Storing reloading dies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Storing reloading dies

Post by wm »

Quick question......how do you prepare reloading dies for long term storage? I've always sprayed them down liberally with WD-40, place them in storage dripping wet.

A guy at the range insists WD-40 CAUSES rust......obviously I don't believe him and I have not had an experience to make me think so but it got me wondering how others with large collections of dies store them.

Wm
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Storing reloading dies

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are much better rust preventative lubes out there than WD40. Any of the gun oils will do a good job of keeping them alive.

Oh, by the way, one of the old timers over on Benchrest Central was one of the engineers that invented WD40. He said it is almost pure Kerosine. Note,he said almost. I had several cans and used most of it up getting my wood stove started.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

WD 40 is only a water displacer.

On dies I seldom use, I spray them with Rem-Oil. Never had any issues after many years.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just spray 'em with the same lube you use for lubin' cases... I then place them back in the cases they came in... and put 'em up in the bench drawer. Even in the heat & humidity of north Texas I haven't encountered a problem.

My oldest set of .45 Colt dies were regular RCBS, non-carbide dies... when I got my Dillon, I ordered their carbide sizer die; and, the regular sizer die got put away in storage. It's still fine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I wipe them down with whatever oil I have handy. Gun oil, motor oil, etc. Any oil should protect them. I'm also not a fan of WD40 for rust prevention.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have good luck with Ballistol. I store them in my humid basement. Never an issue. I also store my primers in the basement and have not noticed any degradation. I thought my primers would be toast after the humidity of many past summers. No issues. I find that a little surprising. 1886.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

All my die sets are in four hole Lee turrets.

I take two PET bottles.

With the first bottle:

1. Cut it off three inches from the base

2. Spray the die set with Lanosil

3. Sit the die set in the base of the bottle

With the second bottle:

1. Cut it off six inches from the base

2. Slide the cut off section over the die set and into the first base

I use clear PET bottles, line the die sets up on a shelf, no labelling, no rust.

Cheers Mark