You have one firearm to survive what is it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: You have one firearm to survive what is it?

Post by Panzercat »

With Zombies your little .22 combo rifles are fine... until you find yourself in a mess of them. Gonna be fun watching somebody operate that break action just to shove another single .22 into the breach while the zombie mob advances on you. Ruger 10/22 all the way, here.

For robot-bear-aliens, you're going to be hating life. A 10/22- or .22 of any sort -is just going to pee them off, and while I know everybody here is a crack shot at dispatching furry meat tanks, I think a lot of people are going to bent over with their caliber choice in this scenario.

Best of luck :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not concerned about mine.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, clear I am going to have to straighten you up on this. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

22 MAG would do it for me. Stellar accuracy out to 75 yards with good power, too.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

You have 5000 rds and a good chance that is it.
Why a .22 rimfire anything?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Guys, my Mossy is old. As in it was my first shotgun many decades ago. Yes, steel receiver, and single action bar. But considering I had it, and the only real modifications to make it the PJG were shortening the barrel, putting on a youth stock, and attaching the butt pad with Velcro, it has worked out very well.

You should know that I liked the idea so much I've done two things. I had the receiver D&Td and have mounted a dot sight on it. The other thing I did was take an old Franchi 48L in 20 ga. and turn it into the "Perfect Truck Gun". It now rides around in my pickup. It's receiver is aluminum, and I need to get it D&Td for a dot sight.

The old AR-7 now rides in the trunk of my wife's sedan. I'm looking for another old 20 to convert as the "Perfect Trunk Gun".

The good thing about the two finished(?) projects is that I had the base guns, and the only thing, other than stock swaps, need to be done were shortening the barrels, and D&Ting the receivers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:Guys,

You have 5000 rds and a good chance that is it.
Why a .22 rimfire anything?
No joke --- indigenous people went after large game because it burned lots of calories to go hunting --- taking down an animal at least 100 pounds gave a much better return on the calorie investment than small game. If one had to rely on birds and squirrels , you'd have to shoot a lot of them to make up for the energy expended in a long day afield

That said -- i originally stated i would prefer to have a rifle in .308 , with first choice being either a FAL or G3 variant , but any reasonably accurate 308 regardless of action type would do, as long as it had a reliable action
I still like that pick

However, since i have been tinkering around the internet looking at 1886's the last few days, -- i will have to give a strong honorable mention to a rifle like this :) -- take down 45/70. If you do see a squirrel , you'd have to bark it , -- and an optic would have to be mounted forward -- but what a cool rifle to spend the rest of your life with :) (i'd likely find my fishing pole to be far more important in an "end of days" type scenario anyway)

----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about a 500 S&W levergun...?

Pros:
  • Plenty of power
    Fairly fast to shoot
    Can use widely-available 50 caliber sabots to fire smaller bullets if needed
    Should be able to use a large variety of powders
    Moderate loads should allow brass re-use for multiple reloadings
    Not too likely to be 'banned' soon due to configuration
Cons:
  • Expensive
    'factory ammo' is expensive
    magazine capacity (like any levergun) is limited
    not a 'generic' gun - parts not widely available
Anyway, just another thought...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:How about a 500 S&W levergun...?

Pros:
  • Plenty of power
    Fairly fast to shoot
    Can use widely-available 50 caliber sabots to fire smaller bullets if needed
    Should be able to use a large variety of powders
    Moderate loads should allow brass re-use for multiple reloadings
    Not too likely to be 'banned' soon due to configuration
Cons:
  • Expensive
    'factory ammo' is expensive
    magazine capacity (like any levergun) is limited
    not a 'generic' gun - parts not widely available
Anyway, just another thought...

That (and the 45/70 i mentioned above too) would depend on the ratio of ammo you had --- out of 5000 rounds, i wouldnt expect to need full house rounds very often, - i'd like to have a bunch loaded down to replicate a 45/70 trapdoor load for most scenarios ---

-- but seems to me like the Big Horn would be about the same as choosing any levergun --- maybe not the absolute best for everything --- but a nice rifle to spend long nights around the campfire with :)

Hey Doc, will Big Horn make a Takedown version? -- i have been enamored with takedown guns lately myself -- and i blame my little 10/22 TD for giving me that bug
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good picks you two. :mrgreen:
Doc, the expensive cost factor in this scenerio cost who cares.
The 5000 rds and the gun is whatever you choose gun and ammo just magically appears.
:lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

5000 rds of these for good ol Doc
He will need himself to fix himself :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI
cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

20 mm vulcan with the 5000 rounds. I'll be going out in a very short blaze of glory.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I never could understand the Zombie thing.................. and thought it rather silly.
I thought you said you've been to the Alamogordo WalMart? :o :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have, but strange as it may seem; they are sentient beings.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I want a redo on my choice above. I chose my silenced .22 in that response but now I have another choice because I came up with a new plan. I would use my brockman/WWG takedown in 45-70. Why I have changed is that I am staring the process of developing a 45-70 shot shells, loaded to .410 standards. If these prove out, I think it will serve me well on small game to big game. And since it's a takedown, it will travel well in my pack, or in my MC saddle bags.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mike,
I once disposed of a couple boxes of 410 shot from a Marlin 444. The rifling caused a very disappointing pattern of two concentric circles with nothing in the middle. So a shot cup would be useful, I think.

Along similar lines, a sabot might also be a useful tool for cat sneeze close-in camp meat situations.... maybe just a 30 or 25 cal round ball.

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Grizz, I agree. But I was going to try use 45-90 brass and a paper wad for shot. If that does not work then in will fall back to round ball cat sneeze loads. Thanks. I have heard about the poor patterning due to the rifling. I know many have tried just shot and it seems the lead ball is always the fall back.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:[Hey Doc, will Big Horn make a Takedown version? -- i have been enamored with takedown guns lately myself -- and i blame my little 10/22 TD for giving me that bug
I don't know of any, but seeing as how they just told me to expect eight months before I can lay hands on my Spike Driver Carbine, don't hold your breath for new versions just yet.

I'm just sitting here imagining what 5,000 rounds of 500 S&W would cost, and how many pack-mules I'd need to tote all of it... :D

That little Thompson Machine 'Operative' 10/22 Takedown is sweet, with its integral suppressor... :mrgreen:
...I could have had one, too, for what I'll spend on the Bighorn, and probably just as quickly... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "