Split Resizing die on my 450 Alaskan, among other problems.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Split Resizing die on my 450 Alaskan, among other problems.

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well darn it! I got my 450 brass in and was trying to get my loading dies set up, and load a few rounds. The new brass would not chamber, no real surprise there, so I resized one, but didnot full length resize at first, but soon discovered that I had to go all of the way and bump the resizing die to get the case to chamber. They worked but were still probably slightly more snug then I would have prefered but seemed to work, so I went on and loaded a few rounds, and when I went to seat the bullets, I also found that I had to bump that die also to get a full crimp and even then I would have preferred a little more crimp, but the cases were right at the trim length, if they were slighty longer they would have been fine, which the loaded rounds I received with the gun were slightly longer.

Well Ok, I though I had everthing set right, just like I had more or less always done, when starting with a new round. But the cases were sticky in the chamber of the rifle, and one stuck and the extractor slipped off of it, so I had to knock it out with a rod. The other cases would go, but definately tighter then I liked, espacally for a leveraction, and definately too tight for a dangerous game rifle if I in fact ever used it for that.

So after careful inspection, trying to figure out what the problem was and had about decided that maybe the cases still needed to be fire formed, to get right, I dicovered that my sizing die was split. So of course it was probably spreading a tiny bit and not completely resizing the cases as tightly as needed.

My question is do you think RCBS will replace my Resizing die? And if they won't, does anyone think it would be better to get a different brand?Granted this die is not that thick on the side walls, but I recond they would all have to be that way, unless they were threaded for a bigger bolt thread.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

On second thought, I may have broken this die tonight, when I run a 50 Alaskan case through it and reformed it to 450 Alaskan. In Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal, Dave Scovill stated that it was no problem to just run the 50 Alaskan through a 450 resizing die or even a 348 win resizing die if you couldn't find 348 brass.

So I tried it, and it worked. It did however take quite a bit of effort using my little RCBS Junior press, and afterwards I wondered if another press would give more leverage, like possibly a Rockchucker or another brand.

That piece of brass will chamber in my 450 but it is a little shorter, so I would definately have a problem crimping. I know I can fix the crimping die by chucking it up in a lathe and turning off a few thousands. I think I did that one time on a 357 die so I could load 38 Specials. The metal is hard but it can be cut.

But darn I hope RCBS will replace my resizing die. It might have been cracked before I got it, who knows.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

[quote

But darn I hope RCBS will replace my resizing die. It might have been cracked before I got it, who knows.[/quote]

Many times RCBS will replace dies or parts with a simple phone call. You probably won't even have to send the cracked die back first. They may want it to inspect but will probably just ship your new die ASAP.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

What (if any) did you use for case forming lube?
Slow is just slow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Call RCBS, talk to a human. Never mind email. They'll get you fixed up. They are good folks to deal with.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Dittos. RCBS stands behind their product. I've seen dies cracked, they either had faults (as it appears yours did) or it took TREMENDOUS pressure.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I 've had nothing but the best service from RCBS. If they don't send you a new die, I will be VERY suprised.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I split an RCBS sizer die when working with my .416 Rigby. RCBS replaced it without issue. Best of Luck. 1886.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

cas wrote:What (if any) did you use for case forming lube?
I was using One Shot spray lube, which I have used for years.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

For sizing or reforming?
Slow is just slow.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

cas wrote:For sizing or reforming?
Both, but I am not doing major reforming, although I guess it is more difficult then resizing a .308 Win into 358Win which is about all of the reforming I have done. But I only reformed one case which was a 50 Alaskan which only requires necking down to 45, and really that shouldn't of put much more pressure on the back of the case where the die split, then just resizing 450 brass.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I assume it was Starline brass? It's good stuff, but hard.

I was going to mention in the .45-75 Brass thread about Rooster Labs CFL-56 case forming lube. It works really well, but it's a pain to get off the brass and out of the die when your done. :lol:

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html
Slow is just slow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lastmohecken,

I think we got your die problem discussed enough, but I have a comment about your press.
If you are using a RCBS JR press, you don't have enough press. I sprung my JR press simply full length sizing 30-06 cases.
I'd suggest moving up to a Rockchucker or what ever RBCS is calling them now, or a Bonanza Forster Co-Ax, or one of bigger presses that can handle case reforming.

Joe
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

J Miller wrote:Lastmohecken,

I think we got your die problem discussed enough, but I have a comment about your press.
If you are using a RCBS JR press, you don't have enough press. I sprung my JR press simply full length sizing 30-06 cases.
I'd suggest moving up to a Rockchucker or what ever RBCS is calling them now, or a Bonanza Forster Co-Ax, or one of bigger presses that can handle case reforming.

Joe
Yes, I believe you are right. I have been needing to do that for a while. My old Junior press does not have the leverage needed, and its getting worn. There is no telling how many thousands of pistol rounds I have loaded on it, back in the 80's before I got a Dillion Progressive, for that sort of loading.

I will be calling RCBS on monday to see about the split die. But it looks like my newest interest is going to require other upgrades before I get really set up for this wildcat. And I am starting to wonder if I am not going to need a neck reamer also, for this round.