Computer Speed - again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Computer Speed - again

Post by Old Savage »

A while back I posted a topic about computer speed and programs that may be running in the background. Computer often ran sluggishly. Due to another issue I deleted all Adobe products and added a Foxit PDF reader. Now the computer seems to run fast consistently.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Computer Speed - again

Post by GonnePhishin »

Are ya sure it ain't all them durty pictures ya gots on that there 'puter??? :shock: :lol:

Is this foxit pdf reader compatable with Adobe's?
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 on firefox programs. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why Buck, I am surprised at you, those are lovely pictures :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

UncleBuck wrote:Are ya sure it ain't all them durty pictures ya gots on that there puter?
Dang! OS, your reputation is growing.

Hey, maybe you can sweet talk that little blond on the commercials for P.C.Matic :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Fred,

Several programs, including the Adobe Acrobat Reader, force automatic updates on you. Sometimes, the Acrobat Reader continues to run, in the background, after you close the .pfd file. The Quicktime Player tries to get you to change your file-playback preferences, as well. I have disabled as many automatic updates as I can, and that makes a difference. I try to avoid using the Quicktime player, too. The incesent addition of "convenience" features is what slows down so many computers. Too many people do not understand that. I am glad that you found your problem.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Quite by accident, I was and am trying to get rid of the AVG Safeguard Toolbar Search.

Finally got rid of it but had to run their tool to do it.

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Foxit Reader as replacement to adobe for reading .pdf files, *highly* recommended.

Much smaller program for disk space and much faster.

My company uses it. It's our policy to only use it for any of our online forms, like vacation, travel requests, personnel change forms, etc.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

The trick is when installing any software program is to pay very close attention and opt out of anything but what you are trying to install. The problem is human nature as it is makes us fallible and prone to mistakes or lapses of attention. Many of the software installation programs take full advantage to the legal limits of these lapses. Thanks for the heads up on Foxit PDF software.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:The trick is when installing any software program is to pay very close attention and opt out of anything but what you are trying to install. The problem is human nature as it is makes us fallible and prone to mistakes or lapses of attention. Many of the software installation programs take full advantage to the legal limits of these lapses. Thanks for the heads up on Foxit PDF software.
Adding to this-- Almost never choose "Express Installation" which is always "recommended". Custom install will force the install package to submit to your line item veto of whatever bloatware that comes with it. If it doesn't look like an offical part of the program, decline it.

AdAware has come a long way from simple spam protection. It's built itself into an extremely competent anti virus suite as well and finds things that slip under AVG's radar (what I used to use). Foxit is great for cutting down on Adobe software bloat. if you have friends spread across a number of Instant Messengers, try Pidgin IM. It's an all-in-one messenger software that will run multiple IM protocols (AIM, MSN, Gtalk, Yahoo, etc) simutaneously. Pixlr is an awesome poor-man's replacement to photoshop. Firefox is my browser of choice for hardening my surfing against popups and malicious scripts with its copious addon ability.

Have fun :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks fellas for the further advice.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Fred I'll have to try that.

Some time ago I stopped using Kapersky anti virus when it expired as I wanted to go back to AVG. I found I couldn't uninstall it. I went to Google, typed in How to remove Kapersky. You ahve to go to their company website to remove it. I would have been fighting with it yet had I not done that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

My nephew taught me this one. Very Helpful and Very Dangerous.

lower left corner, left-click the "START" thingie button
up about 6 is "SETTINGS" ..... left click
then left-click on "CONTROL PANEL"
look for "ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS" ...... left click
takes a minute and then you'll see all the programs on your computer.

The "Very Helpful" part is you can left-click on a program, which will highlight it ..... and then you can click on the "REMOVE" button and delete the program.

The "Very Dangerous" part is of course deleting something by mistake .... or thinking you know what you are deleting.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. just "removed" Adobe and installed Foxit Reader.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That procedure would not work in this case.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Old Savage wrote:A while back I posted a topic about computer speed and programs that may be running in the background. Computer often ran sluggishly. Due to another issue I deleted all Adobe products and added a Foxit PDF reader. Now the computer seems to run fast consistently.
Thanks OS!

I removed all the Adobe programs tonight, and a few others that showed as "rarely used", and I am already noticing a big difference in speed!

Not quite "hyper velocity" yet -- but a whole lot better than the "CB Caps" speed I'd been seeing lately. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH