Ithaca mod 37

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Ithaca mod 37

Post by pwl44m »

I am trying to find info on an Ithaca 16 ga. I need a barrel and haven't been able to locate one. The ser # is 511xxx. At some point They changed the threads when they came out with the magnum. Does anybody have a source for determining year of manufacture for this gun ?. Heck if U have a barrel I am interested. It is for someone else and I am trying to help Him out. Thx in advance for any info and/leads for a Barrel.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ithaca mod 37

Post by BigSky56 »

the change in threads was around ser# 850,000 Ithaca is back in business again email them about getting a new barrel with the old thread. Serial numbers for ithaca's http://diamondgunsmithing.com/IGSN/IGSN.html danny
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

BigSky56 wrote:the change in threads was around ser# 850,000 Ithaca is back in business again email them about getting a new barrel with the old thread. Serial numbers for ithaca's http://diamondgunsmithing.com/IGSN/IGSN.html danny
Thx, looks like it was made in 1953. Now to find a Barrel.
Perry
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'd like to have a 16 gauge 37 with a slug barrel .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Perry, if you look over on Shotgunworld.com they have different forums for different brands of shotguns, Ithaca being one of them. There are some very knowledgeable people there who will help you.

Be sure to use the Ithaca forum, not the general forum
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

pwl44m wrote:I am trying to find info on an Ithaca 16 ga. I need a barrel and haven't been able to locate one. The ser # is 511xxx. At some point They changed the threads when they came out with the magnum. Does anybody have a source for determining year of manufacture for this gun ?. Heck if U have a barrel I am interested. It is for someone else and I am trying to help Him out. Thx in advance for any info and/leads for a Barrel.
Perry

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf

If he can wait a bit, even the 16ga barrels come up time to time at Kittery Trading Post. Probably around $100 (ask them)
If he can live with just a plain 26" in say 85% condition or so am saying around $85 ?

Heck, if its a old Ithaca 37 he wants put your order into those fine guys to get you the barrel and in the meantime get this 1968 92% condition 12ga complete gun for around $250 :wink:
And, A weapon that age they deem "there" at 92% is a keeper!
I have bought 4- 20" Deerslayer slug barrels for around $100 each at 95-98% condition a 3- 28" vent rib barrels at 93-96% condition modified(2) and (1) full at $90 each and all looked about brand new.
Bought them just in case I ever shoot my other barrels out on my 37's. :lol:
Way they are built aint going to happen though.
The deerslayer smoothbore barrel is an absolute work of art. Looks like what a glass blower would do only with metal.
The tapering and barrel design is magical. :mrgreen:
Friend of mine retired from the Ithaca plant and explained how he made them. unreal!
Example, where some companies imported cheap springs or wire from China, won't say who but you would be surprised. They wound their own stuff using piano wire and such with all material being made in the USA. :wink:

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=

Piece of history, fine craftsmanship, and my opinion dirt cheap!
Why everyone don't have one ?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

pwl44m wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:the change in threads was around ser# 850,000 Ithaca is back in business again email them about getting a new barrel with the old thread. Serial numbers for ithaca's http://diamondgunsmithing.com/IGSN/IGSN.html danny
Thx, looks like it was made in 1953. Now to find a Barrel.
Perry

Perry - There's no need to get all wound up in finding a 1953 barrel.

Any bbl with a SN on it would have been made prior to the interchangeability deadline, but AFAIK any 16ga bbl made by the NY-based Ithaca Gun Company will do.

Just finding a 16ga bbl will be hard enough - but if/when you obtain ANY barrel, it'll need to be fitted to your receiver threads by someone who's familiar with the fitting - OR send the bbl & (just) the receiver to the new Ithaca Service Dept or Diamond Gunsmithing, for the pros to fit.

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/ithacabarrels.htm

You would have to call and see if they believe the threads are correct.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW:

As I posted above - The threads on ALL other M37 bbl's will be incorrect for the OP's gun, and must be fitted.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FWIW:

As I posted above - The threads on ALL other M37 bbl's will be incorrect for the OP's gun, and must be fitted.

Is this typical of all 37s or just this era. Now I'm confused (nuthin new I know).
Perry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe I can unconfuse you.

Ithaca M37's, with a SN of 850,000 or higher, will readily interchange any other Ithaca M37 bbl from SN 850,000 upward.
The bbl's for these guns were not usually serial numbered.

Ithaca M37's, with a SN lower then 850,000, were fitted with the barrel they were born with, and NO other will readily fit properly.
The bbl's for these guns were each serial numbered to the receiver they were fitted with during production.

Ithaca M37 barrels, either above or below 850,000, will not fit a receiver under SN 850,000 - unless the "new" barrel has it's threads fitted to the sub-850,000 receiver's threads.

IDK, if early/serial-numbered M37 barrels will fit a receiver with a SN over 850,000 - but my WAG is that they will not.

The bottom line: If your friend's Model 37 has a SN under 850,000 - any barrel you or he can find (that isn't SN'd to his receiver) will work - but it will need to be fitted by somebody that knows what they're about.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Maybe I can unconfuse you.

Ithaca M37's, with a SN of 850,000 or higher, will readily interchange any other Ithaca M37 bbl from SN 850,000 upward.
The bbl's for these guns were not usually serial numbered.

Ithaca M37's, with a SN lower then 850,000, were fitted with the barrel they were born with, and NO other will readily fit properly.
The bbl's for these guns were each serial numbered to the receiver they were fitted with during production.

Ithaca M37 barrels, either above or below 850,000, will not fit a receiver under SN 850,000 - unless the "new" barrel has it's threads fitted to the sub-850,000 receiver's threads.

IDK, if early/serial-numbered M37 barrels will fit a receiver with a SN over 850,000 - but my WAG is that they will not.

The bottom line: If your friend's Model 37 has a SN under 850,000 - any barrel you or he can find (that isn't SN'd to his receiver) will work - but it will need to be fitted by somebody that knows what they're about.

yep!

I was always told that the old barrels were missing the interrupter thread meaning when the different barrels were installed on the older pre 855,000 s/n receivers being not matched to each other at the factory, there was a large gap in headspace causing a dangerous situations.
They explain it here better.
http://www.ithacagun.com/ithacabarrels.html

If memory serves me right what people did was with a different barrel they welded over old threads rethreaded with interrupter thread making a snug fit from barrel to receiver ??
But don't hold me to that. I am sure to be on the safe side the company would rather have you spend about $400-$500
Guess best course is do whatever is the best solution of what the factory recommends.
Honestly, unless that gun has extreme sentimental value, why not spend a total of $250-$300 and get a later S/N gun.
They will exchange barrels and those that say that can't don't tell my 6 Ithaca 37's and various 8 separate extra barrels that have been tried and worked. :wink:
I was of the mindset that if one got a different barrel for $85 and had a gun smith rethread it for $50 might be in business,
Also call me crazy but I have couple friends that are high ranking machinist that I bet could insure it being rethreaded a fit tight but again, call me crazy and don't do it I guess for you or friend. :D
However, best go by what the experts tell you and be safe. :D
If Ithaca gun tells you the say post 900,000 s/n guns cannot swap barrels ??? :roll:

Actually, when calling them about a Turkey Model 37 for Daughter last week at their new plant, frankly I was very disappointed compared to the old Ithaca plant how they relate to the customer.

1) The guy seemed ho/hum and really not like he cared if someone bought one or not.
2) He said more or less they are not making any camo stuff now cause their paint ain't sticking to the guns??? :lol:
3) All he could maybe get is the plain version black synthetic one and not one dollar off msrp $999 plus tax and ship. :roll: and I was ready to buy right then.
4) asked if he could give me a idea on if a distributor might have one or know where one could be found. Nope! :roll:

If you really want a good one get a s/n 371xxxxxx one and while at it get the vent rib 28" modified and in the Deluxe version.
I see them on Gunbroker or Kittery sometimes for around $300-$325

I would be darned to pay $500 for a barrel from Ithaca and have a old one you can't change barrels.
Just my two cents but if you ask me "they ain't what they used to be" Company that is, guns ??? Will never know now!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a replacement barrel with chokes for higher numbered 37 in 12 ga.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I called Corsons this morning. Talked to the Man Himself and got basically same info as Pete relayed. He said imagine "Pipe Threads and then the interrupter cut for each Gun". The newer versions were straight threads with interrupters. He said send it to Ithaca. BTW, the Woman that answered the phone was very knowledgeable also.
I know the Guy that owns the Gun is going to say "Bull Malarky". He thinks it is a high dollar Gun, I don't think it is. I will try to convince Him to sell it if a Buyer comes along. Had 2 Guys at the last show that wanted to buy it and He said No. Maybe with this new light He will say Yes.
Thx everybody that responded, it was very helpful.
Perry
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Saw one the other night used for $ 400 CDN with a 2&3/4 inch chamber, 16 Ga with two spots of surface rust on frame.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

samb wrote:Saw one the other night used for $ 400 CDN with a 2&3/4 inch chamber, 16 Ga with two spots of surface rust on frame.

Guys,

Help me out here. Not trying to be a wise guy either. An honest question.
Now, I can see if you currently have a 16ga shotgun etc. ok cool!
However given the variety of choices of power for ones needs why choose a 16ga when the 20ga and 12ga have so many options and ammo availability is so much more available maybe with the exception of those who reload.
To me all it does is make it more of a pain getting ammo.
Absolutely respect the guys that got or want them I just don't see the sense of it?

Larry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's not all about "power".

FWIW, the 16ga has made a comeback amongst bird hunters, especially one in an Ithaca M37 - IOW, they're currently "hot".

Especially desireable are 16ga's made on a scaled (down) frame, like the M37 - or on a 20ga frame, like an L.C.Smith SxS Featherweight ("FW" SN prefix).

They are like veritable "wands", compared to the same gun in 12ga.

16ga shotshell ammo may be hard to get in some areas, but is readily available in mine, and online also.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good info!

Thanks