Watching High Chaparral reruns......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Watching High Chaparral reruns......

Post by jkbrea »

In the opening scene a bunch of cowhands are trying to ride a bronc. In the scene, clear as day, for a couple seconds, is a blue pickup with a white shell and a sedan parked next to it. They are next to a building/house about 100 yards from the scene. Got a good laugh from that. A little more obvious than the wrong guns for the time period in most westerns.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Watching High Chaparral reruns......

Post by Streetstar »

I assume this is a period western, and not a "modern" western ? (No Country for Old Men being like a modern western)
----- Doug
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Streetstar wrote:I assume this is a period western, and not a "modern" western ? (No Country for Old Men being like a modern western)
Yeah. It ran about the time Bonanza and Gunsmoke were on the air. Set in late 1800's Tuscon. Not complaining, just kinda funny.
I was also watching Open Range last week and in the big shootout at the end, Costner's character starts shooting his sixgun and fires nine rounds fanning it after already firing a couple rounds. :? Still liked that movie.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The editors of many films do not seem to be able to count. I am sure that he did not shoot 9 from a SAA for real now did he. Not many people even catch those little mistakes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote:In the opening scene a bunch of cowhands are trying to ride a bronc. In the scene, clear as day, for a couple seconds, is a blue pickup with a white shell and a sedan parked next to it. They are next to a building/house about 100 yards from the scene. Got a good laugh from that. A little more obvious than the wrong guns for the time period in most westerns.
I'd love to see that. Post a 'link' if it applies. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

jkbrea,

I caught the tailend of a "Daniel Boone" episode, with Jimmy Dean in it. It was a color episode, and Jimmy was walking away from the camera. The sky was beautiful, with lots of clear blue yonder & some puffy white clouds....and a nice long, white condensation trail, too. I guess that all of these things are so commonplace that we don't notice when they are out of place.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

That was a strange series, the finale was really random and confusing. Johnny Ringo was another one, where Case, the storekeeper, was killed in one episode, then alive the next.

You can spot lots of mistakes in the older TV shows. A few episodes of "Combat" showed 1960's cars driving on a busy highway, in the middle of WW2 France. Another episode showed a jet liner flying in the background!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I used to love watching The High Chaparral when I was a kid! Big John Cannon, Buck, Blue and Monaletto, I almost think I liked it better than Gunsmoke; another good one that I enjoyed was Streets of Laredo.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote:
jkbrea wrote:In the opening scene a bunch of cowhands are trying to ride a bronc. In the scene, clear as day, for a couple seconds, is a blue pickup with a white shell and a sedan parked next to it. They are next to a building/house about 100 yards from the scene. Got a good laugh from that. A little more obvious than the wrong guns for the time period in most westerns.
Sorry Doc. I had it recorded on INSP channel, (whatever that is), and was going to take a picture and post it.......but I already deleted it :oops: . I do remember the episode was called "Wind".
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I used to love watching The High Chaparral when I was a kid! Big John Cannon, Buck, Blue and Monaletto, I almost think I liked it better than Gunsmoke; another good one that I enjoyed was Streets of Laredo.
Two words: LINDA CRISTAL! :D
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I'm with BruceB on this series. She's one of the characters that are still alive too.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 on Linda! I remember being rankled that Big John didnt appreciate her more - thinking "...idiot" :) If in the area, go over to Old Tucson and the Sonoran Desert Museum, especially taking the Speedway route out of Tucson up over the mountains, over on the flip side of the Tucson Mountains and you see that grand vista looking southwest out over the Saguaro Nat'l Monument toward Kitt Peak (of observatory fame) that's in virtually every episode...and a ton of other westerns...including a lot of Gunsmoke....saguaros in Kansas?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The editors of many films do not seem to be able to count. I am sure that he did not shoot 9 from a SAA for real now did he. Not many people even catch those little mistakes.
I think the problem with that scene, which I've seen mentioned several times as one of those "sixguns that shoots 12 times mistakes" isn't that he shot that many rounds from one gun. He didn't. What they edited out or simply didn't show was transitioning to the second gun. He's clearly shown checking both guns before the fight. It didn't bother me in the least, and the first time I saw it I expected many to miss the fact that he had two guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

gak wrote:+1 on Linda! I remember being rankled that Big John didnt appreciate her more - thinking "...idiot" :) If in the area, go over to Old Tucson and the Sonoran Desert Museum, especially taking the Speedway route out of Tucson up over the mountains, over on the flip side of the Tucson Mountains and you see that grand vista looking southwest out over the Saguaro Nat'l Monument toward Kitt Peak (of observatory fame) that's in virtually every episode...and a ton of other westerns...including a lot of Gunsmoke....saguaros in Kansas?
Old Tucson and The Sonoran Desert Museum are two of my favorite memories of my vacation in Arizona... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hog ... 013BCCE935

Doc. I hope this works. It's at 00:38. Shows up briefly in upper left corner. :lol:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...here is another anachronistic anomoly:

A telephone pole:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I remember in the first Lord of the Rings movies, while overall they did very well at keeping out anachronisms and continuity mistakes, that in the first showing there was a car driving by in the deep background as the hobbits were walking across "Middle Earth". They caught it and fixed it, but the first few days it showed, they didn't...
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Hagler wrote:...here is another anachronistic anomoly:

A telephone pole:

Shawn
But a telegraph pole would not be out of place.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had to watch that every week. Hey back then we only had one TV. My baby sis had a crush on Blueboy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Foreman, Sam, walked like he had a bad case of jock itch. I liked that series as a kid. Linda Cristal was also in a Charles Bronson movie. I think it was Mr. Majestyk. My favorite episode of the High Chaparral was the one where that former French Resistance fighter who played Lebeau on Hogan's Heroes was a storekeeper and he had a man working for him who knew Savate. Buck got his tail kicked two times before Manolito helped him understand how to handle the other guy's tactics. In the end, Buck won.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BruceB wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:I used to love watching The High Chaparral when I was a kid! Big John Cannon, Buck, Blue and Monaletto, I almost think I liked it better than Gunsmoke; another good one that I enjoyed was Streets of Laredo.
Two words: LINDA CRISTAL! :D
She was a looker wasn't she!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”