browning b92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

browning b92

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: browning b92

Post by vancelw »

Great rifles. $875 seems a little high. I would think $600-$700 would be more like it for a .44 mag
The .357s bring more money because there are fewer of them

I have one in .44 mag and love it. Very well made and no lawyer safety.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

plowboy 45,

I have one, in .44 Magnum. About 10 years ago, I paid $395.00 for it, from a pawnshop. The outside was a little dinged up, but the inside is spotless. The rifle was probably carried a lot, but shot very little. It took me several months to get used to the furniture-grade, polyurethane finish on the seasoned, French walnut stocks. Even though it is a well-made gun, it was quite stiff. I did, basically, what most people do their Rossi 92s. Now, it is much more pleasent to use. If you want the "Browning B-92 Field Service Manual", then you can download it by clicking this link:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/browning_b92.pdf

If that will not work for you, then go to this page, and search for it:

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Here is my B-92, with a Rossi 92 large loop lever:

...and here it is, with my other leverguns (Henry; Browning; Rossi; Winchester):

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've got one I paid about 350.00 for maybe 12-15 yrs. ago. It's not pretty and has seen some country. It has a 66 Lyman on it and is a fantastic shooter. I got one for a friend once that looked the same way and it too was very accurate. I have no doubt the one in question will be also but it does seem a little steep. There again, I don't see many around these days.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

My friend has had one for many years and it is his son's first pick for deer hunting. He loads cast bullets and took a lot of deer with it. He will never part with it. I don't think you can go wrong with the quality of the firearm. Price ? They tend to be costly where I am from and you don't see many for sale used. Do some searches on gun areas and price guides and look it over and make an informed judgment on your knowledge then ask yourself is it something I really want to play with. :lol: 44 mag is a fun and manageable caliber in that carbine and has a good reputation as a game getter. Good Luck !
Can't wait to hear your outcome. :)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A good friend of mine has one of these: beautiful rifle and a smooth action and good trigger. But it must have a very very slow twist: it will not stabilize the 240 grain factory bullet, while the 210 or 180 grainers seem to shoot fine.

Now I have not had this rifle in my hands other than to shoot a few of my friend's factory rounds and confirm that the thing absolutely sprays the 240 grain bullet -- sideways at 25 yards even. My friend just gets around this little irritation by sticking with the very light-for-caliber bullets.

I did a little internet searching at the time (couple of years ago) and found that there are some other folks who have found the same problem. I'm guessing Browning made some early rifles with too slow a twist and then corrected it before long because it is far from a universal problem.

So just a minor caution -- there may be some of these out there with some super slow twist (what would it be-- something like 48" or 60" to fail to stabilize a 240 grain semi-wadcutter?).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it's a good idea to check for a barrel bulge AND the twist rate.

do this by forcing a big wad of paper towels thru the bore. mark the dowell off in inches and record how far it rotates in one inch of travel, this will give you the twist rate.

feel for the wad resistance LOOSENING during its travel, this is a wide spot in the barrel.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

There is no better lever gun anywhere.

Winchester makes a short rifle 92 with crescent butt plate for MSRP of 1069.

Much prefer the Browning since it's made like the original Winchester 92s and that means without rebounding hammer and tang (lawyer) safety.

Therefore, if the Browning 92 is in good condition the 875 is probably close to current market price.

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is very accurate with Win 240 gr jacketed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow I never knew the twist rate thing. That is some really good info to have.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't think they ever changed the rifling twist rate, they used the industry standard 1-38 I believe, which virtually everyone used up to that point and for years afterwards. I don't recall people talking about much heavier bullets and different rifling twists in 44's back then (mid-late late 80's?). 1-38 was considered fine by everyone in the business at the time so far as I can tell, and had been used for 30 years.

I think some guns may not shoot certain bullets based more on bullet fit. Mine has a .431" groove diameter, which is on the wide side. Some bullets may be more in the .429", which leaves a bit of leeway, coupled with shallow rifling grooves.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

Old Savage wrote:Mine is very accurate with Win 240 gr jacketed.
I do not shoot mine often but I am pleased with the accuracy of 240gr bullets in mine as well
I am one gun away from happy
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Malamute wrote:I don't think they ever changed the rifling twist rate, they used the industry standard 1-38 I believe, which virtually everyone used up to that point and for years afterwards. I don't recall people talking about much heavier bullets and different rifling twists in 44's back then (mid-late late 80's?). 1-38 was considered fine by everyone in the business at the time so far as I can tell, and had been used for 30 years.

I think some guns may not shoot certain bullets based more on bullet fit. Mine has a .431" groove diameter, which is on the wide side. Some bullets may be more in the .429", which leaves a bit of leeway, coupled with shallow rifling grooves.
I've wondered about that, Malamute. I should borrow that rifle for a few days and see if further exploration turns up better info than "must have too slow a twist". I have some nice .432" 300 grainers I use in my Redhawk that would be great in the rifle if it would shoot them.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cloverleaf, iron sights at 50 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I have both the .357 and the .44 mags in the B92. IMHO they are the best made versions of the '92 ever made, including the originals. Both of mine are fitted out with steel base Lyman peep sights with Merit adjustable aperture disc and are very accurate with either hard cast or jacketed bullets. My .44 prefers a hard cast 225gr Keith style semi-wadcutter while the .357 likes 158gr JSP's the best.

I know the price seems high for a used gun, but if it's in at least decent shape, good bore and no external rust, I think I'd buy it. No more to be had and they're not gonna get any cheaper.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.