New 1886 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

New 1886 Trapper

Post by Streetstar »

I was perusing 1886's and 1895's on GunBroker (Thank you NoahZark) - when i saw this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =398720165

Apparently this is another "Davidson's Special"

What do you guys' think ?

I love short, trapper length barrels , but in my eyes, something looks a bit "off" about this one --- short barrels look more proportional with a full length mag tube and a shorter piece of forearm wood ---
The Marlin's seem to pull off the short sawed off look a bit better than the Winchesters

But who knows , i will be paying attention to the CDNN and J&G sales in the next year --- they may be blowing these out at cost soon enough like they seem to be doing with the run of 1885 "Trappers" (1885 being another rifle that looks a bit odd with a 16" tube)
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 1886 Trapper

Post by vancelw »

I would like that gun better with a full length tube, straight grip, and shotgun butt.

Oh wait...except for the shotgun butt, it sounds like I want a Browning SRC :D I do, of course.

Glad to see stuff like that being made, even if it does have a redundant safety
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I agree, I think that barrel length needs a carbine forend. I think Winchester must have originally agreed, too, hence the existence of the carbine for end on the original shorter length rifles (carbines).

I have looked at some of the Italian 1886 clones, and some are pretty nice. I think that would be the way I would tend to lean if buying a modern 1886 now, and couldn't find a Browning I liked. My Japanchester '86 is pretty nice, though, just had to get rid of the tang safety.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

7.62 Precision wrote:I agree, I think that barrel length needs a carbine forend. I think Winchester must have originally agreed, too, hence the existence of the carbine for end on the original shorter length rifles (carbines).
Yes -- i believed they "phoned it in" a bit when speccing this one out, as it looks a bit mis-matched , but like i said -- i'll keep my fingers crossed for an $800 bargain if CDNN gets ahold of them like they did the 1885's :D

Somewhat related to our original convo on Doc AJ's thread though, i was actually looking for original 1895's and 86's though -- 1895's have gone down a bit in price -- i can actually afford one if i wanted a 30-40 , or a re-blued one :)
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I had to look --- :evil: :oops:

no leverguns right now (unless this is considered a levergun) --- but a 28" barreled 1885 in .375 H&H does look appealing -------- however, .375 being a classic African cartridge, who in their right mind would go after dangerous game with a single shot? (probably plenty, i'm sure)

They have plenty of the Chapparall 1876's for sale cheap, but i have heard those are a little hit or miss, quality wise

http://www.cdnnsports.com/1885-375h-h-s ... xooQfldVlw
----- Doug
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Boy, now that is a stupid Lever Gun with ALL the features I don't want in a TRAPPER....A Browning SRC... yep all day long.. 8) ....... maybe those Guys who thought that Winnie it up are possum trappers....it won't matter if it goes "click" when they drop the rebounder. sorry I just can't take it no more. :cry: .
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Whiskey gets blamed for a lotta things it didn't do..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Whoever hatched this idea must have been the same guy who came up with that idea of chambering their 1895 in 270 Winchester. Remember that one?!?!?! :cry: All they need to do is continue making the old school standard stuff and we will continue to buy it!

PS @ Buck: I loved your last comment!!! :lol:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It's much too sawn off looking to my eyes. I agree with vancelw that the pistol grip looks out of place. Why did they saw off just one cartridge length from the magazine? I like the looks of a half mag, but I don't see the point in that job.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If folks think a .30-30 has too much BARK in a 16" barrel... think about this 45-70 for a second...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'd cut the crescent stock to a flat butt and add a recoil pad. Other than that, I could live with it, although not ideal to me.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:If folks think a .30-30 has too much BARK in a 16" barrel... think about this 45-70 for a second...

The "tactical" crowd routinely fires off .308's in 16" barrels. and 7.62/39 and 5.56/223 out of 10" barreled AK and AR pistols :D (i had an AR pistol --- fireballs out the muzzle were as big as a pumpkin ) -- not to mention the big boom from various rifle caliber Encore pistols - (ouch)
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:
Griff wrote:If folks think a .30-30 has too much BARK in a 16" barrel... think about this 45-70 for a second...
The "tactical" crowd routinely fires off .308's in 16" barrels. and 7.62/39 and 5.56/223 out of 10" barreled AK and AR pistols :D (i had an AR pistol --- fireballs out the muzzle were as big as a pumpkin ) -- not to mention the big boom from various rifle caliber Encore pistols - (ouch)
I know... once fired a cylinder full of factory .45-70 from a BFR... that's "BIG, Friendly Revolver, n case you aren't familiar... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

This is what they should have done --- been researching internet photos on these things a bit ---- I'd prefer a shotgun butt for a big boomer like this too --- but the pistol grip is A-OK with me

Top one is a "real" Miroku Winchester takedown cut down to 20" --- bottom one is the Chiappa "Trapper" with an 18.5" barrel --- although it has a heavy octagon barrel , the longer mag tube looks much more proportional than the latest factory Winchester offering i posted a link to above

Both of these are downright gorgeous rifles in comparison to the one i linked to above

----- Doug
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Streetstar wrote:This is what they should have done --- been researching internet photos on these things a bit ---- I'd prefer a shotgun butt for a big boomer like this too --- but the pistol grip is A-OK with me

Top one is a "real" Miroku Winchester takedown cut down to 20" --- bottom one is the Chiappa "Trapper" with an 18.5" barrel --- although it has a heavy octagon barrel , the longer mag tube looks much more proportional than the latest factory Winchester offering i posted a link to above

Both of these are downright gorgeous rifles in comparison to the one i linked to above

Either of these would work for me.. I prefer the 'rifle-style' fore end too.. It should be so easy to do it Right !!

At least, the chopped-up, 'new' offering isn't quite as bad as Mossberg's "tactical" 464... :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Streetstar wrote:Both of these are downright gorgeous rifles in comparison to the one I linked to above
True, but if you want a pretty short-rifle in .45, you need this, circa 1885:

Much shorter than 22", and any rifle looks weird to my eye.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

KWK wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Both of these are downright gorgeous rifles in comparison to the one I linked to above

Good looking '76... Reminds me of my 20", '73 Short Rifle..
Regards

Buck

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That 86 cries out for a shotgun or carbine butt. As others have mentioned, the short rifle looks right to me when the receiver is large like the 86, 76, or 73.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I agree. That things gonna kick like a highly irritated Missouri mule. The Miroku TD I had sported a 26" barrel and crescent buttstock and it was uncomfortable to shoot with anything more than trapdoor loads. The LW I replaced it with has a shotgun style buttstock and is much more comfortable to shoot with the same loads even tho it only has a 22" barrel.

If they get really cheap, $600 range, I might buy one for a rebuild project, other than that I'll pass.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I love those winchester stocks but the rest.....ugh
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I saw one "in the flesh" today. Not for me. I like my B-86 S.R.C. 1886.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My '86 extra light punches out 405 grainers @ 1950 fps, with no discomfort to most shooters.. It probably weighs about the same as this "trapper..."
Regards

Buck

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Well :shock: I happen to like the way it looks. Tho dont think I want to shoot a 350gr at more 1300-1500fps. I beginning to like light loads that penetrate and dont kick alot.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

:D

Well, I don't have any Lever in 45-70. So, I'd be happy to take any of these if my wallet was thicker. Looking that rifle butt has me thinking trap door loads would probably do fine for anything I'm likely to shoot.

A rebounding hammer can work but I'd prefer to replace it with what has worked fine for all this time.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KWK wrote:
Man, I'd LOVE that in a .40-65!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I took a look in George Madis WINCHESTER BOOK there are lots of 1886's with shotgun butt plates.
Carbines with carbine butt plates, shotgun or rifle butt plates. It does look like even back then buyers were ordering shotgun butt plates. Rifle forend caps on non-full length magazines carbines too.
Page 329 top has a 22" barrel, straight stock, otherwise like the one for sale.
Page 330 has 14 1/2" short rifle sold for line gun to US CG.
Shortest photo I could find was 19" half magazine with rifle forend cap.

I like your idea about waiting till the price comes down and then I would customize it to a period steel shotgun butt plate and a hammer that just drops without rebounding.