I Think I'll Have This Tattooed On My Forehead

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

I Think I'll Have This Tattooed On My Forehead

Post by Blaine »

“If only…” These two words paired together create one of the saddest phrases in the English language.

Here are ten choices that ultimately lead to this phrase of regret, and how to elude them:

Wearing a mask to impress others. – If the face you always show the world is a mask, someday there will be nothing beneath it. Because when you spend too much time concentrating on everyone else’s perception of you, or who everyone else wants you to be, you eventually forget who you really are. So don’t fear the judgments of others; you know in your heart who you are and what’s true to you. You don’t have to be perfect to impress and inspire people. Let them be impressed and inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
Letting someone else create your dreams for you. – The greatest challenge in life is discovering who you are; the second greatest is being happy with what you find. A big part of this is your decision to stay true to your own goals and dreams. Do you have people who disagree with you? Good. It means you’re standing your ground and walking your own path. Sometimes you’ll do things considered crazy by others, but when you catch yourself excitedly losing track of time, that’s when you’ll know you’re doing the right thing. Read The 4-Hour Workweek.
Keeping negative company. – Don’t let someone who has a bad attitude give it to you. Don’t let them get to you. They can’t pull the trigger if you don’t hand them the gun. When you remember that keeping the company of negative people is a choice, instead of an obligation, you free yourself to keep the company of compassion instead of anger, generosity instead of greed, and patience instead of anxiety.
Being selfish and egotistical. – A life filled with loving deeds and good character is the best tombstone. Those who you inspired and shared your love with will remember how you made them feel long after your time has expired. So carve your name on hearts, not stone. What you have done for yourself alone dies with you; what you have done for others and the world remains.
Avoiding change and growth. – If you want to know your past look into your present conditions. If you want to know your future look into your present actions. You must let go of the old to make way for the new; the old way is gone, never to come back. If you acknowledge this right now and take steps to address it, you will position yourself for lasting success. Read The Power of Habit.
Giving up when the going gets tough. – There are no failures, just results. Even if things don’t unfold the way you had expected, don’t be disheartened or give up. Learn what you can and move on. The one who continues to advance one step at a time will win in the end. Because the battle is always won far away and long before the final victory. It’s a process that occurs with small steps, decisions, and actions that gradually build upon each other and eventually lead to that glorious moment of triumph.
Trying to micromanage every little thing. – Life should be touched, not strangled. Sometimes you’ve got to relax and let life happen without incessant worry and micromanagement. Learn to let go a little before you squeeze too tight. Take a deep breath. When the dust settles and you can once again see the forest for the trees, take the next step forward. You don’t have to know exactly where you’re going to be headed somewhere great. Everything in life is in perfect order whether you understand it yet or not. It just takes some time to connect all the dots.
Settling for less than you deserve. – Be strong enough to let go and wise enough to wait for what you deserve. Sometimes you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand up taller than you ever were before. Sometimes your eyes need to be washed by your tears so you can see the possibilities in front of you with a clearer vision again. Don’t settle.
Endlessly waiting until tomorrow. – The trouble is, you always think you have more time than you do. But one day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to work on the things you’ve always wanted to do. And at that point you either will have achieved the goals you set for yourself, or you will have a list of excuses for why you haven’t. Read The Last Lecture.
Being lazy and wishy-washy. – The world doesn’t owe you anything, you owe the world something. So stop daydreaming and start DOING. Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. Take full responsibility for your life – take control. You are important and you are needed. It’s too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now; the somebody the world needs is YOU.
http://www.marcandangel.com/2013/01/18/ ... -10-years/
Last edited by Blaine on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I Think I'll Have This Tattooed On My Forehead

Post by Mescalero »

Having met you in person,I will concede that you have a large forehead.
But you will never get all that on there.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Having met you in person,I will concede that you have a large forehead.
:o :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

So much for trying to inculcate you Heathens with a little philosophy. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ah....
I mis read your post, you were only going to do "if only"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:So much for trying to inculcate you Heathens with a little philosophy. :lol:
Heathens? After that comment you dare refer to US as heathens? :!: :!: :!: :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:So much for trying to inculcate you Heathens with a little philosophy. :lol:
Heathens? After that comment you dare refer to US as heathens? :!: :!: :!: :evil:
Sure....why not? :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Me, I'm only trying for a promotion up to Philistine. (grin)

"If only..." and "I should have..." are in the same category.

And there's a heckuva lot of people in bed at night staring at the ceiling regretting what that didn't do v. what they did.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff is just mad because I want to get an RCBS electronic Powder Measure..... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff....Reading is fundamental...Inculcate, NOT inculate :roll: :roll: Chill, Tex :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am going to buy one of those also.
You buy your's first and let me know how it works :wink: :wink:
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

BlaineG wrote:Griff....Reading is fundamental...Inculcate, NOT inculate :roll: :roll: Chill, Tex :twisted:
I had to look that one up :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Blaine, you're going to get me kicked of the internet here at work, makin' me google words like that! :lol:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Maybe I didn't get some of the big words but what I did get spoke some deep truth. I reached happiness some years ago and saddens me when I see folks, with everything right in front of them, walk blind. Your line, "life should be touched, not strangled.", would make a nice T-shirt or motto.
Party on, Man.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine has reached a point in his life where can be comfortable with introspection.
It is a good place to be.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I understand. For the first half of my adult life I was a "chameleon". I was the kind of person that was like those around me, and I could change as my company changed. I didn't do this on purpose, it just seemed to happen. By my changing to suit my surroundings (people) I was well liked and I seemed to "fit in". But I never thought/felt I fit in anywhere. Not knowing exactly what/who one is can be very confusing as opinions are usually wishy-washy and actions are dictated by the situation and company. "If only..." applied to my thoughts, opinions expressed, actions taken depending upon the personalities around me.. If only I was able to be myself. And true happiness and comfort eluded me.

I wasn't able to become me until I quit drinking and did a lot of work on myself. Took a few years working in a well known self-help program, but today I guess I'm about "all I can be", just a semi-old Christian guy living the good life in a small town in Southern Oregon...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't show where I got this. I didn't intend for anyone to think I was the author of it. :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

BlaineG wrote:I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't show where I got this. I didn't intend for anyone to think I was the author of it. :oops:
I received your pm and I book marked this page. Thank you, again. 1886.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

all I can say is WOW... :O
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm really trying to decide.

Is this:

A) Genuinely insightful and philosophically uplifiting.

or

B) New-age psycho-babble with maybe a scoop of look-back-over-the-shoulder regret and sentimental goop.

-------

A discussion of cause/effect or attitude/altitude can be beneficial at any stage of ones life.

Everyone needs periodic mental calibration, and there's nothing wrong with constructive insight.

Maybe it's one of those "If the shoe fits" type considerations.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sorry Blain, I thought this was a serious thread. From all the answers/replies I guess I'm the only one to not get the joke... :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:Sorry Blain, I thought this was a serious thread. From all the answers/replies I guess I'm the only one to not get the joke... :oops:
It was serious....Being serious does not mean you can't have a little humor involved. Brother Fred, it seems, had led a perfect life. We should all be so lucky. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Mescalero wrote:Having met you in person,I will concede that you have a large forehead.
Oh man, I needed a laugh today, thanks!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jazman wrote:
Oh man, I needed a laugh today, thanks!
Mescalero is too mean to tell him to "Bite Me" :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:
mikld wrote:Sorry Blain, I thought this was a serious thread. From all the answers/replies I guess I'm the only one to not get the joke... :oops:
It was serious....Being serious does not mean you can't have a little humor involved. Brother Fred, it seems, had led a perfect life. We should all be so lucky. :P
My answer was intended to be somewhat serious while suggesting that how one receives and interprets information is dependent in no small part on where in life one's feet are planted.

I'm just at a place on that road where I currently believe that I know where I am and what I'm looking at.

What usually happens at times like this, when I have some silly Idea that I've got a grip on the situation, is that life will take a bit juicy bite outta my backside.

As I said... periodic mental calibration.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Now that's just mean, funny, but mean. :D