Speaking of 45-70 Brass...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Speaking of 45-70 Brass...

Post by southfork »

While I missed out on the Starline 45-70 Brass that was available at Midway a few days ago, today at a small local shop specializing in guns and ammo, I found what I think is some REALLY scarce 45-70 Brass. I got two boxes (20 count each) of 45-70 Brass with the following heads stamp: "WRA 45-70 Govt". The lid on one of the original manila colored boxes also says WRA 45-70 Govt Brass.

I thought that WRA meant "Winchester Repeating Arms," and that WRA hadn't been making ammo or brass since the 1930s. Am I wrong about that? Is someone else faking WRA 45-70 Govt brass nowadays???
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Speaking of 45-70 Brass...

Post by southfork »

So far about 45 guys have looked at this thread of mine and no response as to a reproduction WRA head stamp brass maker out there.

So, maybe the "WRA 45-70 Govt" brass that I got are originals, then?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I Googled around a bit, and only "believe" that they are pretty old. Here's a good source of info for you to dig through.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Can't be 100%-For-Sure-Dead-Nuts-Certain about the date of the brass you purchased.

But during WW II Winchester did make.45-70 line throwing blanks for the USN/USCG. Based upon similar threads I read on some Black Powder sites, do believe it was stamped as you posted.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Winchester (Olin) was still head-stamping brass WRA into the 1960s and possibly early 1970s. I have .44-40, 34-70, .38 sPL, .32 S&WL and others which were purchased new by me during that period. Both WW and WRA were available at the same time.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

A year or two ago, I acquired some 40-82 head stamped brass that included some WRA brass.

This is what MikeD said about it:
"Usually, the Peters cases are fine, but the old WRAs are not. Those balloon head cases are dangerous."
Before he passed on, Mike was a regular contributor to this board, and was very knowledgeable when it came to old Winchesters and shooting them.

I only had a couple of the WRAs, but I took the WRA brass out of the reloading queue on Mike's word. If your WRA cases are balloon cases, I would not use them until I had solid evidence that they are safe to use. JMHO
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

More great input. Thanks, guys. I'll cut one apart to see if they are "balloon head" or not. If they are not, I'll load them probably.
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

I have about 100rounds of Hornady brass that need a home.
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC