Marlin 35 Rem barrel with 220 gr Speers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Marlin 35 Rem barrel with 220 gr Speers?

Post by Malamute »

I have a factory 35 rem barrel for a Marlin. I'm considering using it for a 356 project, (and using a bit less than max loads). Does the rifling twist rate in the 35's work well with the 220's at a bit above 35 Rem velocities?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 35 Rem barrel with 220 gr Speers?

Post by BigSky56 »

A buddy uses the 220 speer in 35 rem for elk runs them close to 2000 they work for him I'd check the twist rate and compare that to other 35 twists. danny
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, that's why I was curious. The 35's use a 1-16 twist, the 356's use a 1-12. I didn't know if the longer heavier bullet shot well in the 35's. Thanks Danny!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Layne Simpson did an article on them in the Marlin years ago. He reported fine results.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

They work great. I believe Buffalo Bore ammo co. pushes them to approx. 2200 FPS. I have loaded very close to that velocity in a "more modern" Marlin 336 .35 Rem. Case capacity became a challenge for me. I believe Remington brass has slightly greater capacity. I do have a question for you, why rechamber to .356 Win.? I understand wanting something different. I do not believe you will see any meaningful difference in velocity and if your Marlin is accurate, which it probably is, there is no guarantee that the rechambered rifle will shoot a s well. The .35 Rem. is a killer as it is. There was a great article on Marlin Owners a while back featuring the .35 Rem. with a variety of bullets. It is worth the read. Regards, 1886.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

1886 wrote:.. why rechamber to .356 Win.? I understand wanting something different. I do not believe you will see any meaningful difference in velocity and if your Marlin is accurate, which it probably is, there is no guarantee that the rechambered rifle will shoot a s well. The .35 Rem. is a killer as it is...
Because its currently a 30-30. I'm planning to swap barrels, I have a take-off 35 barrel. The bolt face will work fine for 356, I'd have to get another bolt to make it a 35,...and I have another 356, so already have dies brass etc. I figured I could use the 307 brass I have for the Marlin loads to easily keep them segregated, tho shooting a few regular 356's probably isn't going to hurt it.

With the extra case capacity, I should be able to better 35 loads some without running pressure up too high.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Malamute wrote:
1886 wrote:.. why rechamber to .356 Win.? I understand wanting something different. I do not believe you will see any meaningful difference in velocity and if your Marlin is accurate, which it probably is, there is no guarantee that the rechambered rifle will shoot a s well. The .35 Rem. is a killer as it is...
Because its currently a 30-30. I'm planning to swap barrels, I have a take-off 35 barrel. The bolt face will work fine for 356, I'd have to get another bolt to make it a 35,...and I have another 356, so already have dies brass etc. I figured I could use the 307 brass I have for the Marlin loads to easily keep them segregated, tho shooting a few regular 356's probably isn't going to hurt it.

With the extra case capacity, I should be able to better 35 loads some without running pressure up too high.
I get it. I did not realize the rifle was a .30-30. You may consider the Speer 180gr FP. You can really get those moving and I doubt, I do not know for certain, that the 220 version will penetrate any better. I would like to hear of your findings. 1886.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd think the 180's are probably better deer bullets at their higher velocities. I live in grizzly country though, so am looking at the heavier bullets. All that I've been able to learn indicates the 220's are pretty tough bullets. If the 180's will give similar penetration, they may be fine also, and give less recoil. I have no information regarding the 180's compared to the 220's though. My first instinct is that the 220's probably do penetrate better, and perhaps expand less than other bullets.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Malamute wrote:I'd think the 180's are probably better deer bullets at their higher velocities. I live in grizzly country though, so am looking at the heavier bullets. All that I've been able to learn indicates the 220's are pretty tough bullets. If the 180's will give similar penetration, they may be fine also, and give less recoil. I have no information regarding the 180's compared to the 220's though. My first instinct is that the 220's probably do penetrate better, and perhaps expand less than other bullets.
The 180 is every bit as tough as the 220. I understand your point though. The only way to know is to test them and that sounds like lots of fun. I believe either bullet would not be a first choice for deer. Too tough. 86er might have some insight. I would like to hear of your results. 1886.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Malamute wrote:I have a factory 35 rem barrel for a Marlin. I'm considering using it for a 356 project, (and using a bit less than max loads). Does the rifling twist rate in the 35's work well with the 220's at a bit above 35 Rem velocities?
Be sure to do a follow up on this....I have a 336 in 35 Rem that was reamed to .358 that I might used at reduced pressures....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

those 220's knock elk down, rem coreloks had been my friends goto bullet for years but he felt he was over the top of performance with them and we also have them browns around here and he wanted something that could hit hard and go deep. another bullet that might make a brownie flinch is a beartooth HC. danny