Browning 1886 Tang Sight (advice needed)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Browning 1886 Tang Sight (advice needed)

Post by OldBrownDog »

I have a Browning 1886, and just had a new Lyman No. 2 Tang Sight installed. Just looking at it, it seems I may need a taller front sight. Can anyone with some experience tell me if that is the case?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Browning 1886 Tang Sight (advice needed)

Post by Griff »

If, at the tang sight's lowest setting, the rear barrel sight interfers with your view of the front sight... I'd say, not.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If the tang sight's elevation adjustment is all the way "down", and the rifle shoots too high @ 100yds, a taller front sight would be indicated.

That's usually not the case with Winchester leverguns and the correct tang sight.
(Lyman makes a few different versions of the No.2 tang peep sight, with stem length and/or base differences.)

If the tang sight is the only rear sight(ing) system planned, then the rear bbl open/iron sight should be removed, to afford a clear/clean sight picture. (relpace the sight with either a commercial slot filler blank, or a blank filed out of the male dovetail section of any old rear longleaf rear bbl sight.

A better option, however, would be to keep the issue front sight (height), but switch the rear bbl sight for a folder - which permits setting the rifle up with dual zeroes:

1st zero: The rear bbl sight "up" & the tang folded, for a relatively short range (say, 50-75 yds) use on close, fastly-presented shots.

2nd zero: The rear bbl sight folded with the tang sight raised, for some longer range (say, 125-150yds) use on further away, more deliberate shots.

With practice, when stalking/etc in heavy cover off the bbl sights, it takes but a moment to fold the rear bbl open sight with one hand while the other hand raises the tang sight, when a target appears some distance away.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You said a Browning 86 so I'll assume 45-70, (my original Win 86 is 45-90) so similar trajectories. I use a tang sight on it that is regulated for 200 yards with the original barrel sight set for 100. Like Pete44 said this is the "way to go" for me. Never more than 3" from the line of sight out to 220 or so and I have killed a few whitetail with it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

I installed the Marbles improved tang for a similar issue.
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

Thanks for the advice guys. It is a Browning '86, .45/70. Any recommendations on a folding barrel sight? I like that solution better than a filler blank and currently have an empty dovetail that I need to fill.....
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Look at Brownell's web site, they have a good selection of sights and I know that Marbles makes a folding rear. Midway will probably have it too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

OldBrownDog wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. It is a Browning '86, .45/70. Any recommendations on a folding barrel sight? I like that solution better than a filler blank and currently have an empty dovetail that I need to fill.....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/986064 ... steel-blue
These are good sights. They are adjustable for height. A standard Marlin folding rear sight is an option too. I think the Marbles unit is snazzier. 1886.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Here is my Miroku/Winchester 1886 with Marbles Peep Tang and folding barrel sight - a good combo for this rifle:

UP- Image

Down - Image
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1886 wrote:
OldBrownDog wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. It is a Browning '86, .45/70. Any recommendations on a folding barrel sight? I like that solution better than a filler blank and currently have an empty dovetail that I need to fill.....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/986064 ... steel-blue
These are good sights. They are adjustable for height. A standard Marlin folding rear sight is an option too. I think the Marbles unit is snazzier. 1886.
Great - another thing on my wish list! :roll:
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

Ordered the Marble's #95 Folding Rear. Thanks for the help all!