Mikhail Kalashnikov RIP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Mikhail Kalashnikov RIP

Post by wm »

Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the world’s most popular gun, the AK-47, died Monday at age 94. Kalashnikov was a Soviet Union weapons designer when his creation, the Avtomat Kalashnikov went into production in 1947. It has since become the most popular firearm in the world, with an estimated 100 million spread across the globe, and is the weapon of choice for many soldiers, guerrillas and terrorists. Kalashnikov, who’d been hospitalized in Russia’s Udmurtia republic when he died of unspecified causes, had often commented on how unconcerned he was about the bloodshed his invention had caused. “I sleep well,” he said in 2007. It’s the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence

The above is taken from Associated Press article
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mikhail Kalashnikov RIP

Post by wecsoger »

While I won't claim that he came up with the design without relying on others, he did truly change the world.

It is an amazing design, a very few sophisticated parts that any illiterate peasant can bend and rivet together.

Or in my case, a transplanted eastern KY redneck in his garage. Build several out of kits, bent my own flats, fired them all and I still have all ten fingers.

Heckuva legacy.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Here's more...

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

I read somewhere that he was a tank mechanic.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

He built a hell for stout, reliable and useful rifle. He will go down in the history books as having a big influence on 20th Century weapons design. I wish his family well as the adjust to life without him.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

wm wrote:Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the world’s most popular gun, the AK-47, died Monday at age 94. Kalashnikov was a Soviet Union weapons designer when his creation, the Avtomat Kalashnikov went into production in 1947. It has since become the most popular firearm in the world, with an estimated 100 million spread across the globe, and is the weapon of choice for many soldiers, guerrillas and terrorists. Kalashnikov, who’d been hospitalized in Russia’s Udmurtia republic when he died of unspecified causes, had often commented on how unconcerned he was about the bloodshed his invention had caused. “I sleep well,” he said in 2007. It’s the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence

The above is taken from Associated Press article
An immortal with a firm grasp on reality. I find that to be unusual.

But then, he's Russian...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I can remember when we trained using targets that looked like big ugly Russian gorillas with a bright red star on their helmet. They carried AK-47s too.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They had some German assistance from captured StG44's, but the Germans didn't come up with the idea either. The Russians had the Fedorov in 1918. 6.5mm Arisaka, 25 round magazine, selective-fire and straight-line stock design. Over 2,000 made, used in the end of WW1 and the Russian civil war.

The idea of an assault rifle has been around since 1917, due to budgets, economy and simple lack of interest by governments, it didn't catch on for a while.

People forget that along with the AK-47, he designed all the ones coming after (AKM, AK-74, AKSU, PK machine gun series and others) all of which also did very well. He was working pretty much till he died, and a LOT of other designs came out of his design group under his influence, like the Bizon submachine gun (an AKSU in 7.62X25mm or 9mm Makarov with a 64-round helical magazine) and many more ideas that didn't pan out.

I hate communists, but he loved his country and did what they asked him to do. Can't fault him.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

there were many good interviews with him on various shows on Military channel over the years.
he actually submitted the first AK design in 1943, ahead of the German Stg44, but the Russians ignored his design until 1947.

he built a rifle you can drag through the mud or dig out of the sand and still count on it to operate - the most idiot-proof weapon ever produced, and the most-produced weapon on the planet
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mr. Murphy,
I really like your last sentence.

I think what cannot be overlooked is that it was a rifle designed by a soldier for soldiers.
To me, it's foolish to talk about it's shortcomings, the production numbers and service life are all the argument that's needed.
A truly incredible machine.

R.I.P. Mr. Kalashnikov
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

His design was in line with Soviet/Russian tactics and thinking.

Ironically his AK-46 prototype was more in line with Western thinking (thumb actuated safety, left side charging handle).
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't have trouble running one as I have long fingers and can use the selector with my trigger finger as long as the standard grip is on the rifle. The sight radius is the most limiting factor for me, but not for in close.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It works no matter what the situation. What more can you ask of a semi short range rattle battle rifle? It is accurate enough for modern battle, it is reliable, it is cheap to build, it doesn't break down.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost