Timber scout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Timber scout

Post by m.wun »

Was looking at some old ads and saw one for the Win. Timber
Scout in .44 or .30-.30 . Anybody have one? Have not seen or
handled one.I know they dont make them any more.I like the
semi pistle grip,18 in. barrel,sight combo. they are set up for
a scout scope also.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

The Winchester "Pack Rifle" & "Pack Carbine" are about the same thing without the scope mount. My Pack carbine has lighter colored wood. The Timber Carbine is almost the same except in 444 Marlin. But with the noisy ports. None were cataloged very long. The 44 magnums quite are handy. But 444 Marlin will loose a great amount of velocity from the 18" ported barrel. But weighs less than a Marlin 1895 with a a 24"or 20" barrel, Texan or canoe paddle stock. Using a 300 grain Honady XTP it will still make a big hole.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I have one in 44 Mag. It's a handy little rifle and shoots real well. My wife had a friend call and ask me which one he should get in the new lineup of Winchesters. I told him this would go nicely with his Smith 29. Low and behold, she ordered it for me!
They came with the XS sights and the scout mount. Nice wood and good fit and finish. I really like the semi pistol grip. It came as a great surprise that Winchester was goin belly up when they were building some really neat rifles.
This was to be my scabbard rifle for pack trips, but its too purty. I do shoot it quite a lot though. It likes the same load as my Redhawk, too.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a .444 timber carbine. Its NIB, with the action never levered. Ported with very short barrel and the crossbolt safety. Very few of this one made.