Quest about ported Guide Guns - and a BIG decision

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Quest about ported Guide Guns - and a BIG decision

Post by Streetstar »

I was just made an offer on my Guide Gun (one I thought i'd never sell ) -- its an early blued and ported model , which I personally prefer, - been selling a couple of items here and there and a gentleman spied it in the corner of my office and asked about it

but 700 bucks is 700 bucks and the rifle has just been sitting for a couple of years since I took a break from hunting

With all the Remlin hysteria and everybody gaga over JM marked Marlins , is this thing worth hanging onto?

Its a great rifle , but I never envisioned it actually being worth any serious money --

Its almost a coin flip ---- hold onto it with an iron fist, or sell it, move on and replace with a Winchester at first opportunity (but I've taken the Marlin through terrain and nasty hunting situations i'd hate to subject , say, a Turnbull finished '86 to )
----- Doug
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quest about ported Guide Guns - and a BIG decision

Post by 86er »

It'll cost you about the same when all is said and done to replace it with a new one. You may find a used one in similar condition for somewhat less, some day. If you're just not going to miss it and could use the funds to find something else fun, or necessary then a sale seems logical. Sentimental value can never be replaced.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you like it, hang on to it.....I sold mine, but, it was due to avoiding shoulder pain, and really loud muzzle blast.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Keep it, you'll see another 700 bucks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:If you like it, hang on to it.....I sold mine, but, it was due to avoiding shoulder pain, and really loud muzzle blast.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not so loud now :!:

Sell it. I find blue, ported Guide Guns for under $550 quite often and sometimes as low at $450.

But...if you like it and think you might replace it...why sell? When you decide you want another one it seems you never can find it...
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:If you like it, hang on to it.....I sold mine, but, it was due to avoiding shoulder pain, and really loud muzzle blast.

Sell it. I find blue, ported Guide Guns for under $550 quite often and sometimes as low at $450.

But...if you like it and think you might replace it...why sell? When you decide you want another one it seems you never can find it...
I'm really glad you like it....not sure what's funny, though :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage wrote:Keep it, you'll see another 700 bucks.
+1 - The $$$ are only green paper, and one can usually scrape up some more fairly readily; but where are you going to get another known/trusted, but discontinued rifle ? . :mrgreen:

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pete44ru wrote:
+1 - The $$$ are only green paper, and one can usually scrape up some more fairly readily; but where are you going to get another known/trusted, but discontinued rifle ? . :mrgreen:

vancelw wrote:

OK -- you guys have made up my mind for me ---- Vancelw , I truly would buy another one if I could find one for $450, just to customize into a TD I think -- or to chop even shorter like you have done with the stainless project -- but then i'd likely still want to have it magna-ported. I was really impressed when I had to make a couple of quick follow up shots on a 2 doe opportunity a few years back --- noise means nothing when 3 critters are in your crosshairs and rapidly running away -- :lol:

OS, Pete, your right --- a little financial discomfort is usually only temporary and a reality of my occupation in certain winter months (but only if one doesn't plan effectively in the summer months :? )

Fairly ordinary GG for sure -- but you guys' are right -- I likely wont be able to find one when I want to replace it

----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:OK -- you guys have made up my mind for me ---- Vancelw , I truly would buy another one if I could find one for $450, just to customize into a TD I think -- or to chop even shorter like you have done with the stainless project -- but then i'd likely still want to have it magna-ported. I was really impressed when I had to make a couple of quick follow up shots on a 2 doe opportunity a few years back --- noise means nothing when 3 critters are in your crosshairs and rapidly running away -- :lol:

OS, Pete, your right --- a little financial discomfort is usually only temporary and a reality of my occupation in certain winter months (but only if one doesn't plan effectively in the summer months :? )

Fairly ordinary GG for sure -- but you guys' are right -- I likely wont be able to find one when I want to replace it.
Ha...!!!! We are such good ENABLERS...!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Streetstar wrote:noise means nothing when 3 critters are in your crosshairs and rapidly running away -- :lol:
It will when when you can't hear your grandkids or the rain on your porch roof or the frogs in the pond.

And you won't be :lol: then :(
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote:
Streetstar wrote:noise means nothing when 3 critters are in your crosshairs and rapidly running away -- :lol:
It will when when you can't hear your grandkids or the rain on your porch roof or the frogs in the pond.

I'm 42 years old -- I've heard about all the nonsense I want to hear anyway --- another 40 years of peace and quiet would be nice ! -- but in all seriousness , I wear noise cancelling muffs in the woods
-- besides, a ported Guide Gun is not loud by my standards -- a 10" barreled AR-15 is loud, and a .300 Magnum with a muzzle brake is loud, -- high horsepower pistols at indoor ranges -- all these things seem much louder than the GG, its a low pressure BOOM in comparison
----- Doug
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Streetstar wrote:
BrentD wrote:

I'm 42 years old -- I've heard about all the nonsense I want to hear anyway --- another 40 years of peace and quiet would be nice ! -- but in all seriousness , I wear noise cancelling muffs in the woods
I am 56. I'd love to get back to the hearing I had when I was 42.

And it ain't all peace and quiet - ever! google "what is tinnitus"
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

BrentD on the tinnitus I hear what you say thru the never ending noise!

hayabusa
1894c

Post by 1894c »

it's taken me forever to come to this decision, but I'm not selling anymore, everything is an asset, and
replacements may cost me more (ok it'll probably cost more)---SO I SAY KEEP IT...:)
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I rarely try to tell others what to do, but since you asked: I'd NOT sell it were it my decision to make.
I read all the comments on this forum about ported Guide Guns with interest because I have one, in 45/70. AWESOME "little" rifle I truly enjoy taking into the woods here in the S.E. states for deer and hogs. At the range, I do all I can to protect my hearing and can't comment on what effect the porting has on blast or noise in that situation. In the woods...I've NEVER noticed anything exorbitant about the noise or muzzle blast when making the single shot required on any of the animals I've taken with it. Matter of fact, I don't know about the rest of you folks...but it's been my experience that when hunting....I'm generally so totally focused on the animal in my sights that I don't notice the noise or recoil generated by the shot. That's been a consistent observation up to and including shots taken with my .458 Win Mag on Elephant and Cape Buffalo.
Were I involved in some kind of "culling operation" that required a lot of shooting everyday.. I'd be using ear protection. For the few shots I get to make each year during big game hunting, I don't worry about it.
Your experience may differ...that's been mine.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

We don't hear the rifle crack in the woods, but the damage is still being done to our hearing. I'm not a fan of porting.

As far as sell or no sell, nobody can answer that for you. Often folks say "don't ever sell a gun". I feel they must not own too many guns. If I hadn't sold some of my guns, there's no way I'd have been able to enjoy so many different ones over the years. I still have "more than I need", but I wouldn't have room to walk in the house if I still owned them all!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

JB wrote:We don't hear the rifle crack in the woods, but the damage is still being done to our hearing. I'm not a fan of porting.
That is exactly right. You may not notice the noise, but your ears do and the mechanical damage is done regardless. I'm not sure everyone realizes this.

I won't even share the line with a ported rifle. I leave. Ear muffs plus ear plugs are not sufficient.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BrentD wrote:

Respectfully, Brent - IMHO that's purely suposition.

I've been hunting/shooting factory-ported rifles like the Marlin GG & the Winchester .444 & .450M M94AE BigBore & Timber Carbines w/o ear protection since the type was first introduced over 25 years ago, and I can still hear a pin drop - including leaves rustling, wild animals walking and (sadly) my Green-eyed Monster too. . 8)

OTOH, I don't, however, EVER shoot them @ a rifle range w/o ear protection.

(IMO, since nearby range shooters should always wear ear protection, they're on their own.)
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Pete, there is no supposition to it at all. It's a plain ol' fact, like the world is round.

I am glad you haven't lost much - yet.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks - I just made it past 71 two weeks ago, and don't figure to have a whole buncha deer hunting left in me.

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Pete44ru wrote:

I definitely agree with both of these thoughts. Keep it.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Myself, Sell it!

I don't know if it is a mid age heading toward old age thing or what, but I want other than my very sentimental guns some new age technology improved weapons.

When I find something that works better I want that. After this deer season I sat down and really thought about a multitude of things in regards to what I require for hunting.
Fact is 99% of my hunting is going to be done in NYS Semi Auto is OK as I think in your state.
Why in the world would I not want a Semi-Auto weapon when in field. I mean though I expect like everyone on here the first shot will do the deed.
But, why not offer myself a better option of almost immediate follow up shots and with much less recoil and muzzle jump.
The sights, 99% of my hunting will be in the woods or areas where my shots will be within 150yds then why not have a enhanced optics system that can go from almost dark to an almost immediate on target.

My absolute best gun for all my big game needs where I will be hunting 99% of the time would be a Rock River LAR-8 mid length .308 with a Lucid HD7 w/additional 2X enhancer.

Until someday then the 5.56 NATO Colt Match HBAR or the Kel-Tec SU16-B in 5.56 NATO with Bushnell MP Trophy Red/Green Dot will fit my needs!

However, I have several weapons that are do it all guns for anything. Plan on keeping because I plan on using them and do use most of them.
My .375 H&H Bolt Gun and my 7mm Rem Mag Bolt gun. Africa hunt is a 100% deal in future as is a sheep hunt in BC so those two are keepers.
My Ithaca 37's with extra barrels etc
My Kel-Tecs for defense etc and of course my guns that touch the heart strings.
Also my Hatsan 125 Sniper replaced my 10-22 Ruger.

If you absolutely quit hunting big game and want something more fun factor that gets you out on the range etc. Do it!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Madman,

I hear ya loud and clear on using things that make my day easier ---- I am all for that

That said, in using the Guide Gun, I never felt like it was a "nostalgic choice" when using it, -- I just felt it was the most effective tool for the job in a lot of situations, even when I had a safe full of bolt rifles in more modern calibers and a couple of AR based semi-autos -- for shorter range hunting, the sequence of events work together like a symphony -- aquire sight picture, - BOOM, as the muzzle is rising a bit, cycle the action and by the time it settles down and you have a good sight picture again, its ready to fire, - many small motions coming together to seem like a fluid , seamless movement ---

I had the most success with that rifle, so I guess in a way it is bordering on a sentimental pick now, but I suppose now i'll never let it go --- a fella took a "rack grade" Remington 700 ADL in .243 off my hands last night and that sealed the deal completely for my 45-70 :)

I'm not a curmudgeon yet though, I leave the 6 shooters at home in favor a Glock 10 quite a bit if I think I might be driving through "injun country"

The old vs new conundrum reminds me of something completely un-related , but I'm an avid cyclist so the comparison came to my mind anyway ----

The bike pictured at top is an old racing mountain bike --- it has clean lines, a slim, lightweight frame, and absolutely nothing in excess , --
That machine is a still a great bike for its intended use, but now I prefer to use the bike pictured at bottom , -- once I got used to having full suspension and disc brakes, there was no going back

----- Doug
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I still ride my steel Guerciotti, no matter what. :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote:I still ride my steel Guerciotti, no matter what. :)
LOL -- I have a DeBErnardi in my attic and a Ciocc hanging on the wall in my weight room , but ride a carbon fiber Cannondale (the newer Carbon bike will never look as good as the old Ciocc does, for a wall hanger)
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nice bikes Doug!

Trust me my friend what works for me probably isn't the right thing for probably most :lol: :oops:
Maybe its just this temporary thing I am going through. Yep, I do that quite a bit.
Probably by this spring I will be saying the single shots are the best! :lol:

Ya, It's all good brother. If it floats our boat and makes us feel good I say the more variety we all share the merrier.

No doubt that Guide gun is the real deal and if that gun has taken the meat the best friend, she has sentimental worth.
Do not blame you one bit.

ps. Your riding some high class stuff bro! Santa Cruz is a fine horse.
The Yeti love its simple goings on, reminds me of my pair of 1993 Cannondale M700's
Take them anywhere and though you got some bounce, they will hang all day long!
Wanna hear something kinda embarrassing?
Bought a KHS Alite 2000 thought that was a step up(not like your machine though)then bought a 23" 2005 Fuji Silhouette Hybrid!

Still in unopened box bro! :oops: :roll: And that is no Santa Cruz either! :wink: Wish it was though! :D

Someday! :lol:
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

madman4570 wrote: Probably by this spring I will be saying the single shots are the best! :lol:

Oh, but they ARE!!!

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... rs%202.jpg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BrentD wrote:
madman4570 wrote: Probably by this spring I will be saying the single shots are the best! :lol:

Oh, but they ARE!!!

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... rs%202.jpg
:lol: :mrgreen:

And you know what, I ain't going to dare argue with that! :wink:

Some very fine works of art! :mrgreen: