Sometimes living in Canada can be crazy-making

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Harris85
Levergunner

Sometimes living in Canada can be crazy-making

Post by Harris85 »

It looks like a number of firearms previously considered non-restricted have been reclassified by the RCMP as prohibited, namely some Swiss Arms rifles and the CZ-858 series of rifles. Both of these rifles have been sold in Canada for years, and both are in compliance with the regulations set out in the firearms act for firearms of this type (barrel is sufficiently long, magazine restricted to five rounds, semi-automatic only.)

While the reality of firearms ownership in Canada is often fraught with illogical restrictions, this change really is quite reprehensible. Essentially, the RCMP can restrict, prohibit or (ultimately) confiscate whatever firearm it wants using a completely arbitrary framework of its own design.

I do not own any of the rifles that have been reclassified, but I am deeply disturbed that this is taking place.

Very, very frustrated. I am not the letter writing type, but it looks like my member of parliament is going to be receiving one from me soon.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sometimes living in Canada can be crazy-making

Post by Mescalero »

These are trying times for guys like us.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Mescalero wrote:These are trying times for guys like us.
Amen.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

pokey!
good to see you again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Essentially, the RCMP can restrict, prohibit or (ultimately) confiscate whatever firearm it wants using a completely arbitrary framework of its own design.
THAT is why it is NEVER good to 'compromise', even if you are accused of being 'unreasonable' - the evil ones on the other side will distort and exploit each and every 'reasonable' legislation you allow them to pass.

It is never really about 'reducing crime' - crime can be minimal, declining, and a host of proven ways to further reduce it will be ignored, so the claim can be made the new law is 'needed'. It never is.

Too many gun owners (and other groups) are not politically-aware enough to oppose laws on principle though, and they let 'reasonable' ones pass; look how many allegedly freedom-oriented fools have supported prohibition, the income tax, and many other things which caused far more harm than good.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
Essentially, the RCMP can restrict, prohibit or (ultimately) confiscate whatever firearm it wants using a completely arbitrary framework of its own design.
THAT is why it is NEVER good to 'compromise', even if you are accused of being 'unreasonable' - the evil ones on the other side will distort and exploit each and every 'reasonable' legislation you allow them to pass.
It is never really about 'reducing crime' - crime can be minimal, declining, and a host of proven ways to further reduce it will be ignored, so the claim can be made the new law is 'needed'. It never is.
Too many gun owners (and other groups) are not politically-aware enough to oppose laws on principle though, and they let 'reasonable' ones pass; look how many allegedly freedom-oriented fools have supported prohibition, the income tax, and many other things which caused far more harm than good.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

That's really bad. The vz.58 was kind of the AR for Canadian shooters - a great little semi-auto carbine that was legal, and not so expensive as the Tavor.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The current government has extended an amnesty for these rifles. Hopefuly they will address the process which allows no oversight or citizen oversight. It is never proper to give such power to a national police force.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

AJMD429 wrote:

+1
I think today "compromise" is the newest buzzword. All negotiations are urged to "compromise" (a local teachers' strike had all the local news agencies calling for "compromise", and all the politicians urging for a "compromise"). In my thinking, if I were to compromise with something I didn't believe in, I would become half wrong, and the other side also half wrong. No winners...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:In my thinking, if I were to compromise with something I didn't believe in, I would become half wrong, and the other side also half wrong. No winners...
Yep - 'compromise' is when the bad-guys come to your door and 'ask' to rape your wife and your daughter, and you behave in a 'reasonable' manner, and respond that you do not want them to do that, but they may pick only one of them to rape, and leave the other alone.

I don't think any of us here on the forum would have that 'reasonable' response in such a hypothetical situation, nor should we when the government proposes essentially the same thing, albeit in a less confrontational or less-directly-violent manner.

The same two-part response occurs to me in either scenario -
  • 1. A counter-offer that they perform an anatomically-impossible task, then
    2. Removing their head for them, to facilitate compliance with #1.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You are the only other person besides myself that I have ever heard suggest that an oppossing debater perform an anatomical impossibilty upon himself.( At least using that verbage )
hosehead
Levergunner

Post by hosehead »

Yep this whole banning the scary looking guns in canada is getting old. Makes me wonder how long I ll be allowed to keep my SKS.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Not just the rifles, also a bunch of antique status revolvers got reclassified as restricted and prohibited. Scary to think what is next, with the RCMP off on a power trip. I would not be surprised if they restrict the SKS.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In bear country, and Canada has REAL bear country; an SKS could be a useful device.