for camping,according to the Mr. heater Co. you can use them in a tent,my tent is 12x12

I don't want my son and I to go to sleep and never wake up!

We are in Pa,the temps at night the first week of Dec. shouldn't be lower then the mid 20's I don't even think it will be that cold...day time temps most likely get to mid 40's

With my luck we will wake up to a foot of snow which actually would be great!

Thank for any good input!

Here is my tent:
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Mr.Heater and winter tent camping question.

Post by Griff »

I'm not sure which "Mr. Heater" you're referring to, but I use a tank top propane heater in my tent (16x20) and haven't had any issues...

Mine is very close to their MH30TS, although if I recall correctly, mines 6, 12 or 18K btus. but is a dual burner.

My tent is a wall tent, and I keep the openings at the ridge beam open at the front where I use a combination fly awning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

The Big (double) Buddy Heater will give you all the heat you need and can be turned down to half output if it gets too warm. It has a low oxygen sensor so you won't go to sleep and never wake up. I've been using one in my trailer for a couple of years now and it keeps it pretty warm in there all night. The trailer is 28ft and even on the coldest nights it keeps it around 65 degrees running both bottles. With one bottle it will keep it in the 50s. They also make a smaller model that would probably work but a tent has no insulation so I'd go with the Big Buddy model.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff,

do you use a CO monitor? it would be good info to know how clean the air is.

where does the combustion gas go? is it all used up/catalyzed?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://www.google.com/search?q=tent+st ... =505&dpr=1

lots of wood heaters around. some of them fold flat for transportation. the fuel is in the woods. can cook on them. and it's actual sunshine in the tent. I plan to find or make something like this for the boat I'm building.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Stay away from the Mr. Heaters. You will die, especially if the tent is all zipped up. There are other heaters that "supposedly" will not do that.

Me?, I trust good old fashioned wood. For about as much as a Model 64 Winchester will cost, you can get a good quality wall tent and a wood stove. I've been doing that for years and its a blast. I have camped in 15 below zero weather and can walk around in the tent in my undies. You never run out of fuel. :D-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

go down to your ace or truevalue hardware store and get you CO2/carbon monoxide alarm put it in your tent at the level that you sleep as CO2 is heavier than air and CO mixes with air you should be fine, make sure the tent is vented. that said Iam with sixgun all I use is a wood stove. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:Griff,
do you use a CO monitor? it would be good info to know how clean the air is.
where does the combustion gas go? is it all used up/catalyzed?
No... cross- ventilation at ridge beam. Plus, I don't sleep with it on... warm the tent up, shut off the heater... mine has an electronic ignition so just reach over turn on the gas, push the button, let the tent warm up again...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Heck, most of the time a simple coleman lantern (fuel or propane) will get a tent plenty toasty before hitting the sack... and you can actually see while using it. :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

The little heater buddys have a low o2 shutdown and i have used them in a panther mini wall on a bulk tank with no issues. My main long term is a wood burner in a 15x15 pyramid.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:Here is my tent:
I've got the same tent, and use a propane space heater inside without worry.

There are vents under the windows and in the peak of the tent that ensure airflow and prevent CO2 accumulation. If there's a breeze, you'll get air flowing through the tent because the vents can't be closed unless you pull stakes and set them closer to the tent..

I've found the the tent blocks the wind, but it won't hold heat. Fact is, once the heater is off, it'll get cold.

When I camp where I know the temp is going to be down or drop at night, I use a Warm-Up in my sleeping bag.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was stationed at Ft Irwin, CA back in the late 90s. We used the Mr. Heaters to run the heat for all tents and kept a full supply of propane bottles. We also ensured it was known by all that they must not sleep in tents with a heater going. Shortly after I left in 1998, there was a story where 2 soldiers in 1-11 ACR failed to comply and it cost them their lives.

Your better off not to take a chance on carbon monoxide. It wont get that cold, your better off to shut off the heater and wake up 30 minute early, kick on the heat and get out of the sack when its nice and toasty.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I've used the buddy heater for several years with no problems. I usually turn it on about an hour before hitting the sack and turn it off when I get in my bag. I turn it back on about 1/2 an hour before getting up and it will warm the tent fast. I have the same tent you have in the picture. I ran it all night once and it got too warm inside althought it was in the low 20's outside. The buddy heaters have an automatic shutoff if it senses the carbon monoxide.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Whenever using propane heaters ALWAYS have adequate ventilation, no matter what the instructions say. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can strike before you realize it.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

UncleBuck wrote:Whenever using propane heaters ALWAYS have adequate ventilation, no matter what the instructions say. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can strike before you realize it.
I should have added that to my post. Even though it has an automatic shutoff, I always leave one of the zip-up windows partially open...just in case.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

The manufacturers of heaters with O2 sensors claim that no one has ever died when using a heater with the O2 sensor on it. I googled that info and could not find one documented case of a death due to CO2 poisoning with the sensor present. Years back, there were heaters on the market without low O2 sensors and people did die. Check for yourself. Too many "facts" quoted on sites like this to get reliable info. The O2 sensor is very reliable and you will not get CO2 poisoned using a Buddy Heater with a low oxygen sensor on it.

Edit: I just checked again on this subject and found an interesting note. The propane heaters made by Mr. Heater will not reliably function above 7,000 ft. The low O2 sensor works by the pilot flame being reduced due to low O2. When it is reduced, it triggers the thermocouple to quit working and shuts the unit off. If you're going hunting at altitude, you could have a problem. Don't mess with the pilot to get the unit going again as this will tamper with the low O2 safety device. Low O2 and positive CO are not the same thing. Positive CO binds to red blood cells around 300 times faster than O2 and will not release from the red cells simply by going outside. Once bound together, they stay together. In other words, getting into fresh air won't fix the problem of CO poisoning.
Last edited by jmiller on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Joe,

I take your point but have this question, is low O2 the exact same thing as positive CO?

Do the two things kill the same way?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just thinking here.....in addition to the co2 issue, would the propane heater also eat up the oxygen?----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have one!
Bought last year at Tractor Supply. :cry:
Bought it for the sole purpose for (if power goes out)for quick heat until back on.
Actually if I have to, I can just throw a couple logs in my Newmac Combo furnace/open blower door and gravity do its thing.

But anyway for the thing you are taking about-----------here is what I thought?????
Well, it's propane so I bet it don't stink! (unlike a kerosene heater)and because my home heats extremely well (example, furnace has not been turned on yet---just my Eden Pure Heater a tad)so, back to what I found.
My propane range(does not smell when used)say running a few burners(just dandy)
My 20 year old Emergency 20,000 BTU Sears kerosene heater when used with white kerosene and a teaspoon of additive (my wife THOUGHT smelled a tad)course when you only use it about once every two years ????? Actually compared just dandy!

So, I bought Mr. Heater(Big Buddy)and the extension kit(that you can use a 20gal propane tank)normally on grill :lol: (in case) and a 2 pack of 4 1lb propane cylinders.

You know what???---------------that thing stinks????(smell wise)nothing like your propane cook stove.Also in my house you can actually feel it cutting off the oxygen. Did I run it till it crapped out ??? Nope----it got too intolerable before that(throat scratchy/felt like something was gripping the neck cutting off your Oxygen. Much worse than the OLD Kerosene Heater.

Hey, check this out. My BIL him and his wife(frugal people/and I mean clean freaks bordering on being obsessive,(example no dog,their dirty etc.) Anyhow they bought this standing fireplace and Lowes(natural gas hookup)100% efficient they said.
I said really???? So we went down in finished basement having a wine/listening to some Dean Martin :lol: :D (his house)
About after 30 mins from him turning it on (I felt like I was on Mt. Everest at 20,000 + ft WTF

Ooops-------look over it shut off :lol: (lack of Oxygen)what do they do ??? Open the door to other room down there to his ungodly clean Grizzly tool filled woodshop. He said---there. After about another 20-30 mins back on the mountain again look over see the flame cutting out(gone its out) I said(well dear, I think its time to let Charlie/Gabby out at home don't you)????
The frigin thing was a UNVENTED standing natural gas fireplace heater-------------------------One word, SH## (the makers who would make such a thing s/b repeatedly horse whipped! Later for going back down there(even with free wine)I will stand out on the carport @ zero degrees first!

I have probably 6hrs total use on my thing, cause ---(it stinks)
Even the dogs inside sneeze and run to another room! :lol:
Would I trust my life with that in a tent----------NO!
Unless you have the door totally zipped open and it pointed out the door(maybe)??????

Better idea-------some quality long johns(extreme rated sleeping bags)-------try this(go get one, take it home, try it in your full sized home------and smell the stink.-------one thing, save the receipt so you can run back and get your refund.

Having a Keystoker Coal stove put in basement next month------brothers got one and that don't stink. Power goes out and having the car battery option(hook it up and run it another 4-5 days. Power still out--------------take wifes out of her SUV! :oops:

JMHO-----And I still think the makers of that thing and BIL's thing(s/b horse whipped and would be if I was God)

Instead
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/portable-mi ... =256336789
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:Something I always wanted to do in my 45 years of Deer hunting is camp out for it, so this year my youngest son(22 years old) and I are going to do it.

Was wondering if anyone on here has used the Mr.Heater heater in there tent for camping,according to the Mr. heater Co. you can use them in a tent,my tent is 12x12

I don't want my son and I to go to sleep and never wake up!

We are in Pa,the temps at night the first week of Dec. shouldn't be lower then the mid 20's I don't even think it will be that cold...day time temps most likely get to mid 40's

With my luck we will wake up to a foot of snow which actually would be great!

Thank for any good input!

Here is my tent:
Those buddy heaters work pretty good. The biggest thing to watch is the condensation, especially in that nylon tent in your picture. It's not as bad in a canvas tent, but I've had ice form on the floor from the condensation dripping from the propane heat,in my old Cabela's Alaknak.
It's best to have a 30lb bottle or two on hand along with the adapter hose as those little 1 lb bottles won't last a night on full output.Also make sure your buddy heater is cleaned out as the oxygen sensor will shut the thing off if there's some accumulated dust in there. Also take a small board, like a 1x8 just big enough to set the heater on to keep it off of the tent floor.
Best setup is a heavy canvas wall tent (5ft sidewalls) and a wood stove, but that is a bit spendy for just a one time thing..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Heck Don... if you are packing a 5' sidewall canvas tent (or even a GP "Small") you may as well pack a "Yukon Stove" as well... 5gal of Diesel is much cheaper than propane... and you can pour it into (or out of) your 2-1/2 Ton... :P :wink:

Honestly, IMO those propane jobs are GREAT for heating sheds, barns &/or other outbuildings, but I simply have no desire to tote one on a hunting trip.

(But then, I'm the guy who cited Regulations so I could sleep outside in a bivvy bag and didn't have to cross a 100+deg temperature gradient (-70f to +30f) into my squad's GP Small when I was bivouacking on the NWTC...)

I'll stick with a good sleeping bag, a Coleman Lantern, and a well banked fire... (or mogas cookstove where "required") over a catalytic heater (extra "stuff") any day...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: OI at this point in life , if I'm going to go someplace away from my own warm bed and easy chair, I ain't gonna stomp into frozen boots no more... :mrgreen:
The wall tents with the barrel stoves will take the chill off very nicely , and makes a long stay at elk camp much more comfortable.
Those buddy heaters are alright for a spike camp with just a couple of the lil bottles, but you can't run them very long until they're empty so have to choose your heat time carefully. A good 4lb bag with a flannel blanket inside, will help offset the "no heat" hours, but dang frozen boots are just not something I relish the thought of any more And that's the reason we have campers with forced air heat these days. :D Never mind the hot water for shaving in the morning. :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sixgun wrote:Just thinking here.....in addition to the co2 issue, would the propane heater also eat up the oxygen?----6

SIX,

We definately think alike here! Those CO2 sensors may work great, but if it the flame take all the oxygen your still going to end up 6 ' under. IMO sleeping in a tent with a heater going is no different than playing Russian Roulette. The odds are that you will be OK, but if you loose???

Of course you do always have the option of posting a FIRE GUARD and swap out shifts for sleeping.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: Be one h e double l of a tent that wouldn't let enough oxygen in to offset any fumes coming off of a Buddy heater. :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I bought one of the mini-Mr Buddy......tip over proof and O2 sensor. ....I have CO alarm installed in van....I intend to open top vent, crack windows, etc.....probably turn off when it's time to crawl under covers...........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

So, it appears it is still an open question.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't mean to be a troll, but seriously, why have a heater at all? I've been on many a winter campout without anything but body heat. With a decent sleeping bag, a couple of army blankets inside, and maybe one of those foil blankets, you are going to be fine if it's in the '20s, heck that's balmy. Wear good socks and mittens to bed.

If you want more, try hot water bottles.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

I might have gotten carried away trashing the heater(if fact the wife said----weren't you last year saying when you got it how great that thing will be on that site????)

I might have?????

It's just #1 I was a little disappointed that those 1lb tanks surely did not last very long.
But the big deal issue for me at least is the inside my home(though it is insulated very well)being aprox. 2000 sq ft on one floor,
I surely would assume you would not have this (smell/no air type feeling running it)asked my wife if it was just me(she said no,it is very noticeable)after about 20-30 mins if you don't open up the sliding door for a few minutes it gets very uncomfortable.My 20 year kero heater(no)

Reason I did not return it was because I kept it too long before using it for an extended period of time(like over 4 hrs)???
I mean in my mind I was thinking it can't be any different than the oven. It is(when you watch that panel light and run on that Mr.Buddy it appears it does not totally burn all the propane clean like a lit stove burner or even for that fact as well as the heat coming off the oven door open when set to 350 degrees(though do not advise this)
Cannot explain it------it gives off this distinct smell(air consuming to the extreme given the tiny amount of BTU's it provides)
Maybe I just got a bad one??????

Also I though for the small cost of it------if I had to (major emergency when everything else fails)just use it(keep cracking the door every so often,or put in basement with upstairs door shut run it(if it goes out(sensor)screw it!
Think it ended up costing me $85 on their door buster sale-------so the take back thing vs its use(if had to)-----just will keep it.
Maybe it needs to run more------------------so I might try it some this next few weeks??????????
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

El Chivo wrote:I don't mean to be a troll, but seriously, why have a heater at all? I've been on many a winter campout without anything but body heat. With a decent sleeping bag, a couple of army blankets inside, and maybe one of those foil blankets, you are going to be fine if it's in the '20s, heck that's balmy. Wear good socks and mittens to bed.

:shock: Dude :?: Seriously :?: Have you ever spent any time in snow and 20* temps :roll:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is NOT fun!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Just thinking here.....in addition to the co2 issue, would the propane heater also eat up the oxygen?----6
SIX,
...but if it the flame take all the oxygen your still going to end up 6 ' under...
If the heater is working right, there is no flame.

My heater is around 35 years old and it get used more out in the barn during winter reloading sessions than it ever gets used camping. It won't heat up the 12x60 work shop, but it keeps my small work area good if I cut off the larger area with a drop cloth of some sort... It would be even better if I ever got a covering of snow that'd insulate the metal roof! But, at only 18,000 btu's I don't expect more. And yes, a 20 gal tank is good for several sessions, usually lasting the full winter... depending on how much reloading I have to do over the winter months. But it's seldom is needed, as our winters aren't that cold in the Dallas area.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I don't mean to be a troll, but seriously, why have a heater at all? I've been on many a winter campout without anything but body heat. With a decent sleeping bag, a couple of army blankets inside, and maybe one of those foil blankets, you are going to be fine if it's in the '20s, heck that's balmy. Wear good socks and mittens to bed.

:shock: Dude :?: Seriously :?: Have you ever spent any time in snow and 20* temps :roll:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I grew up camping in the Shoshone Natl Forest. (Nice camping spot near Bill & Gill lakes). Everybody ought to learn how to build a "Spruce Teepee" in a snow drift... (NOLS wan't Cali Hippie when I lived in Lander...)

Hell, I volunteered for NWTC duty and was on the plane only minutes before the General Recall for Gulf I.

Cold's OK by me.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

Lapsus linguae.

Think he means a 20# tank, not 20 gallon tank.

Here abouts it is possible to buy propane by liquid volume although that is unusual.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I've got the 10 X 10 version of your tent. Use the small Mr. Heater in it to take off the chill. I don't run it all night. If you do run it all night you will have a condensation issue. Open one of the top vents and just the corners of two of the lower vents and that will mostly take care of that problem. Still don't like to run it all night. Nothing is 100% fool proof. I have this thing about wanting to wake up in the morning. I am toying with the idea of making a wood stove out of a surplus 20 MM ammo can. Stove jacks are easy to sew in.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Major surplus sells a nice wood burner for a tent $125.00
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Thanks for all the input guys!
Very interesting pros & cons.....on the heater.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Don McDowell wrote:

I'm from Ohio, and our scout troop used to camp out every month, year round. I've spent nights down to -5 F and 20 above is not that bad.

My first winter campout was bad, before I learned about the wool blankets. Also, a trick; use safety pins to make a pocket for your feet so they stay enveloped in the wool.

It has been a long time, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, what we learn in scouts we keep forever.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

El Chivo wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:

I'm from Ohio, and our scout troop used to camp out every month, year round. I've spent nights down to -5 F and 20 above is not that bad.

My first winter campout was bad, before I learned about the wool blankets. Also, a trick; use safety pins to make a pocket for your feet so they stay enveloped in the wool.

It has been a long time, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, what we learn in scouts we keep forever.
Adda boy.
You get a Boy Scout Salute from the grumpy old Scoutmaster.
Click Click Boom
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Unless you are some sort of superhuman , your body requires some sort of heat source other than it's own during prolonged exposure to cold temps. That means a fire, or a heater of some sort.
Yes you can get by a night without some sort of heat, but come the next morning you're going to need something to warm up your core temperature.
And that boys and girls is where those little buddy heaters, or even a sterno stove come in really really handy. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Don McDowell wrote:Unless you are some sort of superhuman , your body requires some sort of heat source other than it's own during prolonged exposure to cold temps. That means a fire, or a heater of some sort.
Yes you can get by a night without some sort of heat, but come the next morning you're going to need something to warm up your core temperature.
And that boys and girls is where those little buddy heaters, or even a sterno stove come in really really handy. :wink:
Your core temperature is fine because you retained your body heat during the night because you were properly prepared. I was never "cold" when wrapped up. Never shivering. You just get more blankets. And when the sun comes out it's going to be 45 or so, not 20.

In scouts, we also built fires, but you really get warm from walking around. The fires were for exploding soup cans and match-head bombs. Oh and cooking.

Nothing wrong with a stove or heater, except the possibility of dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. Why risk it?

Animals in the wild go their whole lives without an external heat source, they hunker down in dens and of course they have their fur.

But yes there were kids who spent the whole camp-out in their dad's pickup truck with the motor running. Don I guess you're just not Intuit.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Elchivo, you've said some plain darned ignorant things here before, but your last post just about takes the cake. :roll:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Don McDowell wrote:Elchivo, you've said some plain darned ignorant things here before, but your last post just about takes the cake. :roll:
:?:
An outside heat source is not the best way to raise core temperature. Metabolic, meaning getting up and moving to create heat, and calories consumed is the natural way. I think he's right.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well as someone who has spent their entire life working outside, I can tell you with certainty walking around will only work for so long, and then if you don't get warmed up and stay warm exhaustion will start to take it's toll. As long as we're on the exhaustion, most of the folks that end up being found dead from hypothermia have usually stripped off most of their clothes due to their mind thinking they are sweating. Which is another thing, if a person does do enough exercise to gain enough warmth to defeat the cold, then sweat becomes a sudden chiiling factor when the activity starts. Clothes start to freeze.

Also any one that has even the most basic of survival training should know the basic element of survival is shelter , heat and food. If a heat source is not important to be able to stave off hypothermia, then there would be no need for folks to carry some sort of fire starter...
Also as someone who has spent many an enjoyable outing camping in the high country during the cold fall days of elk hunting, I can tell you with certainty that trying to sleep/live inside of a tent with no heat source is a miserable ***. Also have a ton of experience with that nylon tent, altho, mine is the original Alaknak version, and do believe that a spruce teepee is about 10 times better shelter than that thing when it does get cold. As to the wood stove you can put in the Alaknak version that is designed to accept a stove... You can't cut enough wood to get enough heat in that thing at one time to take even the basic of chill off, the size of the stove is so small. (those tents are extremely flammable) That is how we came to know that the Buddy heater is a good heat source in the thing, and also how we came to know that in cold weather ( not talking real cold just anytime it gets below 40*) you will need to run the heat all the time except during the day if there is full sunshine. Also see my comments in prior post about needing to ventilate it enough to keep condensation from being a real problem, and the ice forming on the floor due to the condensation.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Excellent and important discussion. Seems every year or two we have a tragedy - especially it seems in our " Kaibab" country (legendary hunting but isolated and often very cold - north of the Grand Canyon) of a few hunters found dead in their camper due to CO. Usually due to beoing so cold, the often inexperienced hunters not ventilating. Even in the Phoenix area - a few years back two young cowboys attending a rodeo camping out in the parking lot--in a truck camper. Can't underestimate CO and the importance of ventilation. If using a generator to power electric heat, so important to use a long extension to place it way away from the camper or tent (but also itself clear from flammables, not always an easy place to find especially in the woods).
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys----Not saying who is right or who is wrong here.

What I will say-----and I can say this with absolute certainty. The sweat thing with the clothes on(people dying from it)I think is over rated. Possibly in extreme cold and extreme wetness (like falling into a lake drenching all layers of clothes from outside/in etc.

However I can tell you(for a fact)having some layers of clothing on(sweating hard)at least within the underneath layers in temps in the 20-30 degrees then even just sitting down(and not even moving)you will dry out.(leaving all clothes on)that's the key.Reason I did not have this issue before is because last couple years I hunt way(up there)Could use my Grizz 700(but the hunting Gods for me---Not)

Seem to always over dress.(until after about an hour) I mean pair of long johns/sweatshirt/fleece zip-up/soft nylon windbreaker/and orange camo hooded zip up cotton/polyester Scent-Loc jacket(XXXL size)

On bottoms long johns/jeans/Scent-Loc camo sweatpants. Feet ---2 pair of wool socks/rubber boots.

Head-----Fleece pull down hat.

It seems I when going up that mountain(pitch dark)and always wanting to beat dawn(I push myself hard)I mean to the point----my hat wringing wet,my inside layers soaked,I stay zipped up tight,take my seat on the ground up against a huge tree,(and be still)

Maybe I am not of the norm but after about an hour------with just some very slight shivering for about 15mins towards end of first half hour----------------(I am dry)??????? I am warm???? my hat is even dry?????

So this sweating thing I am not getting it.(the absolute water logged deal,like falling into a lake yes I get it)

My daughter went last year with me(and boyfriend)they were beat hiking it.When I got with her at her spot(first day/right by me)she was sweating and even had her coat off hiking up mountain. She had a HD Gortex (expensive coat)not like daddy? :lol:
Sat down sweating some(sat there at 20degrees with only her long john shirt/vest)she looked cold(said she was not too bad)
I said----it was still dark---put that coat on(she said I will be too hot???) I said nope(watch and see after about a half an hour)same thing within about 30 mins she said she was perfect.

By some means I have found in cold temps(but not tested below zero etc.???)the body even when sweated up but with a top coat shell (TO KEEP THE WARMTH/SWEAT IN---the body/clothes somehow absorbs it back and dries???????????

Honest to God---------It amazes me. It got to the point though I would just wear the hoody and have other layers backpacked but still hiking a steep long mountain(you sweat) Best keep coats on when reach destination/have about 15mins of chill and then viola success.

Unless we are not human. The boyfriend(he sweated but how he ended up)??? sent him off in other direction???? :D :lol:
Actually he was fine just face wind burned some.He said---this is hardcore hunting!

One thing I did do was a temp test(actual thermometer)in a quick made snow cave(like in 15mins)tested it at 10 below with winds of 40mph---------inside stayed right around 31 degrees/no wind/nice and toasty------go outside(freeze to death)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Don McDowell wrote:Elchivo, you've said some plain darned ignorant things here before, but your last post just about takes the cake. :roll:
just showing how easy it is to raise your core temperature.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:Well as someone who has spent their entire life working outside, I can tell you with certainty walking around will only work for so long, and then if you don't get warmed up and stay warm exhaustion will start to take it's toll. As long as we're on the exhaustion, most of the folks that end up being found dead from hypothermia have usually stripped off most of their clothes due to their mind thinking they are sweating. Which is another thing, if a person does do enough exercise to gain enough warmth to defeat the cold, then sweat becomes a sudden chiiling factor when the activity starts. Clothes start to freeze.
+1

That is PRECISELY the reason I REFUSED to wear the stupid US Army ECWCS polypropylene "wooly bear" suit when doing anything but standing gate guard. ALL of my "active work wear" uniforms hailed from the 40s & 50s and were all multiple layers of natural fibers that both breathed AND stayed insulative when wet.

It almost cost me an Article 15, but in the end the know-nothing Georgia-Boy 1SG had to relent..
Don McDowell wrote: Also any one that has even the most basic of survival training should know the basic element of survival is shelter , heat and food. If a heat source is not important to be able to stave off hypothermia, then there would be no need for folks to carry some sort of fire starter...
I wouldn't say it is not important, but it is often not REQUIRED. Big difference. That's why I slept in a bivvy bag out in the -70* open rather than sweating my high-metabolism butt off in a +30* ambient tent. But yeah, I definitely keep exothermics handy...
Don McDowell wrote: Also as someone who has spent many an enjoyable outing camping in the high country during the cold fall days of elk hunting, I can tell you with certainty that trying to sleep/live inside of a tent with no heat source is a miserable ***. Also have a ton of experience with that nylon tent, altho, mine is the original Alaknak version, and do believe that a spruce teepee is about 10 times better shelter than that thing when it does get cold.
+1000 from this "old school Petzoldt" NOLSie...

I'd rather build a snow/branch Teepee under a Spruce than sleep in a Nylon tent. No almost about it.
Don McDowell wrote:As to the wood stove you can put in the Alaknak version that is designed to accept a stove... You can't cut enough wood to get enough heat in that thing at one time to take even the basic of chill off, the size of the stove is so small. (those tents are extremely flammable) That is how we came to know that the Buddy heater is a good heat source in the thing, and also how we came to know that in cold weather ( not talking real cold just anytime it gets below 40*) you will need to run the heat all the time except during the day if there is full sunshine. Also see my comments in prior post about needing to ventilate it enough to keep condensation from being a real problem, and the ice forming on the floor due to the condensation.
Well, our GPs never had floors, so I can't comment on floor condensation, but the "Yukon stove" (diesel/mogas drip-stove) would drive a sane person out of a tent with a quickness if not dialed waaaaay back. and they really weren't that big. 1'x1'x2.5' or so with a drip-plate and stack. Biggest worry with those was heating the stack cherry red all the way to the canvas... which got really interesting. (#2 reason why I cited Regulation so I didn't have to bunk with the Georgia Boys...)

While the Wife prefers Hard Sides, I'll still sleep in a canvas Shelter Half (well, both halves) when out on my own and not "light packing"...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

OI, my favorite tent for traveling lite, is one of the Kodiak's . It's canvas, it's water proof, and the way they designed the frame it'll stand 50 mph winds. It has an awning that makes a good place to sit and drink coffee when it's to miserable to be out. It has a storage net that goes up in the roof and acts much like an ozan in a teepee. A 2 burner coleman will keep it comfortable enough for shirt sleeves at 40* and rain for 3days. It's a bit heavy to pack in on your back at 65 lbs, but it's a lot handier than a wall tent for one or two persons on a short stay.
I think with the small buddy heater and a 20# bottle that Kodiak would keep a person very comfortable even in severe cold conditions.
I also have become spoiled by the hardsides, and their amenities. :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RE: my favorite tent for traveling lite, is one of the Kodiak's...

Thanks. I'll look into it... even though I am in the process of acquiring a small Camper from a neighbor... But that's going to be a parked Hunting Shack that rarely moves... :wink: :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You betcha.
Those Kodiaks are about as close as we can get to the old canvas Umbrella tents. I have the 10x10. They are tall enough that you can stand upright and not have to crawl around on your knees like in these tp styled tents.
A friend of mine up in Dakota got the 10x14 after he saw mine withstand the Quigly winds, and that's what he uses for his elk hunting tent now, along with using it all summer.