cold blue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

cold blue

Post by Mescalero »

I know we have been down this road before.
I do not know how to search for old posts or I would do so.
What is the best " touch up " cold blue you guys have used?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: cold blue

Post by Malamute »

The best I've used is the Brownells Oxpho blue (think thats the right one, its a blue liquid in a bottle). If you degrease the metal and warm it the cold blue takes better, even though I don't think the Brownells specifies either of those things.

I use a q-tip to apply it. I believe its not good for the solution to allow the used q-tip back in the unused stuff when doing extra treatments. I pour a little out in the cap, use it, then toss whatevers left over so as not to contaminate the good stuff in the bottle. You could also just use a brand new q-tip each time you dip, but I dont have to worry when putting some in the cap.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, Brownells Oxpho Blue.
NRA Life Member
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I've used the Blue Wonder products a couple times. They require the use of a small propane torch or some other method of heating to apply properly. It looks really good when you apply it, and you can match several different shades of blue depending on how much you apply, but the durability leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if this is true with most cold blueing products, but I might have to try the Oxpho Blue that the others have recommended.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OTOH, for small blips/areas, I get a decent hide/blend with Numrich Arms Formula 44-40 Cold Blue (liquid), de-greasing & warming the metal first.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:.
OTOH, for small blips/areas, I get a decent hide/blend with Numrich Arms Formula 44-40 Cold Blue (liquid), de-greasing & warming the metal first.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1072.aspx

Oxpho-Blue gives a darker, richer blue than the 44/40 stuff. As others have said warm the metal first, and use a dremel or drill with a wire wheel to polish. 3 coats will give a good blue, but more will really make it shine.

Steve
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Oxpho-blue in the gel (now they call it cream) is easiest to use for spot touch-up.