help with an 1873 disassembly & cleaning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner

help with an 1873 disassembly & cleaning

Post by shiloh505 »

Gentlemen, I just purchased an 1873 Winchester in .32-20 manufactured in 1891. It hasn't been apart in some time but does appear to function normally. I plan on firing cowboy loads in it so I'd like to have it professionally disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. Can you suggest someone to do that? I usually do my own disassembly and cleaning but I don't want to get in over my head with this so I'd like a pro to look at it. Thanks for all suggestions
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: help with an 1873 disassembly & cleaning

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The W1873 is a pretty simple design, and most likely you will have no trouble taking it down for a cleaning.

Here is a link showing the disassembly of an 1876, the big brother of the 1873.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... 987.0.html

Pretty much the same, and should get you off on the right path, as it shows, not only the disassembly, but the differences between the reproductions and the original arms. The big difference between your original and the reproductions is the originals have a one piece firing pin. Good news it that you generally don't need to remove the firing pin to clean the 1873.

Here is another link that shows the take down and reassembly of the 73 Uberti.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Again, most of it applies to the Winchester 1873. Once you get the side plates off and drop the links out, I think you will see how easy it is to clean up without a lot of disassembly.

If you still want someone else to do the work, it would help to know what part of the country you are in so we can make a recommendation.

GA
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Thanks for your help Grizzly.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The biggest problem I've run into with tearing down old 73s is the screws that hold the springs for the lifter and lever. The two screws that look down on either side at the front of the lever. Get the sideplates off and put some penetrating oil on them for a good soak then a correctly ground screwdriver will help a great deal.

Or just send it to NKJ.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Grizzly and M.M. thank you. Griz I'm in SW Ohio and M.M. I don't know what NKJ is?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

shiloh505 wrote:Grizzly and M.M. thank you. Griz I'm in SW Ohio and M.M. I don't know what NKJ is?
Nate Kiowa Jones, proprietor of Steve's Gunz
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!