What's fair price for once fired brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

What's fair price for once fired brass?

Post by jdad »

I have two 5-gallon buckets about half full, of .223/.556 and 9mm once fired brass. I also have a couple of large coffee cans of once fired 45acp. What's a fair price per pound?

I would rather sell them to someone that could use them than take them to the recycling station.

Thanks
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: What's fair price for once fired brass?

Post by Griff »

Let me know. I could use it. I'd have to break out the calculator to come up with an offer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Prices vary depending upon location and caliber (e.g., .45's are more than 9mm), but $40-$50 per 1000 cases is a good estimate...sometimes more.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote:I have two 5-gallon buckets about half full, of .223/.556 and 9mm once fired brass. I also have a couple of large coffee cans of once fired 45acp. What's a fair price per pound?
I would rather sell them to someone that could use them than take them to the recycling station.
Thanks
The .223 brass can vary a lot by weight. but if you figure 65-70 case per pound, that should give you a estimate. 1,000 rounds of 45ACP will fit in one of the newer plastic 1lb coffee containers. But will be more than a 1lb!!! :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I paid $50/1000 for the last batch of once fired 45 acp I bought, and I think $70 for 1300 once fired .223/5.56.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Will recyclers take Brass cases ? The one I talked to won't.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pwl44m wrote:Will recyclers take Brass cases ? The one I talked to won't.
Perry

We have a recycler that will take fired brass, with the primers still in.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'll weigh it all then get back to you guys. Griff has already PM'd me with interest so I will let him first shot.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Approximate weights

223/556 - 28pounds

9mm - 26pounds

45acp - 15pounds

Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

pwl44m wrote:Will recyclers take Brass cases ? The one I talked to won't.
Perry
Reputable dealer will take it only if he can have it 'cooked'. Brass has to be heat treated to cook off anything live in it. Process adds substantially to ultimate resale price as brass scrap.

Notice, I said, "reputable"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

There's also a difference in price between "once-fired" brass and "range" brass.

Once-fired (to me) means that I know it's been fired once (by me or others known to me) and placed in a container.
Range brass (to me) means that it was picked up from the shooting range and you have no idea if it was loaded once at the factory or who reloaded it or who stepped on it.

I mention this because I bought brass advertised as "once-fired" one time and it was obviously "range brass: since the brass was scratched from being stepped on and there was sand in some of the cases.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The last brass that I purchased (2013) that was ONCE FIRED was $4 per hundred. That was at a local indoor range where many shooters do not reload and simply let the range master sweep up their brass. He was even nice enough to let me pick up the brass from the guy shooting next to me.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

vancelw wrote:There's also a difference in price between "once-fired" brass and "range" brass.

Once-fired (to me) means that I know it's been fired once (by me or others known to me) and placed in a container.
Range brass (to me) means that it was picked up from the shooting range and you have no idea if it was loaded once at the factory or who reloaded it or who stepped on it.

I mention this because I bought brass advertised as "once-fired" one time and it was obviously "range brass: since the brass was scratched from being stepped on and there was sand in some of the cases.

This is my "once fired" at the range, picked up at the range, after being fired from my firearms. :D