Steel shot waterfowl hunt question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Steel shot waterfowl hunt question

Post by dkmlever »

Guys, I have an opportunity to go goose hunting soon and need some advice.
I only own one 12 gauge shotgun - an Ithaca Mod 37 pump, 28 inch plain modified choke barrel made in 1956.
Can I use steel shot in this shotgun safely? I bought this gun used when I turned 16 which was 44 years ago, would hate to ruin it. I don't think I would shoot more than 10-15 rounds but really don't know anything about steel shot and its effects on a shotgun barrel.
Thanks!
BrentD

Re: Steel shot waterfowl hunt question

Post by BrentD »

Because it has a modified choke it would probably be okay. I shot it through my 870 mod choke gun.

However, as little as you are going to shoot, why not spend the bucks on some of the more expensive but gentler alternatives? I have bismuth shot that I load for my doubles. I don't know if you can still buy bismuth loaded shells, but if so, it would be a great alternative.
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

Guns for steel shot generally have chrome lined bores, which I think is to prevent erosion of the steel barrel. If I were you, I'd try to borrow something more modern, though Brent gave good advice on using bismuth shot. As I recall, it is very expensive off the shelf, though.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

It would be fine, but if it were me I would go with the advice of buying a box or two of the alternative shells like bismuth or Hevi-Shot loads.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When steel shot was first mandated & used, unchromed barrels got heavily-scored @ the chokes; but AFAIK, modern steel loads have a fairly heavy shotcup, to help (but not prevent) alleviate the issue.

I wouldn't put steel through my M37 - if it gets scored, all I'll get for my trouble is "Sorry about that" from whomever.

Bismuth, etc - +3

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My advice would be no. Even Modified choke might be a bit constrictive given the fact you will be shooting geese and using large size shot.
Hevi-shot not an option either, unless using their "classic doubles" line which is slow worthless ammo

Rio makes bismuth loads, RST loads Nice shot (tungsten matrix) but bit on slow side too for me.

Kent Tungsten Matrix is your best bet. Hammers birds same as lead, easy on your shotgun too. Bit expensive, but you are not going to shoot 100 rounds either.

Go with the Kent TM.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The risk with steel shot is not just scoring of the barrel but also peening of the choke. I have an O/U with visible bulging of both chokes which caused it to sell at a very attractive price. The dealer let me take the gun to the local range to test fire it and to check the patters with my usual lead shot load. I discovered that despite the obvious bulging that it actually patterned above the standard densities for those choke designations.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Modern barrels are not chrome lined for steel shot, it's all about alloy and hardness.

You older gun and modified choke would do just fine with duck loads, and I think the shot cups would protect you barrel even with the larger shot needed for geese. Your real problem is finding 2 3/4 shells that will take down geese even over decoys.

Marlin32 is dead on the money. Kent Tungsten Matrix are the best performing shells you're likely to find for your gun and shooting situation. And you'll fire less if they work better helping hold the cost down.

My first goose hunt I too used a 2 3/4" gun and the Peters with #4 lead did just fine. The Kent will do the same.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, steel shot is fine in that gun. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Larkbill wrote:
Modern barrels are not chrome lined for steel shot, it's all about alloy and hardness.

With all due respect, my 2 year old Franchi AL-48 has a chromed bore, as do some Beretta's and, I suspect, quite a few other modern makes, also.

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Not sure the vintage of your 37. I had one years ago and it was steel shot approved because Ithaca was using Roto forged barrels. My barrel was labeled as such near the breech I think. If you have a Roto Forged barrel I doubt you would hurt it and if you really get bit by the waterfowl bug you can buy a shotgun for the long haul. Or look for a Imp Cylinder barrel used for the 37.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"AL-48 has a chromed bore, as do some Beretta's"

You answered your own question. It's a european thing and has nothing to do with steel shot. In fact the chrome plate has been an issue with a couple models when used with steel, but that was before the shot cups were improved.

My county was part of the steel shot experiment in the late 70's here in Mo. We went back to lead for a couple seasons, then the whole state went steel in the 80's. Those first steel shells were horrible. We've come a long way, to the point that you can now buy steel that performs very close to the exotic and pricey alternates.

My Citori Satin Hunter, Citori Lightning, Winchester Super-X2, and Glenfield 778 are all steel rated and no plated bores.