Picked up a nice historical token, Daltons Coffeeville raid.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Picked up a nice historical token, Daltons Coffeeville raid.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a trade token from Read Brothers Mercantile Store dating from 1892.

Here is the story, I hope you like it:

Lucius M. Baldwin

His name was Lucius Matlock Baldwin, and he was born February 24, 1869 in Burlington, Kansas to David Sumpton, and Malinda Catherine (Marsters) Baldwin. He had a sister, Sadie Lavina (Baldwin) Chochran. His father had entered into the Methodist ministry when Lucius was three years old, and Lucius lived in Methodist parsonages for the next seventeen years, including Centropolis, Pomona, Malvern, Neodesha, Coffeyville, Fredonia, Americus, Grenola, Ottawa and Blue Mound, in that order, and all in Kansas.

He attended Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas, for one year, when he was sixteen years old. His father died while living in Burlington, and that is where the rest of the family decided to make permanent home.

Somewhere around 1891 Lucius took a job with Read Brothers general store in Coffeyville, Kansas. The Read and Baldwin families had become close when the Baldwin?s lived there,. He lived with his employers, and soon became head clerk.

By all accounts, he was a likeable and responsible young man, showing great promise. He was a regular member of the church his father had ministered, He was active in Sunday school, Epworth league ( a Methodist Youth Association), and the church choir. He was a good young man, never using liquor, tobacco or profanity.

October 5, 1892 Lucius was working at Read Brothers when the alarm went out that there was a bank robbery. Against the warning of Haz Read, he crossed Walnut and Union streets, to Isham?s hardware store where he armed himself with a short barreled , double action Colt revolver. Hurrying out the back door of Isham?s, with the revolver held pointed downward, by his side, he met three men approaching from the back of the first National Bank. He recognized bank cashier W.H. Shepard, and assumed he was meeting with fellow defenders. He ignored, or didn?t hear several repeated commands to stop from the two men with Shepard, who were Bob and Emmett Dalton, and certainly not fellow defenders. Lucius continued walking toward the men until he was about fifty feet away, when Bob said ? I have to get that man?, raised his rifle, and sent a rifle bullet into the young mans chest, and through his body. He was carried into Isham?s, to join two other wounded men.

He lived until the following day. He had outlived his killer by one day.

"That'll Be The Day"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up a nice historical token, Daltons Coffeeville r

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My in-laws live in Coffeyville. Each year the town has a Dalton Defenders Re-enactment, they also have a Dalton Defenders Museum. It is small but still has several interesting artifacts on display. There is also a Will Rogers museum in Claremore that isn't far away.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Interesting, thanks again rr7 :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I do enjoy your historical finds, RR7. Thanks!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for sharing that RR7. A bit of the history I'd not read or heard before.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

horsesoldier03' thanks for the information. I will check it out next time I go to Kansas. I have been to Dodge City but was not to impressed. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

As usual, you find some very interesting and historical stuff. Thanks for sharing. 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You find the most interesting stuff RR7! 8) :D :mrgreen:
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I went to the museum about 27 years ago. It was small but interesting if I remember correctly they had a 1886 in 38-56 that was one of the outlaws in a case with his saddle. The towns people put up a resistance that you wouldn't see today for sure.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

RR7 - this is an xray of the gun hand of a descendant of one of the Dalton boys. :)

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Neat! RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:wink: COOL ! :wink:
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

EdinCT wrote:I went to the museum about 27 years ago. It was small but interesting if I remember correctly they had a 1886 in 38-56 that was one of the outlaws in a case with his saddle. The towns people put up a resistance that you wouldn't see today for sure.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when we talk about the "old west outlaws"...it seems that a lot of folks forget that in those days, there was NO Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) to guarantee the safety of YOUR money.
When a bank was robbed, prior to 1934, if you were a depositor, you LOST YOUR MONEY...the same as if the Dalton Boys rode into your home and took it from under your mattress. Thinking about that reality kinda puts a whole new light on musings about what some perceive as the romantic tales of old west outlaws, Robin Hoods of the West, etc.
Just sayin'.

Since 1934, No depositor in an FDIC insured institution has lost a penny. In other words...there is no incentive to engage a bank robber, or gang of bank robbers in a gunfight to try to prevent the robbery.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

If you are referring to the comment you quoted regarding the museum, your comment is way off base. It is not the Dalton Museum, it is the DALTON DEFENDERS MUSEUM and is dedicated to the citizens that lost their life defending their town during the raid.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”