Venison Steaks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Venison Steaks

Post by draperjojo »

I cooked some up over the weekend. They'd been defrosted and in the fridge for 4 days, so I mixed up some marinade and put it all in a ziplock bag in the fridge for another 5-6 hours and then grilled them up. I thought they were as good as the elk steaks....so did the rest of the family, including someone who told me he couldn't picture himself eating game animals....hahaha....we may not be buying much beef this year. Just get the rifles ready for another hunting season! :-D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Venison Steaks

Post by Blaine »

I just love 'em blackened on the outside, warm and almost rare on the inside :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I don't burn em long, but here's what I did, the flavor was good, and they were juicy!

Defrost 1-1/2 lbs of steaks (1/2" to 3/4" thick) in fridge for 3-4 days, puncture meat repeatedly with large fork. Mix up marinade and put in a ziplock bag with steak overnight, turning bag occasionally. Remove from bag and put on 350 degree grill about 4 minutes/side. Pull steaks from grill and put on plate, cover steaks with foil for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your favorite sides.

2 tablespoons minced onion

3 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1-1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WHAT? You actually measure ingredients? I drizzle a little of that, shake out some of this, and so forth... that measurin' out stuff is my accountant type wife... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

draperjojo wrote:
I thought they were as good as the elk steaks....so did the rest of the family, including someone who told me he couldn't picture himself eating game animals....hahaha.... :-D
Funny.............. One of my closest hunting pals (of 50 years), lately passed, hunted deer with me (then later including our sons) every year - but would never eat anything that didn't have a USDA inspection stamp on it. (he also refused to eat any seafood besides fish & chips or canned Tuna)

He used to claim that he would be able to tell the difference between "safe" meat & other meat, like venison, instantly - due to the distinctive taste(s).

He once helped hisself to quite a bit of a side order of a fried squid rings appetizer I had ordered when our wives & us were eating out one evening - commenting on how good they tasted.
We were amazed, and complimented him on trying something "different".
He immediately stopped eating them, saying he thought I had ordered Onion rings - and refused to touch another. :roll:

For quite a few years, @ hunting camp (Maine), he was actually eating venison meatballs that our (adult) sons had made for macaroni suppers, also proclaiming how good the meal was.
(The boys, now men, just sat there, with a S.E.G. ( scat eating grin) on their faces, throughout the meals)

I never had the heart to tell him after his boasts ( I didn't want to embarass him).

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:
draperjojo wrote:I thought they were as good as the elk steaks....so did the rest of the family, including someone who told me he couldn't picture himself eating game animals....hahaha.... :-D
...I never had the heart to tell him after his boasts ( I didn't want to embarass him...
You Sir, are a much kinder person that I am!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno 'bout that, Griff - but we were best friends for 52 years, before his passing last month.

I'm sure he cut me as much slack as I did him................ :)

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My son and I shot three fat whitetail does Feb 16 and I picked up the processed venison this past Thursday.
Friday night was pan friend steaks, baked potatoes, grilled zucchini, salad and red wine.
Hard to beat! :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

draperjojo wrote:I don't burn em long, but here's what I did, the flavor was good, and they were juicy!

Defrost 1-1/2 lbs of steaks (1/2" to 3/4" thick) in fridge for 3-4 days, puncture meat repeatedly with large fork. Mix up marinade and put in a ziplock bag with steak overnight, turning bag occasionally. Remove from bag and put on 350 degree grill about 4 minutes/side. Pull steaks from grill and put on plate, cover steaks with foil for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your favorite sides.

2 tablespoons minced onion

3 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1-1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sounds like a good one, I will try it on some Antelope steaks~ :)
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Pete44ru wrote:
draperjojo wrote:
I thought they were as good as the elk steaks....so did the rest of the family, including someone who told me he couldn't picture himself eating game animals....hahaha.... :-D
Funny.............. One of my closest hunting pals (of 50 years), lately passed, hunted deer with me (then later including our sons) every year - but would never eat anything that didn't have a USDA inspection stamp on it. (he also refused to eat any seafood besides fish & chips or canned Tuna)

He used to claim that he would be able to tell the difference between "safe" meat & other meat, like venison, instantly - due to the distinctive taste(s).

I never had the heart to tell him after his boasts ( I didn't want to embarass him).

I had the same thing with one of my friends that would come out to visit. I made a Mexican dish with elk hamburger, invited a few neighbor ladies over and as we ate away my one friend told me now good the elk was in this dish, not that she tasted the difference, she just knew at that time I was cooking alot with Mulie and Elk. I thought Teresa was going to puke out what she had in her mouth. She was with us about a week and asked before each meal what we were having and what it was made with. She finally asked if we could have some REAL food... I asked her what REAL food was and she said you know... like a pizza or I see there is a burger king in town.... LOL.. good grief! :roll:
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Ms Boots wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:
draperjojo wrote:
I had the same thing with one of my friends that would come out to visit. I made a Mexican dish with elk hamburger, invited a few neighbor ladies over and as we ate away my one friend told me now good the elk was in this dish, not that she tasted the difference, she just knew at that time I was cooking alot with Mulie and Elk. I thought Teresa was going to puke out what she had in her mouth. She was with us about a week and asked before each meal what we were having and what it was made with. She finally asked if we could have some REAL food... I asked her what REAL food was and she said you know... like a pizza or I see there is a burger king in town.... LOL.. good grief! :roll:
We had a guy over for spaghetti one night and he LOVED his food...until he found out it was "Elk" spaghetti....I thought he was gonna blow his twinkies...LOL . My SIL can't eat in a restaurant if there are animal heads on the wall. They came over for Christmas Eve dinner with their kids, and we had Ham, Turkey, and Elk Steak. I think she was APPALLED by the dinner fare....and to throw a little gas on the fire, her husband and one of the daughters couldn't hardly leave the Elk Steak alone....said it was some of the best meat they had ever had....hahaha

BTW, I didn't measure the ingredients...those are just approximates that I come close to.... :-D
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My wife got mad at me for fixing up ground vension and passing it off as hamburger to family and friends. She said it was RUDE and disrespectful! I have the butcher add 10% beef fat to my venison; hell I can barely tell that it is venison. I doubt that I could tell the difference if I was not the one that opened the package and browned the meat.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ha. I feed the cheap stuff (beef hamburger) to the guests and keep the deer, elk, antelope, and bear to myself. :!:

When our girls were little, they used to ask what we were eating. I would tell them "dead cow", "dead pig", "dead fish", or "dead deer." They could never say I lied to them :D Now our youngest (22 :roll: ) seems a little picky, but we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on ingredients.

I have 25% beef fat added to my mule deer ground meat or it wants to stick to the pan. The venison soaks it right up. We just had elk lasagna tonight :D Yum
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr made some homemade venison helper a few nights ago. The ground venison had a much better flavor than dead cow.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.