New "shorty " Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

New "shorty " Marlin

Post by Streetstar »

I started a thread asking about these, and i think Ray Newman was interested in 'em too ----- i can't say i'm particularly "impressed" -- about these guns from a traditional standpoint, But .... I love the trapper configuration, and i love pistol grip stocks --- Its the Y model ("youth " configuration) -- the stock is long enough for me -- being used to collapsible stock AR's, this one feels pretty good

I like it ! --- It does not possess the aesthetics a lot of us like, -- but i plan to install the ubiquitous XS rail, and i think its about perfect for a spare Aimpoint and 3x magnifier on Larue mount i have laying around doing nothing ---- In the interest of giving it a bit more Chutzpah, i want to replace the safety with the saddle ring plug, so i can run my favorite Blue Dot single point sling as well

The rear sight is canted a little bit --- but the sight is knocked over too far to the right as it is ----- I'm going to tinker with the open sights first before mounting the "tactical" outfit --- if i center the sight and it is still canted way too much , i may send it back and ask for a new barrel -- otherwise , the action is good enough for a new gun, and much better than some of the stories i have heard

Traded a Noveske AR-15 upper and lower receiver for it --- they are nice , but i had it laying around for a while without doing anything with it, -- so the trade to me was equitable --- Bass Pro is trying to get $450 for these and they around 400 - 420 on gunbroker new (with some clowns asking for more :lol: )
---- I felt ok about the deal, even if some AR guys might call me nuts

The stock is a tad darker than some of the laminate stock horror stories i have seen on the rack at the box stores---- i was worried about that ugly thing, but i may roll with this particular one for now

I'm excited to do some shooting, so i hope i can give a range report on this new "Remlin" or "Marlington" or whatever everyone is calling these, pretty soon

----- Doug
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New "shorty " Marlin

Post by ollogger »

Not being a AR guy, I think you done good, keep us posted!

ollogger
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Mmmm Mmmm good
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I have one of these with the older wood.. Love it! Shoots well, handy size.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Saw one of those and liked it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I generally like the idea of laminated wood from a durability standpoint, but the exaggerated woodgrain is what puts me off and probably a lot of people too. -the photograph looks fitting as the floor is also a laminate wood floor, with an exaggerated woodgrain as well.

If it manages to shoot well, all is forgiven :D ---I would like for this to be a solid "workin gun"
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For a working gun, I would actually overlook the exaggerated wood grain. For a gun to just show off with, well, I would want some other wood. Ugly is as ugly does. (We all have paraphrased Mr. Gump at one time or another, haven't we.)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think it's a nice looking little gun.

Once you get the sights sorted out, it'll probably be a good shooter too.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had one of those from the first run they had of them back around 2004-2005 . The one I had was walnut stocked . Thing shot nicely with factory loads as well as jacketed and cast reloads .

At that time I also had a 1894FG and swapped the longer stock of the FG onto the Y and I liked it even more . The short stock idea was for my at the time wife . When she became an exwife the longer stock from the 1894FG made it a better rifle for my own use . That little rifle shooting my handloaded home cast bullets was quite accurate as well as light on recoil . I had loaded them down a touch in anticipation of exwifey shooting them . But after we split I found the gun wasn't so bad with the cast 150 grainers loaded a shade light .

The gun showed a distinct liking for Winchester factory 150 and 170 Silvertips . THink when I sold the rifle I had about 10 boxes of each bullet weight squirreled away . Sold all of them on Gunbroker to one fellow .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Looks good. I like shorties, they're handy.

Kevin
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm fond of the trappers. That will make a sweet work gun
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

For a minute there I thought you traded a complete Noveske upper and lower, not just the receiver. Glad I re-read it. Good trade.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I like that configuration too. I am waiting for Rem-Marlin to get their quality control act together before I purchase one. I would like to see them offer that model in .35 Rem. 1886.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

1886 wrote:I like that configuration too. I am waiting for Rem-Marlin to get their quality control act together before I purchase one. I would like to see them offer that model in .35 Rem. 1886.
Wouldn't we all...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I am an "AR guy" I guess and I like it, a lot. I've also always like laminated wood stocks too. Looks handy and versatile.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Probably something that will sell well in the 21st century if the quality is there. But it sure ain't my cuppa tea. The fascination with short rifles is an anathema to me and lam stocks as well. But I'm sure happy someone is happy.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote: The fascination with short rifles is an anathema to me and lam stocks as well. But I'm sure happy someone is happy.
My main gun for years has been a Guide Gun (also a very short rifle ) -- It just comes down to familiarity and preference.
A short rifle fits the way i like to hunt better. Stalk - hunting and still hunting through heavy underbrush, -- on occasion taking to the trees, plus handier in a saddle scabbard or getting in and out of my jeep. Can't recall anyone in my family who hunts where i do ever using anything longer than a standard 20" carbine either

I'll also take the little bit of weight loss and superior barrel harmonics of a shorter tube. A longer barrel might give the cartridge a little more pop and extend its effective range somewhat, but if i am in country where a little bit of range may be needed , (over 200 yards) -- i'd probably just take my '06

Laminated stocks are not my cup of tea either , but compared to some of the mystery wood i have seen on current rack grade Marlins, --I'll take it --- seems like a durable, no nonsense choice for an ugly conditions shooter --- plus, a truly nice set of Walnut would cost more than this whole rifle

--- Currently, the weather is at conditions only Pitchy would love -- , -10 degrees wind chill. So the range report will have to wait a few days, -- but i have a couple different weights and varieties of JSP's i'm going to try . I contemplated just zeroing it for the Hornady FTX load, but i dont want to limit myself to that animal --- in other rifles , it hits up to a foot higher at 100 than regular JSP's
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jdad wrote:For a minute there I thought you traded a complete Noveske upper and lower, not just the receiver. Glad I re-read it. Good trade.
-- people love that Iron Cross rollmark for sure ---- I fretted over getting rid of it a little -- but the company is still rolling out more receivers everyday, and doing a high end AR build just wasnt a priority for me anymore
----- Doug
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Streetstar wrote: A short rifle fits the way i like to hunt better. Stalk - hunting and still hunting through heavy underbrush, -- on occasion taking to the trees, plus handier in a saddle scabbard or getting in and out of my jeep. Can't recall anyone in my family who hunts where i do ever using anything longer than a standard 20" carbine either
I do all that too, but I use a 42" barreled flintlock and get within 20 yds often.

I also shoot a lot of targets as well and I just find the short barrels don't "hang" well at all. But that's just me. FWIW, I also find shotguns with barrels less than 28" long ridiculous, I don't care what the cover. So, we all have our preferences. I just don't see much of the industry catering to the guys that like longer guns these days. Perhaps it is a spill over the the AR world.

Thankfully longer barreled rifles are still out on the used market and they don't wear out.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BrentD wrote: I just don't see much of the industry catering to the guys that like longer guns these days. Perhaps it is a spill over the the AR world.

Thankfully longer barreled rifles are still out on the used market and they don't wear out.
Still out there a bit-- The Marlin Cowboy is one, The XLR was a long barreled rifle, -- some of the higher end Winchesters now have come out in longer barrels , - there are longer barreled 1886 variants too

But the AR crowd going gaga over leverguns is what will keep leverguns relevant for a while yet ---- i also participate in an AR15 oriented forum elsewhere, and those guys' collectively went bananas when MArlin made the SBL a few years back (the one with the scout rail, green laminate furniture and full length mag tube-- Marlin's acronyms are getting tiresome)

plant a seed and a tree will grow --- the same guy outfitting a Guide Gun with an ACOG today will be trying to buy 100 year old guns at auction in a few years

Have seen a few factory lettered 1873 and 1894's from the late 19th century sporting 15" barrels -- the original "Trapper" , so even in the long barrel heyday, there were still shorties to be had
----- Doug
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Streetstar wrote: But the AR crowd going gaga over leverguns is what will keep leverguns relevant for a while yet ---- i also participate in an AR15 oriented forum elsewhere, and those guys' collectively went bananas when MArlin made the SBL a few years back (the one with the scout rail, green laminate furniture and full length mag tube-- Marlin's acronyms are getting tiresome)
That is probably what it would take to stay viable in the mass market world. The company would go broke building the rifles I want, though a considerably downsized company might not.

Interestingly, there is a pretty vibrant economy for the boutique traditional singleshot rifle makers. I wonder if a similar company or three might do as well making traditional, high quality lever guns? To some extent, Turnbull is heading in that direction, but there might be room for others.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like it a lot.

I like short guns with short LOPs. For me the 16 inch trapper length IS handier than the 18 and a half inch length of my guide gun. I normally carry barrel down with my hand in the lever. Two and a half inches does make it easier to get over the mossy logs, thru the muskeg sink holes, in and out of skiffs, punts, kayaks and real boats.

I like that stock as well, I don't think it would be affected by radical changes in weather, it's warm in color and texture, and it won't break in two when I hit the frozen muskeg pan full force like my RS-77 stock did, first day out.

It's true that a long barrel makes a long sight radius, but that's for us, the bullet doesn't care. If it did, the pistoleros could not hit anything past 50 yards.

Good rifle to have
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

FWiedner wrote:
1886 wrote:I like that configuration too. I am waiting for Rem-Marlin to get their quality control act together before I purchase one. I would like to see them offer that model in .35 Rem. 1886.
Wouldn't we all...

:lol:
Oh yes :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Streetstar, et al: yes I asked about the Marlin 336Y.

Last Saturday, after looking at the four on the rack and working the actions, one followed me home. Figured for US$399.00, plus the governor’s share, cost was not prohibitory. Bought it on a whim to do some center fire plinking at 50-100yrds. Probably less than 75 yards as my eye sight is not the best – starting cataracts.

Fast handling little rifle. Probably be a very good truck, farm tractor, or ATV rifle. Plus in the ever-popular .30 WCF ammunition is easier to find than say .35 Remington or .32 Special.

Cannot detect any offset mounting in the front or rear sights. Hooded front sight gives an ample field of view – at least for my eyesight. Semi-buckhorn are easy to see as well as fast to put on target.

Metal finish is evenly applied and does not have a glare in sunlight – a plus.

“Wood” to metal fit could be better, but this rifle was made to a specific price point. At first, I was not impressed with the laminated “wood” stock, but it is becoming less obnoxious.

Loaded up 2 dummy rounds with 150 grn. round nose bullets, loaded via the loading gate and smartly worked the action. No problems feeding, chambering, and ejecting. Action had a stiff spot, but after working it about 50-60 times, it “wore” in. Same with the trigger, which could probably be immensely improved with some judicious honing.

Bore is coated with some type of grease/preservative that was a PITA to remove. Next will run a few patches through it with JB‘s Paste. Crown shows no problems or any deformities.

Would like to see Marlin offer a .35 Remington bore as well as – dare I hope? – a .32 Special.

When I returned home after the purchase, found an E-mail from a Fellow Shooter who also examined one of the rifles at the local Sunbirds. Ron is ‘sorta’ picky and he was impressed with the little Marlin.

Have not shot it as it has been too cold at the range.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.