Stevens model 520 shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Stevens model 520 shotgun

Post by iceman »

I have a chance on a late model Stevens 520 16 ga shotgun (tang safety). As you fellows probably know, a John Moses Browning design yet not well known shotgun. Metal shows signs of wear but no pits that I can see in the pics. He is asking $275 plus shipping (probably $25 to my door) I have told him I am interested but need a better price, I am waiting on his response now. Anyone have any experience with these old gems?
I have a Remington model 11 in 16 ga, but I have found that I am more of a pump guy and really like the old designs.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Stevens model 520 shotgun

Post by iceman »

He has just said he would ship to me at $275. I'm very tempted and doing some more investigating. One on gun broker asking $269 us so pretty close. From what I have found so far they are pretty solid, as were most of that time frame. I'll keep on digging.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Hi,
I have one here from about 1908.. Seems like a good rig.. It's been reblued, looks nice..
Mine's a 12 ga.. If nice condition, price seems reasonable with included shipping....
BTW, MidwayUSA has firing pins...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/433742 ... ns-520-620

I bought a spare..

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Not sure about the 520 but I had a Stevens 620.
You could hold the trigger down and pump it, and she would go; no hammer block.
Fun if you like that stuff, dangerous if you don't.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

That deal fell through I offered $225 and he refused. All is well though I found an Ithaca model 37 featherlight 16 ga for $160 to my door. It had been put away in a case at some time had has some rust pits etc on the outside and missing the butt plate (I'll get a recoil pad anyway). I was looking for a winter project and at that price I think I did ok. I should get it next week. I'm going to try and reduce the pitts and cold blue and redo the wood. Should make a nice walking around shotgun.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You did really well - 16ga Model 37's are all the rage for New England birding, for those who prefer a repeater.