Off centered williams Peep in order to sight in?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Smoke12
Levergunner

Off centered williams Peep in order to sight in?

Post by Smoke12 »

I picked up used model 94, 30-30 made in 1953, it's in excellent shape with good bore. It came with a Williams 94/336 sight on it. I'm new to peeps and usually shoot buckhorn irons. Elevation is great but it hits left (from a solid rest and squeezing the trigger). To dial it in, the peep winds up obviously right of center on the bolt when adjusted. I am blind in my right eye so shoot lefty but I can't see where that would matter, never has before! Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on this or should I just "get over" the off-centered peep as it shoots good?

Thanks for any comments!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Off centered williams Peep in order to sight in?

Post by geobru »

If the front sight is centered, it is what it is!
I'd line it up and shoot the heck out of it! :D

Welcome to the board!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've had a couple pre-64 94's that had the rear sight off to the side by a very noticeable amount. It bothered me when I first noticed it with one, and I'd had it a couple years before I noticed. If the gun shoots decent groups, I don't care much.

I don't know if the receivers were tweeked, or what the reason is. I cant see any obvious problem.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I worked for W.R.Weaver, while developing a mount for the Win 94 that mounted on the left side of the action, to the existing holes, Win. Eng. told us that the two centerlines could result in as much as 18 inches at 100 yards.
To them, that was acceptable design criteria.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Barrels on levergun receivers don't seem to be as likely to be perfectly parallel to the receiver lines as with bolt-actions, for some reason.

Anyway, from a practical standpoint, just shoot it as-is, or if it bugs you more to see the rear sight 'off-center' you can make the front sight 'off-center' in the other direction a comparable amount, enabling you to center the rear one - or you can 'split the difference'.

No real 'fix' for it otherwise, that I know of, other than putting a scope on it... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the best gun site there is, stay with us and enjoy it. I have some 5D sights and they all shoot good no matter where they are.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Have you checked the crown for wear or damage?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The peep is closer to your eye so you would notice more left or right varience than a sight farther forward. It depends on how you cheek your rifle and your eye placement. Shoot where your rifle is comfortable and shoulders natural to you . Don't worry about if the sight is centered or not. Everybody doesn't shoulder a rifle the same or has the same head shape. Mine is more of a block head. :D You will see this also in used blackhawk revolvers. Very few have the rear sight in the center. Because everybody's wrist doesn't park 90 degrees to their body.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

All my ae models are the same...bugged me too but not any more.

I often ponder it though. I can see how screwing a 94 action in an old machine and jig would develope some run out compared to a nice round turn bolt reciever!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I guess I'm the odd man out. I don't mind a rear sight two to three clicks off center either way, but any more than that I gotta fix it. My front sights MUST be vertical, I cannot tolerate a tilted front sight.

I'm right handed and left eye ( used to be anyway ) dominant and I shoot with the right eye anyway. All my 94s with receiver sights are centered and all of adjustable sight revolvers are too. My wrist is as crooked as most and I still shoot with the sights centered.

On the revolvers off center sights is more of a grip, trigger issue than it is an eye / sight problem.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

J Miller wrote:I guess I'm the odd man out. I don't mind a rear sight two to three clicks off center either way, but any more than that I gotta fix it. My front sights MUST be vertical, I cannot tolerate a tilted front sight.

I'm right handed and left eye ( used to be anyway ) dominant and I shoot with the right eye anyway. All my 94s with receiver sights are centered and all of adjustable sight revolvers are too. My wrist is as crooked as most and I still shoot with the sights centered.

On the revolvers off center sights is more of a grip, trigger issue than it is an eye / sight problem.

Joe
Couldn't agree more on a crooked front sight. I also will bias the front sight to one side of it's base to compensate for a peep. Most of my peeps are a few slash marks off center.

Yes the grip makes more sense than wrist or a little of both. I bought a couple Blackhawks that had the sight adjusted a lot one way and I had to recenter them . Previous owner was compensating for something. It wasn't gun.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
You should take a close look at a Hall Flintlock Rifle... well the percussion also. The sights are off set a good half inch to the left as the hammer is centered and on top of the pivoting rear breach. Breach pivots up for fast reload with paper cartriges. Takes a bit of getting used to. But they shoot as accurate as any military rifle.
Plus with the flinter model the pan is on top of the breach and the vent goes down. Touch these rifles off and it looks like Vesuvias errupting not far from the face.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ben,

This is taking the thread a bit off topic, but what the heck.

I have found through personal experience that how you place your finger on the trigger of a handgun dramatically affects shot placement. Most right handers, myself included, shoot to the left. That is because they put too much finger on the trigger and end up pushing the gun to the left as they pull the trigger back. I have had to re-teach myself to shoot with only the pad of the index finger centered just behind the finger nail on the trigger. That has made a big difference where my shots hit.

Another thing is I can't shoot well with Ruger's XR3-RED grips. To me they ruin the balance and feel of the revolver. Therefor, I've retro fitted all mine with the Colt SAA style XR3 grips.

Now back to our regular program .... maybe.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Ruger says the number one compliant they get on their fixed sight revolvers is that the revolver shoots way left and low (right-handed shooters) and people want to end their revolvers back for sight adjustment. Ruger says they try to discourage this until the shooter gets some training/practice/instruction, etc., since when they correct the sights for the shooter, in time the sights need to be corrected back the other way as the shooter learns proper shooting techniques.

Back on topic, a number of factors can determine where the bullet from a rifle goes, including barrel harmonics, the crown, receiver flex, shooting stance, eye placement, etc.

Remember that when using optics, some shooters require a totally different zero form eachother with the same rifle and scope. In fact, while a sniper team usually should be matched shoot the same zero if possible, some teams have to adjust the zero when switching out on the rifle.

If the rifle hits fine, where the sight is over the receiver makes no difference, I would not worry about it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

7.62 Precision wrote:Ruger says the number one compliant they get on their fixed sight revolvers is that the revolver shoots way left and low (right-handed shooters) and people want to end their revolvers back for sight adjustment. Ruger says they try to discourage this until the shooter gets some training/practice/instruction, etc., since when they correct the sights for the shooter, in time the sights need to be corrected back the other way as the shooter learns proper shooting techniques.

Back on topic, a number of factors can determine where the bullet from a rifle goes, including barrel harmonics, the crown, receiver flex, shooting stance, eye placement, etc.

Remember that when using optics, some shooters require a totally different zero form eachother with the same rifle and scope. In fact, while a sniper team usually should be matched shoot the same zero if possible, some teams have to adjust the zero when switching out on the rifle.

If the rifle hits fine, where the sight is over the receiver makes no difference, I would not worry about it.
This.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Smoke12 wrote:I picked up used model 94, 30-30 made in 1953, it's in excellent shape with good bore. It came with a Williams 94/336 sight on it. I'm new to peeps and usually shoot buckhorn irons. Elevation is great but it hits left (from a solid rest and squeezing the trigger). To dial it in, the peep winds up obviously right of center on the bolt when adjusted. I am blind in my right eye so shoot lefty but I can't see where that would matter, never has before! Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on this or should I just "get over" the off-centered peep as it shoots good?

Thanks for any comments!

Welcome, Smoke !

Remember, it takes two to Tango............ :roll:

If your zeroed rifle's offset peep sight aperture is bothersome, you could always slightly move the front sight blade a tad to the left & then rezero the peep, to make the offset less noticeable.

Smoke12
Levergunner

Post by Smoke12 »

Thanks for the "welcomes" and the ideas/perspectives, I'll take all into account. Reckon for now I'll just "get used to it and see what happens! Season opens up here next Sat. so looking forward to getting it out and seeing if we can bring home the venison.

I've read this site for years off and on and have gained considerable knowledge from the people involved; it's an outstanding site full of quality folks. thanks again for all the feedback!