Which rimfire levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Which rimfire levergun?

Post by Goat »

Having finally admited that I have lever-itus it became painfully clear that I no longer have a rimfire lever gun! I have owned a Marlin 39 and a Browning BL-22 in the past. I had thought about the Ruger 96/22 but waited until they were out of production before I took enough intrest to look for one. I know that some of you really like the Henry and some of you do not. I think that the Winchester 9422 now costs more than I am willing to pay for a rimfire. What is a man to do?
Goat
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

Go with a 9422 if you can find one in your price range. The Marlin 39 is a good one and the Henry .22 levergun is a good shooter.
David S
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I picked up a '57 vintage model 39 about a month ago at a lcal shop for $280.00! Now i wonder why I waited so long. About the most fun I've had with a new gun in a very long time. Recently got ino cowboy silhouette shooting and noticed that most of the guys were shooting 39s.

Been having a blast w/ shooting shorts in the basement and backyard.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Just bought my grand kids two Henry Golden Boys at Wal-Mart ($343 each). I have not shot them yet, but fit and finish is great along with a very smooth action.
when your enemy is within range so are you
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've had my 39a for about 30 years. I've shoot a truck load of small game with it and a truck load of ammo through it. It's still just as good as the day I got it (my 12th birthday I think). It should last another 4 or 5 lifetimes.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I have a Taurus 62LAR in stainless steel which I'm happy with though from what I hear production has stopped making these more difficult to find than a 39A or 9422.
I've also owned a Henry H0001 basic levergun as smooth as silk and reliable too, and I highly recommend them.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BL22 for me. I had a 39A and just didn't care for the way it felt compared to the BL22.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm a BL22 fan as well. I own a 9422, 39, and a Henry, but the BL22 is my favorite.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It doesn't look 'traditional', but for handiness, reliability, and just plain fun shooting, don't forget Ruger's little 96/22 - one thing I like is that the lever throw is so short you barely flick you fingers between shots.

As far as looks go, it might be nice to re-work the forend by slimming it down a bunch.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Did someone say a "Marlin"? Take your pick..... :D

I set up a display today at our collector show today. The theme was "Favorite Maker".

Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Love my 39A.

It's the one at the bottom. To lazy to take separate pix.Image
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I got my Winchester 9422 in 1977. I love it. As long as I own it, I have no compelling desire to purchase any other lever action .22.

Although an older Marlin 39 with the straight stock and 18.5" round barrel did tempt me once.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a 9422 XTR classic I traded a 12 ga BPS for. I think I got the best of the trade. Shoots great handles all sizes of 22's and is a joy to carry. Keep looking and you may get lucky too.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:It doesn't look 'traditional', but for handiness, reliability, and just plain fun shooting, don't forget Ruger's little 96/22 - one thing I like is that the lever throw is so short you barely flick you fingers between shots.
+1 (maybe it's an Indiana thing...) :wink:

To me, .22s mean LOTSA BOOLITS - and the 96/22 is the only one thatets me do this:

And still be able to shoot colibris. :D
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

GANJIRO wrote:I have a Taurus 62LAR in stainless steel which I'm happy with though from what I hear production has stopped making these more difficult to find than a 39A or 9422.
Man, I'd like to have a stainless 62! That's a beautiful rifle, Ji.

Here's my Marlin 39A with a tapered octagon barrel and my favorite .22 lever...unless I'm shooting my 9422 and then that's my favorite! :D :D :D :D :D :D

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I bought my 9422Mag brand new in 1992

And found this 9422 last year to go with it.

I just love the way the Winchesters handle and shoot.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

jdad...

WOW...that's quite a collection! A guy could get really green with the "E" word if he weren't careful!!! :D :D :D
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

salvo...

PM sent.
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Henry H001T - just $350, the smoothest action you'll ever see, and they're easy to find NIB (unlike the Marlins). Here's mine...

Aim small, miss small...
---------
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Sorry - no picture to attach, but I would try to find the best deal you can on a Winchester 9422 and buy it as soon as you can. I own one and would not trade that rifle on anything.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The 9422 does it for me. I now have two and intend to keep them, I never should have let my first one go! :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I'm sure they're all good - hard to find a 22 rimfire that isn't. I cast my vote for the Browning BL22 - not only does it have a very short throw but does something many others don't do or at least don't claim to do - shoot long rifles, longs, and shorts - all in the same magazine loading if you like.

YMMV

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER