Deer season is over for me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Deer season is over for me

Post by Dave »

The season is over and it went well. The weather was crazy at times, but when it was over I had the number of deer I need for the year. My deep freeze gave up the ghost right before the season so I lost my remaining meat from last year. That kind of put the fear of God into me and I broke out the bolt action 243 so I could shoot farther than I can with my 30-30 and 2.5 power scope. I did use the 30-30 after I had a couple deer in the bag, but looking back I could have made every shot I took with the 30-30 except one. I feel kind of funny not using the lever full time this year and consider the bolt gun to be almost not sporting. I guess it just goes to show how capable the lever really is and how an empty freezer can panic you :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Deer season is over for me

Post by Griff »

Hey! This post requires pictures... otherwise it didn't happen! One of the forums Rules... right?

Regardless, congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Griff wrote:Hey! This post requires pictures... otherwise it didn't happen! One of the forums Rules... right?

Regardless, congrats!
I didn't take any pics this year. Just imagine five 135 lbs does ground into burger and 10 backstraps wrapped up in a brand new freezer and you will have a good idea what my situation is now. I did see three good shooter bucks including an elk like 11 pointer this year. I almost got a pic of him. He was only about 35 yards away. Right as I was about to push the button he stepped out of the pic and then he was too far away. He was a big deer and his horns were way wider than his rump when he was leaving. My buddy is kind enough to let me bag as many management does as I need so I don't shoot his bucks.

Here are a couple pics from the past

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad the new freezer is full. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That track looks suspiciously like a bear...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It does look like a bear track, are you in east Tenn.?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

JerryB wrote:It does look like a bear track, are you in east Tenn.?
That bear is in Arkansas.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

rjohns94 wrote:Glad the new freezer is full. Blessings
My thought exactly...glad you have the freezer filled...no big deal about the bolt-gun, sometimes a man got to do what he needs to do... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well how about that, must be one of my neighbors. We have some bears here in my county but Stone county where we go to church has more than enough to go around. They eat the dog food off porches up there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I am in the wrong dang state for deer hunting..... :( Blacktail bucks are ghosts, and doe tags nearly non-existant....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

JerryB wrote:Well how about that, must be one of my neighbors. We have some bears here in my county but Stone county where we go to church has more than enough to go around. They eat the dog food off porches up there.
We are by the Mississippi River so you are east of us by a ways. There used to be few bears but now there are a lot more. They are expanding their range and moving into MS too. They can swim the River no problem.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

BlaineG wrote:I am in the wrong dang state for deer hunting..... :( Blacktail bucks are ghosts, and doe tags nearly non-existant....
That is rough. In my unit of TN you can kill 3 antlerless deer a DAY during most of regular gun. Our season is long. You can take does during archery and muzzleloader too. At my buddy's place sometimes they don't make their doe quota because everybody just wants horns. There are a lot of deer in my area.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dave wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I am in the wrong dang state for deer hunting..... :( Blacktail bucks are ghosts, and doe tags nearly non-existant....
That is rough. In my unit of TN you can kill 3 antlerless deer a DAY during most of regular gun. Our season is long. You can take does during archery and muzzleloader too. At my buddy's place sometimes they don't make their doe quota because everybody just wants horns. There are a lot of deer in my area.
I've heard Alabama is like that, as well as other eastern states.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'm in NW TN (Gibson Co) and yep we've got a lot deer. Haven't seen any bear or turkey sign in our little woods lot that we hunt though.

Good job on filling the freezer
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

44-40 Willy, my preacher is from the Deyersberg area, around Bagota.