Aguila 22's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Aguila 22's

Post by chadbr »

Aguila has a lot of different 22's.

Anyone particularly happy or unhappy with a type they've bought? I was wanting to get 5K or so -- looking to shoot from 9422 and Ruger Single Six.

Any feedback appreciated.

Chad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been pleased with all the Ag. ammo I've tried. Relly like the SSS ( Sniper Sub Sonic) .22s . Quieter that std. 22 but hits like a brick. Knocked off a lot of rabbits with them through my Martini and 10/22.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've used the Aquila Pistol Match LR ammo in my three .22 handguns. It has produced very good accuracy in all of them.

No duds, no misfires either and it cycled the action of my ancient Ruger Standard Auto perfectly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I use the Colibri for stress relief. It uses priming compound only to propel a lighter than normal bullet. OK on starlings to 25 yds. At 25' across the shop it will hold 3/8"to 5/8"offhand. No noise in a rifle, very little in a pistol. A Fex Ex box about 3" thick stuffed with rags is my backstop. Dump the remains in the lead pot for recycling. Very relaxing and green too!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

The Aquila plant was originally built and operated in partnership with Remington. Its diversity of loads came after full Mexican ownership.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've shot several bricks of the Colibri and Super Colibri without any problems. The SSS gave no problems but would only stabilize when shot out of my Marlin 39M.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have a couple reviews of Aguila .22 ammo up o the Cabela's site.

I like it a lot... in all of their offerings.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

Some old timer target shooters turned me on to
Aguila Standard Velocity. Shoots like a dream.
I now order it by the case. Eley primers and nice price.

You won't find it locally probably. But the importer
can hook you up. It's worth the effort.

CENTURION ORDNANCE, INC.
11614 Rainbow Ridge
Helotes, Texas 78023

Phone: (210) 695-4602
FAX: (210) 695-4603
E-Mail: info@aguilaammo.com
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

I shoot quite a bit of it.

SSS 60 gr
Match 40gr
Colibri
Super Colibri

and my favorite right now is the new Interceptor @ 1470fps for a 40 gr solid.

I've gotten 1425 from a 16 inch barrel and 1507 from a 22 inch barrel. My 10/22 clocks it at 1428. The bolt action all shoot inside an inch at 25 yrds and one about a dime size groups. The 10/22 opened up to about 1.5 to 2 inches, so I'm working on that. Put a new heavy bolt in and floated the barrel. Next I'll re-bed the action. It may not do any better out of that gun, but it's my favorite rifle and I really want that kind of performance from the ammo if I can get it to work.

Papa
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

When I was attempting :wink: bullseye shooting I used their Pistol Match ammo. It was the best rimfire handgun ammo I have ever used.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

2ndovc wrote:I've been pleased with all the Ag. ammo I've tried. Relly like the SSS ( Sniper Sub Sonic) .22s . Quieter that std. 22 but hits like a brick. Knocked off a lot of rabbits with them through my Martini and 10/22.

8)
+1 :D !The ballistics out a rifle barrel are impressive.Needs a fast twist barrel.A friend of mine shot some through his 22lr conversion upper on a Fast twist AR.Result was sub MOA at 100 yards.The SSS was original developed for Mexico city animal control.Low noise head shots on deer in the trash landfills.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny you should ask, I just shot up two boxes of the subsonic. I really liked it. I can't claim sub moa results, but the 100 yard swinger was plastered with hits.

Other brands were jamming in my chamber, and this did it much less, and was easy to remove.

Strange smell, a chemical smell, not cordite or sulfur.

I'm going to use it for a while, my .22 is used only for silhouette, usually in windy conditions. I was hoping for more stability. Someone was telling me that the slower velocity will mean more drift, not less, but I'm not convinced. Got to try it in a match and see.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Quietest stuff on the market is their colibri and super-colibri rounds. I have had no problems with any of their fodder - good stuff all! :D
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Well - it sounds like I need to get the variety pack!

Thanks everyone.

Chad
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The Aguila Subsonic SE shoots very well in most of my rimfires including my single six.

http://www.grovestreet.com/PicPage.do?id=1061572

I haven't has the same luck with the other varieties including the standard velocity and the SSS.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I started teaching my son to shoot in the backyard with a Davy Crickett rifle and the Super Colibri rounds. It is quieter than a cap gun and the backstop I used was a Gamo brand pellet trap designed for the faster pellets. It worked pretty good for us. My son is now 13 and we just loaned the rifle to a friend to teach his granddaughter with.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Their SSS rounds cycled my Mark II and 10/22 Rugers, but they really have a VERY unusual and strong odor!

I'll bet any actual 'snipers' using them would be hard to hear but easy to smell...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Bought 3 cases of their 22 Short's before the end of the year for $1.29 a box.
First of the year they jumped to $2.20.
Haven't had a bad primer yet and the shoot where my Single Six and 9422 are pointed. Haven't had them on paper yet, but they weren't meant for target matches. :D

Also bought some Pistol Match hoping they would function in my Kimber conversion, but the only shells that thing is 100% with is Federal Auto Match. Oh well, I have a few of those too. :)

Byron
LtDave928
Levergunner

Post by LtDave928 »

I've had excellent results with Aguila Super Extra HV in several rifles.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

Aguilla has the highest velocity 22 Long Rifle option currently on the market
and it really makes a difference if you hit what you are shooting at.
I have a Marlin, Savage, and 10/22 and do a lot of bench rest
shooting and in all three guns, the groups were 6 inchs larger than
other hi vel 22 ammo. ie. 10 group with 10/22 and about 6 -8
inch groups with my bolt actions. SO, be prepared to loose accuracy
if you want to hit harder. Probably ok for fox rabbit at 30 or 40 yards
but cant hit squirrels and birds at 80 yards plus with em.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

piller wrote:I started teaching my son to shoot in the backyard with a Davy Crickett rifle and the Super Colibri rounds. It is quieter than a cap gun and the backstop I used was a Gamo brand pellet trap designed for the faster pellets. It worked pretty good for us. My son is now 13 and we just loaned the rifle to a friend to teach his granddaughter with.
I thought the Super Colibris would be great around the house, but after the first shot stuck a bullet in my Anschutz barrel, I gave the rest away!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They really aren't designed for long, tight barrels.

I can shoot them all day long in my Ruger 96/22, but about 1 in 10 will stick in my 513T.

Not that that's a big deal. Pull the bolt and drop a rod down the brrel and the little pill pops right out.

I doubt that you could ring the barrel with them even if you did happen to shoot two... just make sure the bore is clear before loading up anything else. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

I like their SE EXTRA subsonic. It's in a purple and yellow brick. I shoot squirrels and rabbits with good results. They have a super sniper 60gr. that needs a quick twist barrel to group good, but it is death at short range from a handgun.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Old Ironsights wrote:They really aren't designed for long, tight barrels.

I can shoot them all day long in my Ruger 96/22, but about 1 in 10 will stick in my 513T.

Not that that's a big deal. Pull the bolt and drop a rod down the brrel and the little pill pops right out.

I doubt that you could ring the barrel with them even if you did happen to shoot two... just make sure the bore is clear before loading up anything else. :wink:
+1 on the Super Colibris :cry: !in long barrels.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."