Sept. '57 Guns Magazine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Sept. '57 Guns Magazine

Post by chadbr »

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Interesting "pro-gun" article. They seemed pretty fed up with ATF. I love seeing some of the prices as well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for posting that. That just happens to be the month/year I was born! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for posting. That brought back memories. Back then when I was a ten year old, I spent my pocket money buying all the American Gun Magazines I could find.
Apparently they came over here with tons of other old magazines as ballast on ships. I not sure if thats correct or not but the Gun mags and Girlie mags were always for sale in news agents shops over here, even though they were a couple of years out of date. As a little kid I remember getting some strange looks as I sorted out the Gun mags from the Adult's only stuff!! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That brings back memories. I have a copy of that magazine as well as most other copies of Guns from 1955 to about 1960. They played an imortant part in my early firearms education. At that time, they were the only dedicated "guns" magazine sold on newstands. I could barely wait until the new issue showed up on the rack at Den-Russ Pharmacy in Brownsville, Texas.

1957 was the year I moved up from small bore (22 ) competition shooting to high power (30-06). 1958 was the first year, I could shoot against adults and was the first year I went to Camp Perry to shoot against the big boys. They beat me like a dumb!! I didn't even handload, as I had allthe ammo I wanted from DCM for a small price, others donated their excess ammo to "the kid" and I had friend in the National Guard who also donated ammo for my use.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pure gold for sure. Years ago I used to buy bundles of "American Rifleman" magazines from the early '60's at the flea market. There was always good reading in them.
Don't the ads make you sick 7mm rolling blocks for $13.95. Oh well I didn't have the money for them back then either. Seeing stuff like that being thrown over the side of a boat or into a blast furnace should have been a crime. They were destroying history.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

Using the Marlin 336 advertisement in the magazine as the standard
of comparison, I figure todays prices are approx ten times what
they were in 1957. Thusly the Colt 45 1911 pistol would be $440
todays equivalent brand new. I always suspected those pistols
are artificially price inflated compared to other pistols. I also
would have loved a few of the 7 in barrel German Lugers 9mm pistols.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I lusted over several of the guns too, including the Rolling Blocks. But I was poor back then and couldn't afford a nearly $70 Luger artillery model or the much cheaper Remington rifle.

The Colt Match Target Woodsman at $85 dollars was way out of my league. The several hundred dollars I paind recently for a used one was probably about the same actual value.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9