Charter Arms BullDog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Charter Arms BullDog

Post by Catshooter »

Their cylinders are also quite strongly designed. The cylinder bolt cuts, which cause the typically thinnest part of a cylinder, are off to the side of each chamber. I wish Smith would have done that too, alas.

OH!! Be still my heart! Could their 45 ACP revolver not be just vaporware? Oh man, I so want one of those, I'll even do the beta-testing for them.

SJPrice,

Smith doesn't make anything anywhere near the size of the Charter. I wish they did! And size matters, as we all know.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wrote Charter and a nice person answered right away that the double action .40 is out now, the 9mm at the end of 2011, and the .45acp after that....so, It's going to be a bit. A .40 would not be a bad way to go....There is a Hornady round, I think, that is 200gr at about 1000fps...that would do nicely.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Hornady has a line of "Critical Defense" Ammo. check it out on their Web site. Made for short barrels, and max expansion, with a patented bullet design.

I was carrying Winchester Silver Tips in my Charter Pug/44. I now carry the Pug with a dose of Hornady CD's.
The load has a 165 gr.FTX bullet, Muzzel 1150 fps, 50 yards 1020 FPS, 100 yds. 935 FPS.

The Pug/44 is a very nice carry piece indeed.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the local funshop, where I bought the .44 Bulldog @ $275, also had a &W .44 Night Guard @ $900.

Desire aside, going on cost comparison - the BullDog wasn't a hard choice, at 1/3 the $$$$$.

Quality comparison aside, there was NO choice - a thousand bucks was contra-indicated by my retirement budget, period.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Oh yes, I forget about the price difference! :)

And Smith still won't make anything comparable in size. The 696 was nice, but much heavier than a Charter. The last 696 I saw was three or four years ago and it was $650. *sigh*

Cat
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

It's a shame that so many respected names are going the way of Schlitz beer.

How does .44 spec compare to .45 acp? I've always been a sucker for .45 wheel guns but thus far have been priced out of them.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If you buy a Charter, you must remember it will not hold up under constant use. It is a limited duty Firearm. I shoot mine on occasion. If I am at the Range I may send a couple of cylinders full down range at a 7 or 10 yard target. The piece I have is for protection and I treat it as such.
I was told when I bought the piece, 2000 rounds of full loads is the life expectancy of a Bull Dog.

If I wanted a heavy duty piece I would have bought a S & W. Or I would carry my Browning HP 40.
I feel more confortable carrying a Wheel gun as I shoot CAS/SASS and shoot Revolvers much more so than Pistols.

Also the Charter is affordable. If I must surrender my piece because, heaven forbid I use it of a Perp I will never see it again.

My thought is any thing over 40 caliber will get the job done. :wink:

When the 45 Charter is available I will own one. 8) I'll carry the 45 and the 44 will park on the nite-stand next to my bed and be a back-up.
SASS# 51223

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Lefty Dude, et al,

Please have a gander at what Mr. McPherson likes & does not like about Charter Arms Bulldogs:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

His family has owned several of them. If you want to know what they can do, then you jes gotta read the article at that link. :wink:

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...besides, the Bulldog if both famous & infamous:

Rep-detect cop Rick Deckard had one:

So did David Berkowitz:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:The Ruger 45/45acp convertable does not have a problem without 'clips.....
If Charter Arms are coming out with the .45acp revolver, I shall certainly wait for it. I find the 230gr hardball nearly perfect in every respect.

The Ruger Blackhawk works with out clips because it has an ejector mounted on the side of the barrel to PUSH them out from the front of the cylinder one by one.

A swing out or topbreak revolver requires some sort of extractor to PULL them out from the rear of the cylinder. Typically, the extractor pushes against the rim, or the clip for rimless cartridges.

Blaine, I also like 45ACP revolvers, and have a 1937 Brazilian Contract Smith. I think a swing out cylinder revolver in 45ACP that didn't need clips or Auto Rims would be great.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I just got off the phone with Charter Arms.

The 40 S&W will be shipped to distributors later this month. Followed by the 9MM on the 38 frame this Summer.
The 45ACP will be on the 44 frame, and will be delivered to distributors later this Year.
SASS# 51223

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hagler wrote:...Please have a gander at what Mr. McPherson likes & does not like about Charter Arms Bulldogs:
Shawn - excellent. A MUST READ. Thanks.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Hagler wrote:...Please have a gander at what Mr. McPherson likes & does not like about Charter Arms Bulldogs:...
Thanks Shawn,

I was just considering 200 gr bullets in the .44 and the info is welcome.

Jack
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Hagler wrote:...Please have a gander at what Mr. McPherson likes & does not like about Charter Arms Bulldogs:
Shawn - excellent. A MUST READ. Thanks.

Yes, thanks for the link.

I have found that 231 powder gives more muzzle flip than other powders. For the 200 gr. I use Alliant American Select, and for the 240 gr. I use Unique for my 44 Special loads.

Power Pistol is a powder I need to work with.

For practice in my Charter I use my CAS/SASS 44 special loads,. These loads I shoot in my Colt SAA 4 3/4" and they are a very accurate 44 special load.

I also load the same in 44 Colt Starline brass, they are a bit shorter than the 44 special. However, because the case rim is slightly smaller than the special rim they tend to dump out of the Bull-Dog cylinder quicker than a special.
SASS# 51223

Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I have owned several Bulldogs over the years and each has been accurate well beyond what anyone would expect, will shoot more rounds in its lifetime than most want to believe and will take a stiffer load than many care to admit.

I am not braggin' 'em up though!
They'er cheap junk!

And as long as people keep belieiving that, I will have a source of typically underpriced used revolvers in .38 and .44 Special. :wink:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That was an interesting link and worth reading, thanks.

I have a single cavity Lyman 429215 mould that I milled the gas check shank off of. It now gives me a 190 grain bullet. I did it just for using in the Bulldog which I didn't get until two years later! :) I'll have to give it a go.

Cat
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Blaine, I felt the same so I wound up going with the S&W nightguard in .44 sp. Comes with a 2 1/2 inch barrel, and night sights. I really like it. I changed out the grips with wood fingered and now its just right!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:Blaine, I felt the same so I wound up going with the S&W nightguard in .44 sp. Comes with a 2 1/2 inch barrel, and night sights. I really like it. I changed out the grips with wood fingered and now its just right!!!
I'll probably wait for the .45acp.....I'm already vested in .44mag, and I'd rather have the .452 than the .429 Short :lol: (actually, I don't load my .44 mags that hot....300s @ about 1100, and 240 plinkers @ about the same.)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

First, my apologies for replying to such an old thread - sorry :oops: .

Second, the reason why I replied to such an old thread:

I have spent more time indoors this past week than usual - taking a break out of the heat, and usually end up in front of the computer while I cool off for a few. Since I have another "new" .44 Special to feed (a like new '78 vintage Target Bulldog), I have been looking at .44 Special and Bulldog stuff. This is what led me back to this thread.

So, the reason for this late post is to just mention that of all the "information" out there on Chartere Arms, THIS is the most rational and informed thread that I found. I am no stranger to the thread, I posted in it myself, but what struck me about most of the other threads is that there are SO many would-be experts out there condeming Charter's revolvers out of hand and proclaiming how little they can be shot before falling apart or blowing up if used with anything beyond a box full of the sedate Remington 246 LRN loads in their lifetime. I literally cannot count how many rounds of .44 Specials I have sent through a handful of these revolvers over the years - some of which were stouter than I care to admit,... from my earlier days, of course.

So, I just wanted to say "thanks" to those on this forum, the forum, and those who own and run it.

Just remember - objective comments, or worse yet, actual praise for the Bulldogs will not help to keep the prices unnaturally low. Take that for what it's worth, but I have made some great deals on Charter revolvers just because prejudices have prevented others from snapping them up first. :wink:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I agree. Hands down the best Charter thread I've ever read on any forum.

Cat
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I have had a Charter Arms Bulldog since the late 1970's. I had the 3" barrel replaced with a 4" and added adjustable sights.
I must confess that I have not shot it much in the last 10 years or so having focused on my leverguns instead.

For those of you that have a 44 Bulldog, Mic McPherson has done an extended amount of testing and load development for the Bulldog.
Thank you Mic! :D

w30wcf
Last edited by w30wcf on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for the link John.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Lefty Dude wrote:I just got off the phone with Charter Arms.

The 40 S&W will be shipped to distributors later this month. Followed by the 9MM on the 38 frame this Summer.
The 45ACP will be on the 44 frame, and will be delivered to distributors later this Year.
Now, if they make a "Southpaw" model I'll be the first one in line. I've already got one of the little .38 spl Southpaws. Getting one in .45 acp would be cool. 8)
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Nixterdemus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nixterdemus »

I seem to recall Hobie also wanting the 45 acp. Now that the 9mm debuted, last fall followed the 40, how much longer will it be?

I nevah thought I'd see the day.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great info Joe. Thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Thought I'd revive this ancient thread to say I'd sure like to see the 45 ACP in a Charter out. We're a bit past the last due date.

Cat
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys at the club got them. Refined weapon ? No
However all have said they always fire and for value and service cannot be beat.
Extremely fine CCW. A big .44 slug :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Thought I'd revive this ancient thread to say I'd sure like to see the 45 ACP in a Charter out. We're a bit past the last due date.

Cat
Amen,Amen,Amen.....I emailed them last week....no response....Getting tired of waiting, I think I'll go with the 625, even tho I could prolly get two Bulldogs for the price of one new 625....A JM model, I think they call them now

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Bullard4075 wrote:I've had one for years.
What Doc said ++++++
Charter 2000/44 SPL
What has everyone been using for a holster. IWB is my first choice and my Galco IWB is not near as smooth ( the fixed rear sight hangs up on the stitching on withdrawal) as I want. An OWB would work also. A Milt Sparks (like my 1911 holster) would be perfect but I am not crazy about the 6 month wait and $250 price.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Blaine,

The 625s are great guns. Very sweet.

Not packable for me. So they're not in the same class as a Charter.

I wish Smith would have made the Charters. What a sweet firearm that'd be. But the Charter's work well and they are strong. I've fired the old Keith 2400 load from mine in days gone by. Somewhat brisk recoil. :)

Cat
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Catshooter wrote:
So we should stay away from the ones stamped "Charco" and "Charter2000"?

Cat
There's nothing wrong with one marked "Charter 2000", IMHO.

This is mine, so marked & also made in Y2K - with which I've had zero issues:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bullard4075 wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:I've had one for years.
What Doc said ++++++
Charter 2000/44 SPL
What has everyone been using for a holster. IWB is my first choice and my Galco IWB is not near as smooth ( the fixed rear sight hangs up on the stitching on withdrawal) as I want. An OWB would work also. A Milt Sparks (like my 1911 holster) would be perfect but I am not crazy about the 6 month wait and $250 price.
Bianchi textured nylon-looking 'Size 1' - don't remember the name, but it is perfect:
ImageImage
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Blaine,

The 625s are great guns. Very sweet.

Not packable for me. So they're not in the same class as a Charter.

I wish Smith would have made the Charters. What a sweet firearm that'd be. But the Charter's work well and they are strong. I've fired the old Keith 2400 load from mine in days gone by. Somewhat brisk recoil. :)

Cat
I prolly wouldn't pack a 625, or a Charter around town. I have an LCP, and a AirWeight for that....I noticed that Charter has a little, tiny AirWeight-sized piece....it looks good.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Pete,

That is great that you've had no issues with yours. If you read the thread though when that pistol was made was not a good time for the company and many suffered problems with their products.

Blaine,

Charter does indeed have some small and lightweight guns.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lefty Dude wrote:I just got off the phone with Charter Arms.

Be still my heart 8) I think it's been about five years since they announced that shooter....I will wait for them.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm late in replying, sorry. I picked up a well used Charter Arms from 1980. I sent it back to the new Charter Arms. For $49 they put a new hammer, trigger, springs, crane, release latch and throated cylinders. I put 500 rounds of Grizzly Cartridge ammo through it (heavy stuff) and it was accurate, reliable and functioned flawlessly. I'd get one regardless of condition if the price was right and send it in with the $49 like last time. I'm sure it'll come back good as new.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I've heard the modern ones can be a bt iffy, but that's specifically pertaining to the .40 and 9mm lines.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

86er,

Your experience mirrors mine exactly.

I found one at a gun show that was rough and missing some parts. Sent it in to the mother ship and for $49 they replaced a couple of internal small parts and a new cylinder. It shoots great. There customer service is excellent.

Cat